10 Picks 2019 draft and 3rd highest available cap space.

Ramza86

59 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

A certain number of NFL draft picks pan out. It’s great to have convictions on players , but odds are these guys aren’t better than the field at drafting. Picking more players increases your odds that you get some keepers. Zay Jones is in year two and we still don’t know if he can play. Spending multiple picks on non- quarterbacks isn’t a good strategy when you purge the roster of pre existing talent. GMs and HCs don’t get 5 seasons to turn teams around anymore. 

I would disagree that McBeane are not better than the field at drafting but admittedly that is just my gut feeling...  I believe these guys know how to identify good players, not that they won't have their misses but I think they hit at a higher rate than most others.  I think the Edmunds pick is a perfect example of this in that they knew he was a fit because of many reasons (talent, character, etc..) and his position is one in which they value highly so they chose to spend the draft capital to get him.  They have traded up for positions they strongly value, QB (Obviously important), MLB (Leader of their defense), LT (Cornerstone of any good offense), WR (What they may have thought was a WR1 or WR2).  Now if they are trading up for guards and fullbacks or other positions that are not highly valued, we have an issue IMO.  There could also be an issue with the Zay Jones pick in that he has obviously not shown to be as good as they thought he was... hopefully he develops further and proves them right but I don't think anyone would have been upset with the tradeup if they had taken Juju instead of Zay because that is certainly an important position and it would be helping our rookie QB a lot right now if they had hit a home run on that pick.

While I understand your point of the draft being somewhat of a guessing game and coaches not getting 5 years to rebuild anymore, I guess I am really hoping that the Pegula's do give McBeane 5 years as they have shown to have a vision (Whether it comes to fruition is yet to be seen) and I do believe if given that time we could have something special that was well thought out.

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Ten picks and a lot of $$ is great, but can Beane and McD realize that it’s better to draft 10 players with those picks instead of 5 ? Good players are found all over the draft and the Bills need a lot more good players. The current regime’s penchant for paying multiple draft picks for one player isn’t a good strategy. 

Yeah, I think Whaley wrote the book on how to dwindle precious draft capital unnecessarily. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think what ppl miss is we actually are not at the start of the rebiuld....we are actually in year 2 of it.

Year one was last year when we jettisoned contracts and players that didnt fit McD's vision.....this year was about getting the qb and eating a poo poo sandwich of dead cap......next year is the money year.

It is masked because McD is such a good coach that we made the playoffs in year 1 of the rebiuld.....now we are 2-3 in the poo poo dead cap sandwich year (which is actually hurting our draft pick status)

Hope this is true.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Ten picks and a lot of $$ is great, but can Beane and McD realize that it’s better to draft 10 players with those picks instead of 5 ? Good players are found all over the draft and the Bills need a lot more good players. The current regime’s penchant for paying multiple draft picks for one player isn’t a good strategy. 

Whether or not trading up or down is good or bad is subjective.  It's a good strategy if the player your trading up for has the ability to be elite at their position and he pans out. 

Did Atlanta make a mistake by trading up for Julio Jones?  People will complain we gave up too much to get Allen, but how did Carson Wentz work out?

Personally I loved the Edmunds deal.  How often do you get the chance do draft a first tier MLB?  They are few and far between and you pretty much need one to have a great defense.

Some people act like each prospect has an equal chance of panning out.  If Edmunds hits his high end potential, we will all laugh about how people actually complained about trading up for them.

Say what you will about the lack of offensive talent on this team but I think they have done very well in the draft.  

Said it before but will say it again, if I were Beane I'd try and trade down to get a second 2nd rounder, then grab a wr with my first rounder, plus a lineman and a second wr with my 2nd rounders. I'd go for maybe a TE in round 3 depending on what's there or another lineman. 

Then grab a couple of receivers in FA plus a couple more linemen. 

Hell, I'd use some of my later picks on linemen too. I don't just want new starters, I want to overhaul the depth as well. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

This sounds good and you'll get a lot of pats on the back but it's just your opinion.  I will take a MLB like Edmunds all day over what we would have had with the picks we have up for him.  

