THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Outstanding!

Shaw66

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's what I realized after the game and said in my write up.   Young QBs need playing time.   They need to be on the field, calling plays, looking over defenses, making changes at the line, managing the whole game.   They need to log hours of playing time.   What's better than logging those with a run-oriented offense that wins game?   Minimize rookie QB mistakes, get rookie QB experience, win games.   Can't win a Super Bowl like that, but you can get your QB ready to win one.

reps reps reps… like anything else in life...

as a fitness professional I relate it to what I call "time under the bar".... I don't always have my clients and young athletes going all out with maximal loads to feel like they got an insane workout. we train for the long haul. reps reps reps.  we are consistently putting in our "time under the bar" to be ready for the big days.

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I was putting up with calling yesterday outstanding over and over but I literally stopped reading after you said Allen had an excellent game.

Did you watch the McD's locker room speech?   You don't think that team thought the win was outstanding?

Did you miss Allen's winning field goal drive?   Did you miss Allen's TD run?   He made the plays he needed to make to win the game. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thank you Shaw! I enjoyed reading another well written synopsis. I agree wholeheartedly that yesterday was "outstanding" for where the Bills are right now. It clearly shows that McDermott once again knows the pulse of his players. He obviously pressed the coordinators to fix their deficiencies and call games to their players strengths. It was a nice showing by the guys who stepped up from the practice squad, the bench and other teams to contribute on the field. I liked seeing them succeed filling in for injuries. I also liked the aggressive play calling when past Bills teams might have gone conservative.

I don't get all the hate. I really like where this team is going toward the future. I think you get it.

There were definitely outstanding moments during the game, and outstanding players and schemes, but the game itself was not.  It was, however, very satisfying.  I have nothing to complain about other than a weak passing game and a few receivers that seem to be mailing it in.  I'm not sure at this point what to think of this team, but I really do like the head coach and Josh Allen, they both have guts.

Will I pick them over Houston?  This is the first week I really don't know.

20 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

There were definitely outstanding moments during the game, and outstanding players and schemes, but the game itself was not.  It was, however, very satisfying.  I have nothing to complain about other than a weak passing game and a few receivers that seem to be mailing it in.  I'm not sure at this point what to think of this team, but I really do like the head coach and Josh Allen, they both have guts.

Will I pick them over Houston?  This is the first week I really don't know.

As an entertainment, you're right, it wasn't outstanding.  But I'm not a movie reviewer, I'm a football fan.  When my team wins, I'm happy.  When they play relatively mistake-free football and win on the last play, it's outstanding. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, billspro said:

The game is slowing down for Edmunds. He was everywhere yesterday. He has the potential to be the next great Bills LB.

I was going to complain about Edmunds again this week, but I decided I hadn't watched him enough.  Every time I saw him he was standing next to the pile.  

I've seen some comments that he caused one or both fumbles and was good against the pass. What did you see?

Edited by Shaw66

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I was going to complain about Edmunds again this week, but I decided I hadn't watched him enough.  Every time I saw him he was standing next to the pile.  

I've seen some comments that he caused one or both fumbles and was good against the pass. What did you see?

Its not like I was focusing on him every play but his speed is fantastic. The forced fumble was a great play. I am not worried about Watson running at all next week with him on the field.

39 minutes ago, billspro said:

Its not like I was focusing on him every play but his speed is fantastic. The forced fumble was a great play. I am not worried about Watson running at all next week with him on the field.

I've been wondering whether his biggest effect is that we aren't seeing him.  We saw him all day against the Chargers, because Rivers threw to whoever was being covered by Edmunds.  That hasn't been happening the last couple of weeks. 

This is a team that is only going to get younger. It’s nice to see them find a way to win, as opposed to the old fashioned collapse with penalties and turnovers at crucial times. Learning to win is part of the process. Now, we still have a way to go, but all I want to see out of this year is progress and hope, especially at QB. 

