Is Josh Allen just a taller Tyrod Taylor

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

all we heard this offseasin is sin is our passing game couldn’t get worse.  Well in a league where offense records are being set, we are barely over 100 yards passing!  

Wins are always nice but other Bills qb would be getting killed for this game.  This is Allen’s 3rd won in 2 years where he passed for under 100 yards.  Isn’t that why we got rid of Tyrod?  

Tyrod isn’t that reckless with the ball?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Does the fact that Taylor had 4 years under his belt when he came to the Bills, as opposed to Allen's 4 games, mean anything to you when you compare them statistically? 

You clearly didn't read my post. 

I stated that Josh Allen MAY not be the answer. What is controversial about that? Right now, he looks terrible. We can talk about all the reasons why he looks terrible, but he looks terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

You clearly didn't read my post. 

I stated that Josh Allen MAY not be the answer. What is controversial about that? Right now, he looks terrible. We can talk about all the reasons why he looks terrible, but he looks terrible. 

I read it in its entirety. Your premise was a point about your perceived discrepancy between fans' tolerance of Allen's play vis a vis Taylor. The comparison you draw begets the question whether you understand the pointlessness in making such differentiations. 

As to 'terrible', again: contextualize. As compared to league averages, or among his rookie peers? By what metric? Establish a baseline. Otherwise it's just more hyperbole.

25 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Taylor was not good enough AND Josh Allen may not be the answer. The two are not mutually exclusive

Why are they not exclusive?  They are two different players.  Those two opinions are not conjoined in any way.

I've seen JA make passes in tight spaces this summer and fall which I don't think I ever saw from tyrod - and he's just out of the gate.  Not hating tyrod mind you. . .I never bashed him but did admit he would require a top 1 or 2 defense to ever win it all.

Edited by sleeby
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I read it in its entirety. Your premise was a point about your perceived discrepancy between fans' tolerance of Allen's play vis a vis Taylor. The comparison you draw begets the question whether you understand the pointlessness in making such differentiations. 

As to 'terrible', again: contextualize. As compared to league averages, or among his rookie peers? By what metric? Establish a baseline. Otherwise it's just more hyperbole.

I like the argument you made in the first paragraph. It was a quality retort.

As far as contextualizing Josh Allen's performance, he's been terrible by any metric. Rookie metrics, vet metrics, Pee Wee metrics, sabermetrics. The guy has been bad. I don't know how you establish a baseline.

I'm glad we have a Head Coach who knows how to win close games because we're not gonna be blowing anyone out anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

As far as contextualizing Josh Allen's performance, he's been terrible by any metric. Rookie metrics, vet metrics, Pee Wee metrics, sabermetrics. The guy has been bad. I don't know how you establish a baseline.

I'm glad we have a Head Coach who knows how to win close games because we're not gonna be blowing anyone out anytime soon.

Just why?  Why attack this kid?  Crab in a barrel. Who is our offense right now? 

Who are the studs?  The #1 and 2 RBs.  Who else?  What is this kid working with?  The only people who catch reliably are also the RBs.  If those many catchable balls had been caught then the stats would be very different.  So damned toxic.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I like the argument you made in the first paragraph. It was a quality retort.

Imo a good starting point would be to see how Allen stacks up against the other starting rookies. In terms of raw #s, it looks like this:

Allen- 53.3% completion, 6.1 YPA, 2TD/5INT (3 rush TDs)

Mayfield- 58.9% completion, 7.95 YPA, 3TD/3INT (0 rush TDs)

Rosen- 49.2% completion, 6.5 YPA, 2TD/1INT (0 rush TDs)

Darnold- 55.7% completion, 7.2 YPA, 7TD/6INT (0 rush TDs)

These are obviously open to interpretation as they don't take into account factors like SOS, offensive personnel, advanced metrics like ANY/A (or DYAR, DVOA etc), and the like. They also don't measure drops by receivers or other relevant team-related circumstances...given that I haven't watched every snap by the others but have seen enough to make what I'd call a relatively informed comparison, I think calling Allen 'terrible' thus far, when measured against his comparable peers, is too strong.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I feel like this point should be obvious, but Allen is not considered a finished product right now. He was seen as the most raw of the top 4 QBs. He wasn't drafted for what he can do now, he was drafted for his long term potential. This is why the comparisons to Josh Rosen don't work. Rosen was drafted as essentially a finished product. He might already be at his ceiling. Cardinals fans should be much more concerned about his game yesterday than we should be about any game Allen has this year. This whole season is Allen's orientation to the NFL - he'll take his lumps, make some bad passes, get accustomed to NFL game speed, and hopefully come out at the end of the season with a better understanding of being a pro QB. Tyrod got worse every year he started. If Allen is still making the same mistakes a year from now we will have good reason to be concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sleeby said:

Just why?  Why attack this kid?  Crab in a barrel. Who is our offense right now? 

Who are the studs?  The #1 and 2 RBs.  Who else?  What is this kid working with?  The only people who catch reliably are also the RBs.  If those many catchable balls had been caught then the stats would be very different.  So damned toxic.  

I'm frustrated bro.

We haven't had a quarterback in forever and I feel like we drafted a bust.

I'm not attacking Josh Allen personally because I dislike his mother or want him to get hit by a bus. Nothing I state on a message board is going to change the trajectory of the team. I've tried to bend the universal arc through sheer will with astonishingly poor results.

