Offensive identity

BmarvB

Call it prehistoric, outdated, or whatever. This is not a run and gun offense, we just don't have the guns for that yet. This is still a ground and pound offense and that's what works for them. We have Shady and now Chris Ivory who is a major upgrade over Mike Tolbert. This is the strength of the offense, and just what Allen needs to help in his development. He's nowhere near ready to carry the offense yet - and he really doesn't need to. The identity of the offense remains bang away with the running game,work the short passing game, and wear down the opponent's  defense.  That's what's going to work for them while Allen continues to learn and develop. Let's just hope his accuracy gets better over time

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn’t mind seeing more bubble screens to Ray Ray and Zay.  Basically an extension of the run game.  

I don’t trust any of these guys to run slants.  All I see are balls bouncing off their hands straight to the defenders.  

Run game, bubble screens, short outs, deep posts, seam routes, bootlegs and a few playaction deep shots. 

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing more bubble screens to Ray Ray and Zay.  Basically an extension of the run game.  

I don’t trust any of these guys to run slants.  All I see are balls bouncing off their hands straight to the defenders.  

Run game, bubble screens, short outs, deep posts, seam routes, bootlegs and a few playaction deep shots. 

Agreed. Allen would probably be more comfortable with that for now until the defenders start jumping those routes. Then he can burn them with deep shots down the field. I think  Ray Ray should get more targets. Allen did appear to have more chemistry with him in preseason, and it's not like we're getting much from the guys ahead of him anyway so why not go to him more?

Edited by BmarvB
  • Like (+1) 2

Offensive Identity....I'm all for finding one.

The only problem with the shorter patterns is that other teams are putting a lot of guys within 15 yards of LOS.  The deeper routes are being left open, and the offense is going to have to exploit those.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The only problem with the shorter patterns is that other teams are putting a lot of guys within 15 yards of LOS.  The deeper routes are being left open, and the offense is going to have to exploit those.

Yup.  For our offense to begin scoring in the 20’s or higher, this is the next evolution.  

The blame on the lack of pushing the ball down the field probably lies 50/50 on Allen and the WRs.  

Our Offensive Line, since finding some continuity actually (knock on wood) hasn’t been bad.  That being said, I don’t think the Texans DL is one we should be relying on them to hold up for a ton of long patterns. 

Sad we dont have a real deep threat. Foster has a knack for getting open deep....but we all see how hes been doing. 

I agree with the quick release and ground and pound. I was all for yesterdays offense...but without that deep presence I can see it being shut down very quickly. 

Honestly, just do some more small, high percentage checks.

Daboll should let Allen make quick throws to WRs on the outside if the CB's are more than 5 yards off before the snap. Brady probably has a 1000 completions of that sort. They are not glizty but they can get you a free 3 yards and maybe more if the WR can beat the CB 1:1.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Keep everyone guessing, works for Notre Dame

1 hour ago, BmarvB said:

Call it prehistoric, outdated, or whatever. This is not a run and gun offense, we just don't have the guns for that yet. This is still a ground and pound offense and that's what works for them. We have Shady and now Chris Ivory who is a major upgrade over Mike Tolbert. This is the strength of the offense, and just what Allen needs to help in his development. He's nowhere near ready to carry the offense yet - and he really doesn't need to. The identity of the offense remains bang away with the running game,work the short passing game, and wear down the opponent's  defense.  That's what's going to work for them while Allen continues to learn and develop. Let's just hope his accuracy gets better over time

this is what a young QB needs.  Get some more help on the O-line and some WR help in 2019 draft and we could be seeing marked improvement.  

Ivory looked like his old-self yesterday.   Reminded me of Beast-Mode on that final drive.  Loved watching it.  

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Sad we dont have a real deep threat. Foster has a knack for getting open deep....but we all see how hes been doing. 

I agree with the quick release and ground and pound. I was all for yesterdays offense...but without that deep presence I can see it being shut down very quickly. 

Can't put Shady in a box.   If you do, Ivory will break it open! 

7 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Im not sure having an "Identity" is a priority in a young qb developmental year.

We should all look for developmental progression from Allen. The biggest concern I have at this point is that Allen's accuracy appears to have been rightfully in question all along. 

3 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

We should all look for developmental progression from Allen. The biggest concern I have at this point is that Allen's accuracy appears to have been rightfully in question all along. 

He definitely has accuracy issues that can be fixed over time. until then, he needs to feed off the running game and take as many short shots as he can get away with

8 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

He definitely has accuracy issues that can be fixed over time. until then, he needs to feed off the running game and take as many short shots as he can get away with

His main issues right now are throwing on the run, and pocket awareness.  But he also has like rookie issues that every rookie has.

The game needs to slow down, he needs to see more blitz packages and more schemes.  He needs to get on the same page as is OL (and not roll into sacks), and his WRs (timing seems to be an issue and i personally doubt the blame falls just on the QB).  Until that happens, we're going to see a ton of 8 man boxes and press man defenses with single high safeties. 

The best way to beat that is back shoulder throws on the boundary, and deep shots.  We've struggled with both so far, and until we get it right its going to be rough seas ahead for the forseeable future.  Having a mobile QB break contain also can help make some plays (thats where weve had some success).

Edited by dneveu