Is Josh Allen just a taller Tyrod Taylor

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It was, but he framed it in terms that were a lot more far-reaching than required. Allen is going to have games this year where the Bills run a lot. It's not going to define his career, just the particular circumstances of this season and the offensive issues that necessitate it. Trying to make one game (or a bunch of them this year) out to be some sort of referendum on Allen by alluding to the Taylor years is sensational, not realistic journalism.

That's a stretch when I read the entire article. Too much sensitivity surrounding Josh Allen on TSW. 

As one of the biggest Allen detractors in the world, I think the kid is doing a nice job. He's managing the game which is something he never did in college as far as I saw. I like to believe he's learning what the NFL is like right now and not trying to make too many mistakes and one or two years from now he'll hopefully start getting more aggressive.

His flaws are still very much a concern to me for his long term success, but he isn't giving games away like I thought he might.

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

all we heard this offseasin is sin is our passing game couldn’t get worse.  Well in a league where offense records are being set, we are barely over 100 yards passing!  

Wins are always nice but other Bills qb would be getting killed for this game.  This is Allen’s 3rd won in 2 years where he passed for under 100 yards.  Isn’t that why we got rid of Tyrod?  

Damn man, you once had what I thought were decent ideas w regard to the Bills.

What the hell happened?

A rookie making his fourth start is multi-year pro, multi-year starter Tyrod Tailor?

Shirley you can do better than this.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's a stretch when I read the entire article. Too much sensitivity surrounding Josh Allen on TSW. 

Well, it starts with these three PPs-

When the Buffalo Bills dealt Tyrod Taylor and later traded up to select Josh Allen with the No. 7 pick, their goal was to develop a passer who could raise the team to greater heights than Taylor was able to achieve with his arm.

Although the Bills (2-3) escaped with a much-needed, 13-12 win over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, their path to victory with Allen followed the same sort of conservative approach that once protected Taylor's weaknesses from being exposed.

Four games into Allen's career as the Bills' starter, that strategy should come with at least some level of concern. Instead of expanding the offense as Allen grows into his role, the Bills retreated into the protective shell of a ground-and-pound game plan. In the few instances when Allen poked out his head to take a chance, the results were lacking.

For me, that's a stretch. First to allude to Allen's first 4 games looking like Taylor's tenure, because the circumstances are much different as to make the comparison invalid on its face. Second to suggest that there should be concern about reverting to a passing strategy that the organization had just moved on from, because again the personnel and their respective experience don't warrant such concern at this point. I'm not trying to be sensitive, just pointing out what imo are inconsistencies with his train of thought.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, papazoid said:

so far Josh has more rushing TD's (3) than passing (2).

his poor accuracy, even on short throws is worrisome. most of his long passes are overthrown.

he's not even close to Tyrod...yet !!…….last year TT ranked around 15th in both passer rating and total QBR

Josh isn't even in the Top 32 for either.....not good !!

Man, you are just toxic.  I was thinking this would be a week where your type were mostly silent.  Thanks for peeing in the danged cornflakes. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Well, it starts with these three PPs-

When the Buffalo Bills dealt Tyrod Taylor and later traded up to select Josh Allen with the No. 7 pick, their goal was to develop a passer who could raise the team to greater heights than Taylor was able to achieve with his arm.

Although the Bills (2-3) escaped with a much-needed, 13-12 win over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, their path to victory with Allen followed the same sort of conservative approach that once protected Taylor's weaknesses from being exposed.

Four games into Allen's career as the Bills' starter, that strategy should come with at least some level of concern. Instead of expanding the offense as Allen grows into his role, the Bills retreated into the protective shell of a ground-and-pound game plan. In the few instances when Allen poked out his head to take a chance, the results were lacking.

For me, that's a stretch. First to allude to Allen's first 4 games looking like Taylor's tenure, because the circumstances are much different as to make the comparison invalid on its face. Second to suggest that there should be concern about reverting to a passing strategy that the organization had just moved on from, because again the personnel and their respective experience don't warrant such concern at this point. I'm not trying to be sensitive, just pointing out what imo are inconsistencies with his train of thought.

Too sensitive. Everyone knows what happened yesterday and why: "The Bills' method for making Allen better on Sunday was to keep the ball out of his hands, which is a fair strategy for dealing with a rookie quarterback. That was good enough for the victory over the Titans, as Buffalo, which entered the game allowing a staggering 21 sacks through four games, gave up only one on Sunday."

