10-7: Bills Beat Podcast - The Bills Beat the Titans, But at What Cost?

The Buffalo Bills got back to the win column on Sunday, defeating the Tennessee Titans 13-12 at home. The defense certainly looked the part, but where does this offense go moving forward, and how should they approach the game plan for Josh Allen past this week? Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn discuss the entire game and dive into the deeper issues surrounding the Bills offense at the present moment.

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

What’s he mean, “at what cost?” Who got hurt?

In listening to the podcast, my take is that the "cost" they are referring to is limiting the development of Allen. Their argument is that, because of decisions made by the FO, they have put themselves in the position of having to start Allen on a very bad offensive team. However, the team's desire to stay competitive is now coming at he expense of Allen's development. They believed the offensive game plan, at least against the Titans, was as much about limiting the potential for mistakes from Allen as it was about running the football. Even given the lack of talent at the WR position and Allen's inexperience as a rookie, he needs to throw more than 9-10 times (mostly short passes with an emphasis on not turning the ball over) in a half in order to develop. IMO, they are saying If the offensive game plan going forward is the same as the Titans game, then it comes at the cost of limiting Allen's development and ending up with a less accurate version of Tyrod Taylor.

That is my take. I don't necessarily disagree. I like Allen and I think he has been placed in a very difficult position. His play has been what I expected, as a rookie and given the lack of offensive talent around him - and no worse than the play of Darnold and Rosen, to this point. I don't think the desire to stay competitive and the desire to develop a young QB are necessarily mutually exclusive, if you can find innovative ways to use him given his lack of experience and  lack of offensive talent. However, if their answer to how to stay competitive is to just limit his number and types of throws simply to avoid mistakes, then they are limiting his development.

What is "the cost" of limiting the game plan and decisions he needs to make until he has the experience and knowledge needs to go full throttle?

Not sure I can see that as a negative thing, it's done with just about all rookies, or first hire employees in any business. The expectation is, in time, they'll be the ones teaching the new hire. If the game plan looks the same two years for now, then we probably have a problem.

For now, the job of the coaches--the boss--is to put him in a position to be successful with what he has and to learn as he goes.

Job accomplished yesterday!

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm going to guess that it will hurt us in the draft.

This ridiculousness never ends. :(

I just can`t see how winning 8 to 10 games sets this team back.

They are young and when your young you need to win or you become Cleveland ;)

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

At no cost.

Bills are doing the best they can with the weapons they have.

Do they really expect Allen to throw all day??

To these recievers......did you see that great catch by Andre Holmes......Cornfed hits him in the hands and its an Int :(

These recievers are killing his development  :(

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Dumb take. 

It is.  This team is exactly what it looked like it would be.  The Bills had very limited off-season resources because of the dead cap issues.  What resources they had they spent on defense.  Then their two best O-Line players retire.  No money to replace them.

So the team has a good defense and an atrocious offense.  Allen is doing fairly well under bad circumstances.  But he is not getting pounded into the ground so far, so hopefully he avoids the Trent Edwards fiasco.  He has shown better mobility than I expected, has a great positive attitude, and is smart.  And his arm is one of the best I have ever seen. I like the idea of Anderson coming in to help coach him up.

The Bills never were going to win an SB this year.  Frankly 2-3 with this schedule is as good as I could hope for.  If they get to 3-4, that would be great.

So long as they can avoid Allen getting killed either mentally or physically, developing him in a nothing to lose thrown into the fire season will pay dividends long term, as this kid has the make up to survive this year.  And if he does, lots of resources for next season to fix the line, add a real #1 receiver, and a good CB to pair with White outside.

It's clear what the plan is.  Losing Wood and Incognito really through this year into turmoil, and the receivers were always a problem-- although I am liking Jones a whole lot more. Next year this team could be bona fide good.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

In listening to the podcast, my take is that the "cost" they are referring to is limiting the development of Allen. Their argument is that, because of decisions made by the FO, they have put themselves in the position of having to start Allen on a very bad offensive team. However, the team's desire to stay competitive is now coming at he expense of Allen's development. They believed the offensive game plan, at least against the Titans, was as much about limiting the potential for mistakes from Allen as it was about running the football. Even given the lack of talent at the WR position and Allen's inexperience as a rookie, he needs to throw more than 9-10 times (mostly short passes with an emphasis on not turning the ball over) in a half in order to develop. IMO, they are saying If the offensive game plan going forward is the same as the Titans game, then it comes at the cost of limiting Allen's development and ending up with a less accurate version of Tyrod Taylor.

That is my take. I don't necessarily disagree. I like Allen and I think he has been placed in a very difficult position. His play has been what I expected, as a rookie and given the lack of offensive talent around him - and no worse than the play of Darnold and Rosen, to this point. I don't think the desire to stay competitive and the desire to develop a young QB are necessarily mutually exclusive, if you can find innovative ways to use him given his lack of experience and  lack of offensive talent. However, if their answer to how to stay competitive is to just limit his number and types of throws simply to avoid mistakes, then they are limiting his development.

If this is what he said, I get it, because I was upset with the playcalling.

But my problem with the playcalling wasn't because of development. It was because I thought it was frighteningly predictable. My PTSD of Dennison's predictability kicked in. Luckily, Ivory is SooOOooo much better than Tolbert.