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is a team that is only going to get younger. It’s nice to see them find a way to win, as opposed to the old fashioned collapse with penalties and turnovers at crucial times. Learning to win is part of the process. Now, we still have a way to go, but all I want to see out of this year is progress and hope, especially at QB. 

I will be amazed if you don't see at QB and at MLB.  No better way to learn. 

Allen will have some big games this year.  May not attempt 40 passes, but he will have some high rating games.  

It was good to see them win a close game that they controlled most of the game but still had to come back in the end.

A few thoughts from being at the game

- Have to say that during warm-ups the team was as animated as I have ever seen them – esp the defense.  It gave me a good feeling going into the game

- Allen’s TD run to top off that first drive was crazy – you just had the feeling right then that the offense was just going to go off the rest of the game…   At that point I never would have thought we would not see the EZ again the rest of the game

- Jordan Phillips was extremely hype between plays all game – don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so animated during a game.  There was a series where he was making plays then going crazy exhorting the crowd between them and I was thinking - my God, it’s going to be hard for the coaching staff to take him off the field, and when they do is he going to F-bomb them?

- At the game we all thought at the time the botched FG was a mishandled snap and nothing more – it wasn’t until we were driving home that we heard on the radio the whole fake FG theory – took us completely by surprise

- The improvements to the area inside the club section to reduce congestion were well done!

- During halftime Bojangles and Hauschka were trying punts.  BJ was in obvious pain every time he caught the ball and kicked.  I was thinking it might be a disaster in the 2nd half if the snap wasn’t perfect because it looked like he couldn’t lift his one arm at all, and if the snap went high or off to the side at all I didn’t think he’d be able to field it.  Also was worried about him being able to hold the snap for FG – made the drama on the last kick even greater for me.  Hauschka BTW had some damn fine punts – I thought for sure he would be punting in the 2nd half, with the way BJ was in such obvious pain every kick

- At one point we had three turnovers and still hadn’t scored off any of them – I was thinking what a travesty it would be to have 3 turnovers and lose a game.  The turnovers were huge in the game.  It will be hard to always have to count on multiple turnovers a game to win - hopefully the rest of the team can contribute more in the future.  

- The drop in the EZ by the Titans WR was so huge – was nice to see some plays go the Bills way

- Was great seeing players come over and stand up for Allen on the late hit on the sidelines – thought for sure they would end up getting a flag but bonus that they didn't go over the line to get penalized 

- On the last kick I could barely watch, and as the kick was on it’s way and it was hard to see if it was actually going to go through, and this guy behind me yells “He missed it!” and I just completely sank for a second OMG

- Taron Johnson is playing through an obviously painful injury.  At one point he left the field with his arm just dangling at his side and I thought for sure he was done for the day – then the next time I notice him later in the game he is flying down the field making a hit on a kick return.  Kid is a warrior

- After the game both Shaq and Fred Jackson were at the airport on my son's flight out.  He got a pic with each of them at the gate  :)   Nice ending to a day with a nice win

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

“Outstanding”

The Bills were outstanding Sunday afternoon, beating the Tennessee Titans 13-12 on Stephen Hauschka’s 46-yard field goal on the last play of the game. 

“Outstanding?”  Yes, outstanding.  There is a lot to talk about in the NFL, but there is only one measure of success, and that’s winning.  When you make the plays to win, you’re outstanding. 

“Really, outstanding?”  Yes.  When you put together a fourth-quarter drive to win the game, you’re outstanding.

“But it was only the Titans.”  Yes, the Titans were 3-1 but had played like they were 1-3.  Statistically, they were indistinguishable from the Bills.  Doesn’t matter.  It’s the NFL, and nobody gives you anything in the NFL.  You have to earn it against your opponent, whoever the opponent is.  There were plenty of ways to lose to the Titans, and plenty of Bills teams over the past 15 years would have found them.  Not this Bills team, not this Sunday.