What really frustrates me is that I like McDermott and feel like if we had found our quarterback, this time WOULD be different.

I'd like to be wrong as much as you'd like to be right. 

17 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm frustrated bro.

Negativity and bringing everyone down at this early stage is surely not going to make good though.  I think it matters when a ton of vocal critics and local sports writers attack a young QB.  There are those who claim he should be impervious to it and somehow not human but that's crap - he's a young guy with half of new York state holding the past 20 years on his shoulder - and he has no talent around him other than RBs and maybe Dawkins.  Many great QBs had rough rookie NFL years and were not run out of town for it - so to speak.

Next year will likely see a very new and very young bills offense; complete with its own, new problems.  What will JA be in 2021?  Nobody can even intelligently guess at this point.  He is good though at the very least.

How about that defense?  ?

Edited by sleeby

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

all we heard this offseasin is sin is our passing game couldn’t get worse.  Well in a league where offense records are being set, we are barely over 100 yards passing!  

Wins are always nice but other Bills qb would be getting killed for this game.  This is Allen’s 3rd won in 2 years where he passed for under 100 yards.  Isn’t that why we got rid of Tyrod?  

No, not at all.

If he performs like this 7 years from now then this can be revisited. For now, no way.

2 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Negativity and bringing everyone down at this early stage is surely not going to make good though.  I think it matters when a ton of vocal critics and local sports writers attack a young QB.  There are those who claim he should be impervious to it and somehow not human but that's crap - he's a young guy with half of new York state holding the past 20 years on his shoulder - and he has no talent around him other than RBs and maybe Dawkins.  Many great QBs had rough rookie NFL years and were not run out of town for it - so to speak.

Next year will likely see a very new and very young bills offense; complete with its own, new problems.  What will JA be in 2021?  Nobody can even intelligently guess at this point.  He is good though at the very least.

How about that defense?  ?

I feel very comfortable with McDermott's defense.

The main thing I want to see from that side of the ball is pressure and takeaways. He seems to get that.

As far as Allen goes, lets say he doesn't improve and he's not the answer. How long is too long to stick with him and is there any chance McDermott gets another quarterback?

I fully expect Allen to bust, but I'd like to see McDermott remain as HC. That seems improbable. 

29 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm frustrated bro.

I'm not attacking Josh Allen personally because I dislike his mother or want him to get hit by a bus. Nothing I state on a message board is going to change the trajectory of the team. I've tried to bend the universal arc through sheer will with astonishingly poor results.

What really frustrates me is that I like McDermott and feel like if we had found our quarterback, this time WOULD be different.

I'd like to be wrong as much as you'd like to be right. 

We've all been along for the same frustrating ride. Take a breath, and realize that, first and foremost, we finally got the playoff monkey off our back, so we can take some time to reset. We can take a break from being the "hardcore" Bills fans that live and die by the team and give them and ourselves some breathing room this season, and let go of some frustrations. We were never going 11-5 (or even 9-7) this year, but we dont have the drought to worry about either. Which is a huge relief.

Also, for the first time in... well, franchise history, we have a FO that made drafting a top prospect QB their #1 priority. And not only did they make it a priority, they actually did it!

But rookies take time, and even more so, we got ourselves a project prospect. Projects take more than 3 games. Heck, a lot of "sure thing" blue chip prospects took longer than 3 games, or even 16 games.

Enjoy the ride this season for what it is: no-pressure football. Sit back and watch the kid develop, little by little, baby steps.

We can start putting the pressure back on the team, and ourselves, once he's had some time under his belt and we have him surrounded by real weapons and a real OL.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

This has to be an attempt at trolling.  No way this can be a real thread right now.  You are free to revisit this in 2 years after Allen has a couple seasons under his belt and at least a couple real NFL starters on offense at WR and OL.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/8/2018 at 10:12 AM, no name said:

also to the kids credit regardless of how little the offense did yesterday it was allen who scored the only touchdown and then went on to lead the team down the field to be in range for haus money to be able to kick the winning field goal.

his first 4th qtr comeback for the win!

a "shorter" TT would never have reached the GL on that dive! 

23 hours ago, Doc said:

It's called being a rookie and having lousy receivers,  RoadHack.

fixed it for you Doc

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Josh Allen is a rookie who is playing like a rookie.

Tyrod Taylor was in his 5th, 6th and 7th years in the NFL whilst in Buffalo .... and played like a rookie sandlot QB.

fixed it for you Gug

On 10/8/2018 at 4:24 PM, HappyDays said:

I feel like this point should be obvious, but Allen is not considered a finished product right now. He was seen as the most raw of the top 4 QBs. He wasn't drafted for what he can do now, he was drafted for his long term potential. This is why the comparisons to Josh Rosen don't work. Rosen was drafted as essentially a finished product. He might already be at his ceiling. Cardinals fans should be much more concerned about his game yesterday than we should be about any game Allen has this year. This whole season is Allen's orientation to the NFL - he'll take his lumps, make some bad passes, get accustomed to NFL game speed, and hopefully come out at the end of the season with a better understanding of being a pro QB. Tyrod got worse every year he started. If Allen is still making the same mistakes a year from now we will have good reason to be concerned.

How often do these "project quarterbacks" ever work out?