Priority: Develop Allen or Win Ugly?

Berky1010

There has been a lot of debate about whether we should try and win 8 games this year or prioritize the development of Josh Allen. Both are great but there are a number of people who are mad at yesterday's win given the poor showing at QB. So I would ask you - would you rather 1) See good progress from Allen but win 3-4 games? Or 2) Win 8 games ugly and enter next season without a confident grasp of who will be our long term QB?

i'm sure it's been mentioned, but i assumed part of this play yesterday was the staff trying to slow things down for allen and protect him.  they relied on the run to the point where it was painful, but he's certainly not to the point where i'd want the staff to put the game on allen's back.  we knew if it was going to work out for josh, it was going to take a while.  the slower they take it this year for him the better.  i suppose i don't see how it has to be one or the other.  

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The priority should be to develop Allen. Winning ugly will likely come with it. The problem is that how can you develop a QB when you give him very little to work with?

this was my point too.  wins will happen, but i'm sure more blow out stinkers are going to happen as well.  welcome to this year.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

But they have to give him this type of game plan. He doesn’t have a full command of the offense and cannot run the field properly. So they have to bring him along slowly and teach him things little by little. They tried to give him a heavier workload last week against the Packers and he couldn’t handle it. Someone can’t learn everything at once it needs to be taught step by step. That’s like giving a 2nd grader calculus before they even know how to multiply it would never work. He needs to learn piece by piece step by step and hopefully things open up and become clearly for him. It is unrealistic to think Allen they way he was coming out of college would come in and be able to grasp an entire NFL offense and immediately learn how to read the field and pick apart a defense. They have it give him more and more each week and hope he figures it out. They tried to overload him against the Packers it didn’t work out.

• Like (+1) 2

The Priority should be Development of Josh Allen. If that isnt your No1 priority then You really need to re-evaluate. 

McD and Company have captial breaking the drought. That capital needs to be used to make sure this entire season is about developing Allen. 

Then again that should have been it from Jump and well we see how that went with some bogus competition 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Berky1010 said:

There has been a lot of debate about whether we should try and win 8 games this year or prioritize the development of Josh Allen. Both are great but there are a number of people who are mad at yesterday's win given the poor showing at QB. So I would ask you - would you rather 1) See good progress from Allen but win 3-4 games? Or 2) Win 8 games ugly and enter next season without a confident grasp of who will be our long term QB?

If he's not trying to win, how's he really developing? As with last year, it's a rebuilding year where we still try to win. It looks likely we have a very strong defense, and one that plays better in the second half (in no game have they given up more than 7 in second half). It would be silly to not try to win.

10 minutes ago, Berky1010 said:

I don't think anyone's goal is to win 8 games ugly.  I believe all of this is part of the plan to develop Allen. They had to scale back the offense to get him comfortable, but hopefully things will start to slow down for him soon and they can expand the playbook as he develops.

1 minute ago, Rebel101 said:

But they have to give him this type of game plan. He doesn’t have a full command of the offense and cannot run the field properly. So they have to bring him along slowly and teach him things little by little. They tried to give him a heavier workload last week against the Packers and he couldn’t handle it. Someone can’t learn everything at once it needs to be taught step by step. That’s like giving a 2nd grader calculus before they even know how to multiply it would never work. He needs to learn piece by piece step by step and hopefully things open up and become clearly for him. It is unrealistic to think Allen they way he was coming out of college would come in and be able to grasp an entire NFL offense and immediately learn how to read the field and pick apart a defense. They have it give him more and more each week and hope he figures it out. They tried to overload him against the Packers it didn’t work out.

If ONLY there was this thing called OTAs and Training Camp to aid in that. Oooo wait nevermind that was used as some Farce to hand Peterman the start

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Both. 

We won ugly and he learned he doesn't need to look downfield every play.  

One doesn't mean the other isnt happening. 

I agree with this. Allen learned a lot yesterday. Winning is the best way to learn.

6 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm sure it's been mentioned, but i assumed part of this play yesterday was the staff trying to slow things down for allen and protect.  they relied on the run to the point where it was painful, but he's certainly not to the point where i'd want the staff to put the game on allens back.  we knew if it was going to work out for josh, it was going to take a while.  the slower they take it this year for him the better.  i suppose i don't see how it has to be one or the other.  

this was my point too.  wins will happen, but i'm sure more blow out stinkers are going to happen as well.  welcome to this year.

With a stout defense such as we are seeing as of late the two do not have to be mutually exclusive.  Do people think that fielding a poor defense will help?  Do people even think before they post?   

• Like (+1) 2

Josh Allen should’ve been 11/19 for 105 yds, 20 yds rushing, 1 TD and 0 Int’s yesterday if not for Andre Holmes shenanigans. 

If we can win games leaning on Shady/Ivory and the Defense, with Josh putting up stat lines like that, I’m fine with it.  

I dont see a downside to it either.  

Priority as a coach is to win. ALWAYS. The guys in that locker room who are giving it everything want that. Can't talk tank when the Bills are 2-3.

Allen's development is always most important. Win or lose. It will take time.

Now, in Beane's case in a private moment? Maybe he would prefer a higher pick and developing Allen. But in no way shape or form does that message get conveyed to McDermott and to the team.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

If ONLY there was this thing called OTAs and Training Camp to aid in that. Oooo wait nevermind that was used as some Farce to hand Peterman the start

Yeah but they can only give him so much I agree they should have gave him a lot more with the 1s. But just because he wasn’t running with the 1s doesn’t mean he wasn’t learning the same offense. Supposedly Daboll has an specific offense created for Allen so it didn’t really matter what group he ran with the offense was tailored for him which I believe is a big reason why they kept foster and McCloud as well because if it is true that Allen had his own offense those 2 ran it the most with him and he had more chemistry with them naturally because they played together the most. We don’t know how well Allen is handling his information and how fast or how well he is processing and able to translate that knowledge onto the field so they can only move along as fast as Allen will allow them too. And obviously they thought maybe he was ready for more leading up to the Packers game until he showed he wasn’t. But all in good time