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Too sensitive. Everyone knows what happened yesterday and why: "The Bills' method for making Allen better on Sunday was to keep the ball out of his hands, which is a fair strategy for dealing with a rookie quarterback. That was good enough for the victory over the Titans, as Buffalo, which entered the game allowing a staggering 21 sacks through four games, gave up only one on Sunday."

Yeh, we do, which is why there's no concern about a few games this season looking statistically like Taylor's tenure. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yeh, we do, which is why there's no concern about a few games this season looking statistically like Taylor's tenure. 

There is some concern because of how much development he needs in many critical areas that define long term QB success at the NFL level which is why the game plan was remedial.  

There is some concern because of how much development he needs in many critical areas that define long term QB success at the NFL level which is why the game plan was remedial.  

No doubt, but not 'sure looked like a Tyrod Taylor offense out there!' type article concern, at least not yet for me...too many limiting factors on offense outside just Allen to make that comparison. 

I don't want to argue over a Rodak article ?...this is right in his wheelhouse wrt low hanging fruit as far as I'm concerned.

No doubt, but not 'sure looked like a Tyrod Taylor offense out there!' type article concern, at least not yet for me...too many limiting factors on offense outside just Allen to make that comparison. 

I don't want to argue over a Rodak article ?...this is right in his wheelhouse wrt low hanging fruit as far as I'm concerned.

Andy Benoit pointed out many of the same things in the piece he wrote today.  Let's be mad at him too. While we're at it get PO'ed at Wawrow who points at the Titans' game from 2015. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

No question that the game plan for Josh the rookie is going to be very simple. That shouldn't be surprising.  But even with a more experienced qb because of the caliber of the OL and especially the receiving corps the game plan is still going to be relatively simple because of their inadequacies. When your receivers on quick hitting pass plays are blanketed you know that your play book and passing game is going to be very abridged. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Andy Benoit pointed out many of the same things in the piece he wrote today.  Let's be mad at him too. While we're at it get PO'ed at Wawrow who points at the Titans' game from 2015. 

I'm not mad, I'm saying this is the easy take, guaranteed to generate interest and the occasional argument like the one you and I are currently having. So I guess it worked in that respect.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

For those people who think he should be sitting and watching a year, I think it is truly invaluable experience to be out on the field with four minutes to go and lead a game winning 4+ minute drive. Regardless of how many passes he threw (and he did throw for two first downs). You don't learn anything about that situation on the bench IMO.

I'm not mad, I'm saying this is the easy take, guaranteed to generate interest and the occasional argument like the one you and I are currently having. So I guess it worked in that respect.

There's nothing to argue. It's what happened for good reason as the BIlls are trying to win games as I stated earlier.  

Allen has been up and down to start his career as expected. He's looked as uneven as a guy as raw as he is coming into the league should look. So that's normal to me. I'm certainly not expecting his career to look like Taylor's and that is of zero concern to me. Also of zero concern is whether we have a few (or even many) games with offensive output resembling Taylor's this season, for the aforementioned reasons. So Rodak's article doesn't speak to me. That is what I'm trying to convey.

What I notice is that people who wanted to go out of their way to bash Tyrod are going out of their way to defend Allen.

Taylor was not good enough AND Josh Allen may not be the answer. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

For those people who think he should be sitting and watching a year, I think it is truly invaluable experience to be out on the field with four minutes to go and lead a game winning 4+ minute drive. Regardless of how many passes he threw (and he did throw for two first downs). You don't learn anything about that situation on the bench IMO.

Although his passing numbers are not sterling one area where there is a noticeable improvement is his pocket presence. The only way to get that feel for the pressure to to experience it. 

JA still has trouble with those short dump off passes and he can't consistently cleanly throw to the back or receiver in stride. But that is also another example where the only remedy is to play and gain experience. 

Because of his makeup where the stage isn't too big for him I'm excited about the future. I couldn't say that about the previous qbs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

What I notice is that people who wanted to go out of their way to bash Tyrod are going out of their way to defend Allen.

Taylor was not good enough AND Josh Allen may not be the answer. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Does the fact that Taylor had 4 years under his belt when he came to the Bills, as opposed to Allen's 4 games, mean anything to you when you compare them statistically? 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

There was little progression to the experienced qb's game who was in the league for more than a half dozen years. Although Allen is very raw I can see some progression to his game. With Taylor what you see is what you get. If you don't believe me just ask the Browns about him.