“But Josh Allen, the Bills’ ‘star’ rookie quarterback, was 10-19 for less than 100 yards and an interception.”  Perfect, actually.  What more could you ask than to give your rookie more game experience without asking him to win the game?  Allen had an excellent game.  He made a couple of bad throws (one too low to Benjamin that Kelvin should have gone down for and might have caught, a couple of others not as accurate as you’d like, and one perhaps a split second too early to Holmes that resulted in the interception), but in general Allen’s throws were on target and out of harm’s way.  The flea flicker was probably a throwaway.

Most importantly, Allen was in control on the winning drive.  No panic, no mistakes.  He needed to make only two routine throws to win the game, and he made them, on target so that McCoy and McCloud could make the critical runs after the catches.   

Allen didn’t take sacks, he didn’t turn it over and he had another highlight-reel touchdown run. 

Allen’s a keeper.

“But the Bills passing game is so horrible that they had to play one-dimensional running football.”  Actually, there were signs of life in the Bills’ passing game.  Zay Jones looked like a quality receiver; running crisp routes and catching the ball.  McCloud contributed. 

And the Bills did some of the overdue innovation their passing game needed.  They actually ran a couple quick crossing routes that almost guarantee a receiver will be open for gains worth taking.  They ran a couple of rub routes, and Allen had a nice completion to Clay over the middle that should be there all day.  The Bills also had Allen on the move more, giving him time to look downfield instead of scrambling to avoid the pass rush.  Roll-outs do have the disadvantage of shrinking the available passing lanes, but Allen’s running threat tends to neutralize that problem by opening holes as the defenders cheat toward the line of scrimmage.  Look for more roll-outs next week, as Allen tries to outrun Watt and Clowney.  

A lot of fans complained when the Bills signed Chris Ivory as LeSean McCoy’s backup.  They aren’t complaining today.  On Sunday, Ivory was the guy who bedeviled the Bills for years with the Jets.  He’s one tough dude.  And Shady was Shady, almost good enough to carry the team completely on his own.  The defense must key on him every down he’s on the field, and when he’s out, Ivory is pounding away. 

The Bills defense put in another excellent day of work.  Hyde’s absence didn’t hurt them, Milano stood out, again, with visible plays all over the field, and the pass rush hurried Mariota, even if the Bills couldn’t catch him. 

It’s time to get used to it – the Bills play bend-don’t-break defense.  More or less every team can move the ball against the Bills between the 20s, because they will give up the short stuff in order to stop anything deep.  It was no surprise that the Titans kicked four field goals; the Bills’ TD defense has been stingy for the past three weeks. 

The Taron Johnson INT was sweet.  Perfect position and a great break on the ball to make the play.  Preparation plus talent equals success.

“But outstanding, really?”  Yes, outstanding, because with the game on the line the Bills’ coaches asked the players to execute the plan the coaches had installed during the week – pound the ball, get first downs, run the clock – and the players executed, perfectly.  It was McDermott’s process on display.  Prepare, practice, execute.  Prepare, practice, execute.  The process produces wins. 

We’re all so conditioned to the pass-happy NFL that with four minutes left, Bills fans everywhere were wondering how this rookie QB and those receivers were going to make the plays the Bills needed to win the game.  The answer was the Bills didn’t need them.  The Bills engineered a masterful four-and-a-half-minute, 11-play drive to win the game.  It was more or less perfect – no penalties, no plays for negative yards, no incompletions, one third down conversion, excellent clock management, routine execution on the field goal. 

In the NFL, the name of the game is winning.  In the first six weeks of the season, the name of the game is winning with a team that isn’t yet fully formed, against teams that you don’t know a lot about.  With a rookie quarterback, the name of the game is winning while your kid is trying to figure out how to win.  

Winning with a rookie QB in the first six weeks of the NFL season is OUTSTANDING.

On to Houston!

