10 Picks 2019 draft and 3rd highest available cap space.

Ramza86

Just now, CountDorkula said:

Who is the #1 TE we are signing?  currently notable going to be UFAs next year.

Tyler Eifert

Jared Cook

Antonio Gates

Mercedes Lewis

Ben

Watson

The two best WR's currently available. Randall Cobb and Doug Baldwin.

If you had the opportunity to go play with Andrew Luck, Josh Allen, its an easy choice.

If you had the choice of NYC or Buffalo, most players are going to NYC.

While Buffalo may not be Siberia, they are very unattractive to players in terms of QB talent and location as opposed to

Houston

Dallas

Indy

KC

NYJ 

Im moving back to Buffalo in the next month, I love it but i'm not going to pretend that it has many advantages over other areas for millionaires. 

NYC to the Giants is one thing.  NYC to the Jets, quite another. 

I’ll take Eifert or Cook to pair with Croom. 

At WR, I’d go after Tyrell Williams, Donte Moncrief, Quincy Enunwa etc.. Plenty of WR2 types. 

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Ten picks and a lot of $$ is great, but can Beane and McD realize that it’s better to draft 10 players with those picks instead of 5 ? Good players are found all over the draft and the Bills need a lot more good players. The current regime’s penchant for paying multiple draft picks for one player isn’t a good strategy. 

You are basing this off of one draft? I think you need a lot more data to come up with a pattern of Beane's draft strategy.

And forget that McDermott / Whaley traded DOWN in the draft the year before, picking up more draft picks and Tredavious White.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

A few more Austin Proehl's, Tanner Vallejo's, and Nate Petey's and we'll be cooking boy.

The Bills have had 30 Rd 4+ draft picks since 2012.

only notable players to date

Taron Johnson

Matt Milano

Nate Peterman (For all the wrong reasons)

Karlos Williams - One and done

Nick O'Leary - Did you knows he didnt wear gloves?

Nigel Brandham

Ten picks and a lot of $$ is great, but can Beane and McD realize that it’s better to draft 10 players with those picks instead of 5 ? Good players are found all over the draft and the Bills need a lot more good players. The current regime’s penchant for paying multiple draft picks for one player isn’t a good strategy. 

Somehow I don't see them trading any picks coming up in April. Use all 10 and spend every penny in FA on offense. 

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The Bills have had 30 Rd 4+ draft picks since 2012.

only notable players to date

Taron Johnson

Matt Milano

Nate Peterman (For all the wrong reasons)

Karlos Williams - One and done

Nick O'Leary - Did you knows he didnt wear gloves?

Nigel Brandham

I have long said that the only way to become a powerhouse in the NFL outside of tanking is to draft a couple stars in the later rounds.  

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

NYC to the Giants is one thing.  NYC to the Jets, quite another. 

I’ll take Eifert or Cook to pair with Croom. 

At WR, I’d go after Tyrell Williams, Donte Moncrief, Quincy Enunwa etc.. Plenty of WR2 types. 

Eifert has only started in 20% (17) games the past 5 years. He is on IR yet again. He is done

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Enunwa won't make it to FA. Jets will resign him. 

That’s fine if he is.  There’s plenty of WR2’s that may become available. 

I’ll admit TE1 could be tricky.  If we can’t get Cook, we may just roll with Clay for another year or draft a TE. 

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

You are basing this off of one draft? I think you need a lot more data to come up with a pattern of Beane's draft strategy.

And forget that McDermott / Whaley traded DOWN in the draft the year before, picking up more draft picks and Tredavious White.

2 drafts for McD. While we know he chose to move down instead of draft a badly needed QB ( due to organizational dysfunction), he also paid multiple draft picks for Zay Jones and Dawkins. Two drafts of move ups is definitely a pattern. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

2 drafts for McD. While we know he chose to move down instead of draft a badly needed QB ( due to organizational dysfunction), he also paid multiple draft picks for Zay Jones and Dawkins. Two drafts of move ups is definitely a pattern. 

Absolutely not a pattern. Patterns require at least 3 points of reference. So far you have one draft to support your claim, which is Beane's first draft. Before that, Beane was not here and they traded up and down.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Absolutely not a pattern. Patterns require at least 3 points of reference. So far you have one draft to support your claim, which is Beane's first draft. Before that, Beane was not here and they traded up and down.

Nope. They traded down due only to organizational dysfunction of entering  a draft with a lame duck GM. McD was making the picks, and he moved up multiple times for specific players rather than letting the draft come to him and spending just a single pick. McDermott has been involved in just two Bills drafts, so that’s the data we have to go by. They seem to have a penchant for wasting picks. I, for one hope it stops. This team needs a lot of players after their roster purge. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Nope. They traded down due only to organizational dysfunction of Exeter INT a draft with a lame duck GM. McD was making the picks, and he moved up multiple times for specific players rather than letting the draft come to him and spending just a single pick. McDermott has been involved in just two Bills drafts, so that’s the data we have to go by. They seem to have a penchant for wasting picks. I, for one hope it stops. This team needs a lot of players after their roster purge. 

I think it is more important to get the RIGHT players than to get more players.  If there is someone that McBeane has identified and wants to trade up for them, I am all for it.....  But that has everything to do with how much confidence you have in them, I trust them at the moment to find the right players and go out and get them...  That may change in a year or two.

8 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

FA:  2 Oline top FA; 1 veteran above average WR

draft:

1: WR

2: edge rusher

3: OL

super bowl

We just put all that money in Murphy, I think Jerry Hughes has a TON of good football left in him. Sure, a rotational guy rounds 3-7? I can get onboard with that, but not a high pick. RDS 1-3 should be all offense, defense can have the leftovers.

Just now, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

I think it is more important to get the RIGHT players than to get more players.  If there is someone that McBeane has identified and wants to trade up for them, I am all for it.....  But that has everything to do with how much confidence you have in them, I trust them at the moment to find the right players and go out and get them...  That may change in a year or two.

A certain number of NFL draft picks pan out. It’s great to have convictions on players , but odds are these guys aren’t better than the field at drafting. Picking more players increases your odds that you get some keepers. Zay Jones is in year two and we still don’t know if he can play. Spending multiple picks on non- quarterbacks isn’t a good strategy when you purge the roster of pre existing talent. GMs and HCs don’t get 5 seasons to turn teams around anymore. 

Tarone Johnson in the 4th is looking to be a steal. Phillips in the 3rd is 50/50 right now.  Im not sold on this regime, but I give them props for ripping the band aid off and not allowing a complete hemorrhage this season. 

Having ten picks and loads of cap space with a somewhat quality defense in place is a great problem to have. 

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Tarone Johnson in the 4th is looking to be a steal. Phillips in the 3rd is 50/50 right now.  Im not sold on this regime, but I give them props for ripping the band aid off and not allowing a complete hemorrhage this season. 

Having ten picks and loads of cap space with a somewhat quality defense in place is a great problem to have. 

I’m not saying having ten picks is bad in any way, but history shows they will not all be good players. Take only 5 players with those ten picks, and you’re left with even less. I hope they draft closer to ten. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

They know defense, which is why I think offense should be picked first. Beane and McD can add solid defensive talent RDS 3-7, I'm sure of it.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with you to a point.  With some players...those that can change the complexion of one side of the ball...QB or MLB...that are coveted by the teams picking ahead of you, it is necessary to move up and spend the picks.  (e.g. Allen and Edmunds)  That's why it was imperative for Buffalo to acquire the additional draft capital for this year's draft.  I hear where you're coming from, though, and by and large don't think it should be done for players where there is a lot of draft depth (e.g. Sammy Watkins).