Quantity does not equal quality.  There are good times to trade up and good times to trade down.  Knowing the difference is what is important.  

Saying it is always better to trade down when not considering, your own team needs, positional depth in the draft, where drop offs in talent may be, and the individual talent levels of certain prospects and their ceilings is simply ridiculous.  

Unfortunately we will muddle 7 wins or so this year and be out of the top ten picks. We will then waste most of the picks moving up in the draft. This happens year in and year out.  It would be better to just lose this year so we could draft higher with all those picks but players and coaches obviously have pride so we will have to hope to hit on a few of them.

5 hours ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

And they are still finding ways to win games this year. 

...grinders.....I venture to say 2019 with draft capital AND a boatload in the FA "cookie jar", it is probably one of the most pivotal years in the last 20......will be interesting to see how much control McDermott exhibits.....similar to his idol Andy Reid as KC's GM, HC and Personnel Director with McBeane taking orders?....OR....does McBeane and his staff of 17+ play a major role in decision making?.......stay tuned............

10 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Or in the draft.  WR thin in both places.

True but I believe both Tyrell Williams from SD and Martavis Bryant from OAK are going to be FAs, either of them would make solid additions w/ a solid draft pick + Jones provided he keeps improving.

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This sounds good and you'll get a lot of pats on the back but it's just your opinion.  I will take a MLB like Edmunds all day over what we would have had with the picks we have up for him.  

Quantity does not equal quality.  There are good times to trade up and good times to trade down.  Knowing the difference is what is important.  

Saying it is always better to trade down when not considering, your own team needs, positional depth in the draft, where drop offs in talent may be, and the individual talent levels of certain prospects and their ceilings is simply ridiculous.  

Definitely not saying it’s better to trade down at all. However, trading up for non QBs is rarely worth the extra cost. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
25 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Definitely not saying it’s better to trade down at all. However, trading up for non QBs is rarely worth the extra cost. 

Who would you rather have, Tremaine Edmunds, or Rashaan Evans and Brandon Parker?

11 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Who would you rather have, Tremaine Edmunds, or Rashaan Evans and Brandon Parker?

Would you prefer Zay Jones, or Smith- Schuster ? Trading up for non QBs when you’ve purged a roster down to expansion team level isn’t smart if you expect to be good in just a couple years. We don’t even know if Allen will be worth it, there’s a good chance he won’t . With the amount of needs on this offense, drafting ten offensive players isn’t a bad strategy. It’s too bad next draft looks top heavy on DL talent. The Bills needs offense desperately. 

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

They know defense, which is why I think offense should be picked first. Beane and McD can add solid defensive talent RDS 3-7, I'm sure of it.

If you think you have “your qb” then you go bpa rounds 1-3. Thats my opinion thou. In FA I would be seeking WR, OL, LB, TE in that order.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

If you think you have “your qb” then you go bpa rounds 1-3. Thats my opinion thou. In FA I would be seeking WR, OL, LB, TE in that order.

Keyword buddy, in your opinion! Well said, my friend! There's probably 100,000 people on this board with 100,000 different opinions on how we should build the team!! LOL! Some more informed than others, only time I get pissed off at someone for their opinion is when they don't use facts to back it up! Especially around draft time, you'll see fans banging the board for multiple reasons: #1- His name sounds cool. #2- Sensationalized by the national media. #3- Played on such and such big school. They know who they are and it's super annoying!

32 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Keyword buddy, in your opinion! Well said, my friend! There's probably 100,000 people on this board with 100,000 different opinions on how we should build the team!! LOL! Some more informed than others, only time I get pissed off at someone for their opinion is when they don't use facts to back it up! Especially around draft time, you'll see fans banging the board for multiple reasons: #1- His name sounds cool. #2- Sensationalized by the national media. #3- Played on such and such big school. They know who they are and it's super annoying!

Thanks- ive tried to reallly excercise restraint on here and understand everyone has different points of views or rationales. That said, and as you know, some make it their mission to be nasty, condescending, and know it alls- even when they are so far out there- and yes, they certainly know who they are. 

• Like (+1) 1