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Seems like I've been reading the Rockpile Review for almost a decade. It's a tradition after every Bills game. Thank you

36 minutes ago, stevewin said:

At one point we had three turnovers and still hadn’t scored off any of them – I was thinking what a travesty it would be to have 3 turnovers and lose a game. 

The TD was off of a turnover.

59 minutes ago, stevewin said:

It was good to see them win a close game that they controlled most of the game but still had to come back in the end.

A few thoughts from being at the game

- Have to say that during warm-ups the team was as animated as I have ever seen them – esp the defense.  It gave me a good feeling going into the game

- Allen’s TD run to top off that first drive was crazy – you just had the feeling right then that the offense was just going to go off the rest of the game…   At that point I never would have thought we would not see the EZ again the rest of the game

- Jordan Phillips was extremely hype between plays all game – don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so animated during a game.  There was a series where he was making plays then going crazy exhorting the crowd between them and I was thinking - my God, it’s going to be hard for the coaching staff to take him off the field, and when they do is he going to F-bomb them?

- At the game we all thought at the time the botched FG was a mishandled snap and nothing more – it wasn’t until we were driving home that we heard on the radio the whole fake FG theory – took us completely by surprise

- The improvements to the area inside the club section to reduce congestion were well done!

- During halftime Bojangles and Hauschka were trying punts.  BJ was in obvious pain every time he caught the ball and kicked.  I was thinking it might be a disaster in the 2nd half if the snap wasn’t perfect because it looked like he couldn’t lift his one arm at all, and if the snap went high or off to the side at all I didn’t think he’d be able to field it.  Also was worried about him being able to hold the snap for FG – made the drama on the last kick even greater for me.  Hauschka BTW had some damn fine punts – I thought for sure he would be punting in the 2nd half, with the way BJ was in such obvious pain every kick

- At one point we had three turnovers and still hadn’t scored off any of them – I was thinking what a travesty it would be to have 3 turnovers and lose a game.  The turnovers were huge in the game.  It will be hard to always have to count on multiple turnovers a game to win - hopefully the rest of the team can contribute more in the future.  

- The drop in the EZ by the Titans WR was so huge – was nice to see some plays go the Bills way

- Was great seeing players come over and stand up for Allen on the late hit on the sidelines – thought for sure they would end up getting a flag but bonus that they didn't go over the line to get penalized 

- On the last kick I could barely watch, and as the kick was on it’s way and it was hard to see if it was actually going to go through, and this guy behind me yells “He missed it!” and I just completely sank for a second OMG

- Taron Johnson is playing through an obviously painful injury.  At one point he left the field with his arm just dangling at his side and I thought for sure he was done for the day – then the next time I notice him later in the game he is flying down the field making a hit on a kick return.  Kid is a warrior

- After the game both Shaq and Fred Jackson were at the airport on my son's flight out.  He got a pic with each of them at the gate  :)   Nice ending to a day with a nice win

Steve 

Thanks for this. I had several of the same reactions.  After the TD in as sure the Bulls were on their way.  

So WAS the flubbed field goal a fake?  When it happened it looked to me like a fake.  Something wasn't right about it. 

I watched the kickers during half time too.  BJ was hurting. I kept saying he should go to locker room and get a pain shot. Those guys are tough. 

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Oh that catch and immediate stop and turn was vintage Shady.    I don't know if I've ever seen that before.  

Honorable mention was that Jason Croom catch at his feet AND behind him, he somehow picks it up and manages to get upfield like 8 yards on that play.   

He's a really talented kid, I'm wondering if there is any route that KB runs that Croom can't, because we oughta start targeting the guys that make plays over guys that keep letting us down.   Jason played WR for three years in college before converting to TE, he's the same size as KB, we already know who the better blocker is, lets get off this whole WR1  WR2  nonsense and work in the guys with hands, toughness and determination.  If it means 3 TE's and Zay then lets install some new personnel packages.

You never know what you have on your team until you play a handful of real games.   The good ones re-tool and adjust, not based on names but production.

