Offense scheme changed to determine Allen’s grasp

Rebel101

I believe Daboll had a simple scheme drawn up for Allen and the offense for the Minnesota game. Quick reads, multiple dump routes, and just a simplified offense to get Allen comfortable in the game and allow him to run the offense. I believe because he commanded the offense well and performed well that McDermott and Daboll decided to give Allen a more complex offense to run against the Packers to see where he is at mentally since he struggled they dumbed it back down to him for the Titans game. They are trying to bring him along slowly but they also want to challenge him and see how he responds but I think we will see a lot more game plans like that of the Vikes Titans game from here on out but hopefully as the season goes on Allen will be able to handle and command a more complex offense little by little and hopefully with the help of Derek Anderson Allen does begin to grasp a more complex offense and is able to read the entire field and know how to attack the defense while still developing his foot work and his fundamentals 

Edited by Rebel101

7 hours ago, johnnychemo said:

This isn’t the worst plan I can think of. It also has the benefit of matching our receivers skills (or more appropriately, lack thereof) in creating separation downfield. 

well based on each weekly opponent they may not be able to pull off yesterday. they may have to go 4 wide out of the gun and put the game on him. if they were smart

( not sayin they're not ) but they would incorporate putting some weight on his shoulders when they can ie. 1st and 2nd downs when they can afford to.

he hasn't completed one "look at that arm long ball in 5 games".  they do need to nudge him. can't carry 40 times a game. jmo

9 hours ago, Jasovon said:

Not uncommon for a rookie QB. Start simple and build from there.

All the rookie QBs are struggling to some degree...Mayfield has looked the best of them all so far

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

well based on each weekly opponent they may not be able to pull off yesterday. they may have to go 4 wide out of the gun and put the game on him. if they were smart

( not sayin they're not ) but they would incorporate putting some weight on his shoulders when they can ie. 1st and 2nd downs when they can afford to.

he hasn't completed one "look at that arm long ball in 5 games".  they do need to nudge him. can't carry 40 times a game. jmo

They did that a lot in the Packers game and ended up in 2nd and 18 and 3rd and 22 a lot because of it. He hit Foster right in the hands on a 50 yard bomb in Minnesota and he dropped it. Not quite as bad as that Williams dude from Tennessee but pretty bad.

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

All the rookie QBs are struggling to some degree...Mayfield has looked the best of them all so far

They did that a lot in the Packers game and ended up in 2nd and 18 and 3rd and 22 a lot because of it. He hit Foster right in the hands on a 50 yard bomb in Minnesota and he dropped it.

yep but sooner or later those plays will have to be made. even if we go with 2 back sets or have dimarco lead block,  defenses are gonna put the redzone squeeze on us. if dabol wants to make his mark, he'll have to stick with his game planning for the opponent and pull out all the stops.

Edited by billsredneck1

Yeah the trick to me is how they start the game. 

When allen hits a couple easier passes and gets his confidence and rhythm going he seems to have much more success. 

When he’s getting hit and missing his throws it gets pretty ugly. 

I guess the same can be said for most quarterbacks but I believe it’s on Daboll to make sure he’s starting out hot