Totally agree! 

Shaw, you and I are normally on the same page, but I just have to ask... did you recently start smoking a lot of dope?

No judgement on my part if you did.

I'm just asking because I think you're much too high on Allen in that game. I think, much like you, that it's great for him to be out there and struggle while the team still wins games. 

But Allen wasn't outstanding.

He flashed. And there's no way in hell he shouldn't be starting right now. But he struggled. And I blame Daboll for that. You seem to conjure up a couple "good" plays from Daboll to show the outstandingness of the game, but I just saw a small handful of really good play calls/ designs (the Ray Ray screen immediately comes to mind) and a whole bunch of Ivory and McCoy and, most importantly, the Defense (honorable mention to Hauschka) bailing out a QB and WRs who are just seriously struggling with chemistry and rhythm and timing and accuracy and getting open and...

All of this just makes me wish Allen were getting the #1 reps from the beginning of the Summer even more in order to become more comfortable in the system and gain more chemistry with the guys he's throwing to.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but Allen starting sooner rather than later this season seemed pretty inevitable based off the QBs we had on our roster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Shaw, you and I are normally on the same page, but I just have to ask... did you recently start smoking a lot of dope?

No judgement on my part if you did.

I'm just asking because I think you're much too high on Allen in that game. I think, much like you, that it's great for him to be out there and struggle while the team still wins games. 

But Allen wasn't outstanding.

He flashed. And there's no way in hell he shouldn't be starting right now. But he struggled. And I blame Daboll for that. You seem to conjure up a couple "good" plays from Daboll to show the outstandingness of the game, but I just saw a small handful of really good play calls/ designs (the Ray Ray screen immediately comes to mind) and a whole bunch of Ivory and McCoy and, most importantly, the Defense (honorable mention to Hauschka) bailing out a QB and WRs who are just seriously struggling with chemistry and rhythm and timing and accuracy and getting open and...

All of this just makes me wish Allen were getting the #1 reps from the beginning of the Summer even more in order to become more comfortable in the system and gain more chemistry with the guys he's throwing to.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but Allen starting sooner rather than later this season seemed pretty inevitable based off the QBs we had on our roster.

I don't get fans.  

I'm all about the games.  If someone asks me of all the kinds of Bills games I can go to, out of wins, losses, blowout wins, blowout lossess, last minute wins, last minute losses, etc., last minute wins is way up there.  Games where my team doesn't make a lot of mistakes are up there. Games where they get a lot of takeaways are up there. 

Sunday was one of those games.  

A lot of fans, like you, are evaluating the quality of the entertainment, or what it says about the future or something else.  I went to the game and saw my team do a lot of good things and drive for the winning score.   I saw two of my guys, the running backs, grind it out.   

I loved it.

Allen?  I'm convinced Allen will be great.  I'm happy when I see evidence of it.  Like the INT throw.  Man, what a throw!  Right read, beautiful throw.  It was a sign of things to come. 

I liked how Allen delivered the ball on the last two passes.  I liked how composed he was.  

I don't need Allen to be a finished product this month. Darnold isnt. Mayfield isn't.  Sure, I see things that need to get better.  That goes without saying.  But I'm not seeing any horridle problems.  

Bottom line, I'm an old-time fan. I love to watch my team win.  It was outstanding. 

Edited by Shaw66

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

My brother's a football smartie, watched him every snap and was commenting along as we played D.   The general take is that he's playing great ball sideline to sideline, disruptive (caused INT last week on a tip and forced fumble this week) and good already at read n react speed, but gap reads and shedding blocks in obvious run plays needs work.  At least against Titans thats what he saw.

Usually long armed LB's can keep those 300 pounders from getting under their pads and holding them on run plays, which they pretty much will do everytime and then let go a millisecond before the ref would flag em.

Like Lorenzo Alexander says, in the NFL you get held every play, you either learn to live with it and try to counter it or you end up on the sidelines.