But that doesn't mean Daboll can't have Allen throwing, too.

What happened to the RPOs?

Where are the screens?

Where are the quick slants?

You can protect Allen while still developing him and allowing him to throw.

I just hope Anderson ends up being a good mentor to Allen. It's another Carolina connection, obviously, but I think he served Newton well as a backup.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

What’s he mean, “at what cost?” Who got hurt?

If you listen to the podcast, I think you’ll see that Joe and Matt make a very good point.  You might argue it’s a bit premature, which they admitted themselves, but their point or solid.  

The “cost” is the development of Allen.  The game plan this week clearly minimized Allen’s role as a passer in the offense.  Their argument is that the Bills need to let Allen lead the offense even if it means making mistakes and holding the team back.  Why trade a few wins in the short term, if it restricts the development of their future QB?

31 minutes ago, Casey D said:

It is.  This team is exactly what it looked like it would be.  The Bills had very limited off-season resources because of the dead cap issues.  What resources they had they spent on defense.  Then their two best O-Line players retire.  No money to replace them.

So the team has a good defense and an atrocious offense.  Allen is doing fairly well under bad circumstances.  But he is not getting pounded into the ground so far, so hopefully he avoids the Trent Edwards fiasco.  He has shown better mobility than I expected, has a great positive attitude, and is smart.  And his arm is one of the best I have ever seen. I like the idea of Anderson coming in to help coach him up.

The Bills never were going to win an SB this year.  Frankly 2-3 with this schedule is as good as I could hope for.  If they get to 3-4, that would be great.

So long as they can avoid Allen getting killed either mentally or physically, developing him in a nothing to lose thrown into the fire season will pay dividends long term, as this kid has the make up to survive this year.  And if he does, lots of resources for next season to fix the line, add a real #1 receiver, and a good CB to pair with White outside.

It's clear what the plan is.  Losing Wood and Incognito really through this year into turmoil, and the receivers were always a problem-- although I am liking Jones a whole lot more. Next year this team could be bona fide good.

I can tell you didn’t listen to the podcast because they argued that 2018 is all about Allen’s development.  By the Bills protecting Allen like they did yesterday, it’s not giving him a chance to develop which could be dangerous long term

Those are good points. I listened to it, and I agree.

The Bills should not be a team trying to win with smash-mouth football, limiting mistakes, and getting McCoy 20 carries a game. 

If it is, why did we draft Josh Allen and get rid of TT? 

Let Josh Allen be Josh Alen. Let him loose. 

When I hear Allen say at a press conference that the coaches told him we were going to put the game on the freakin' offensive line??  THIS offensive line? Really? How does that affect Allen's confidence - or, what he feels is his coaches' confidence in him? 

Let the wild horse run free. 

BVqMDAk.gif

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Those are good points. I listened to it, and I agree.

The Bills should not be a team trying to win with smash-mouth football, limiting mistakes, and getting McCoy 20 carries a game. 

If it is, why did we draft Josh Allen and get rid of TT? 

Let Josh Allen be Josh Alen. Let him loose. 

When I hear Allen say at a press conference that the coaches told him we were going to put the game on the freakin' offensive line??  THIS offensive line? Really? How does that affect Allen's confidence - or, what he feels is his coaches' confidence in him? 

Let the wild horse run free. 

BVqMDAk.gif

Who won the game yesterday?  Buffalo.  What QBs get confidence when their team wins?  Pretty much all of them.  Put it on the O line and have them respond?  A good thing unless you're a Bills fan.

Only in Bills country does a team win a football game and the response is "But at what cost?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Who won the game yesterday?  Buffalo.  What QBs get confidence when their team wins?  Pretty much all of them.  Put it on the O line and have them respond?  A good thing unless you're a Bills fan.

Only in Bills country does a team win a football game and the response is "But at what cost?"

Only in Bills country are fans this !@#$ing clueless about what's good for the team, the new QB, and the long run. Can't believe you'd want to trade wins this season for Josh Allen's development. 

If that Titan's receiver doesn't drop a gift TD, the Bills lose that game, and the pitchforks would be out over how pathetic the offense was. Especially poorly Josh Allen played. 

And you really think Josh Allen got a lot of confidence when his offensive coordinator tells him, "We're putting the game on the offensive line. Run the ball"??

Know what would give him confidence? "Go sling it. We live or die by what you do. And we'll take the result, either way."

This is how bad Josh Allen was: his QB rating was around a 42. Our punter, who thought he was doing a fake FG when no one else did, had a QB rating of around 39. 

This is not giving Allen confidence. 

Edited by Domdab99

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Only in Bills country are fans this !@#$ing clueless about what's good for the team, the new QB, and the long run. Can't believe you'd want to trade wins this season for Josh Allen's development. 

If that Titan's receiver doesn't drop a gift TD, the Bills lose that game, and the pitchforks would be out over how pathetic the offense was. Especially poorly Josh Allen played. 

And you really think Josh Allen got a lot of confidence when his offensive coordinator tells him, "We're putting the game on the offensive line. Run the ball"??

Know what would give him confidence? "Go sling it. We live or die by what you do. And we'll take the result, either way."

They are not mutually exclusive.  Get that through your skull.  Having him throw 50 times a game isn't developing him, it's more likely to get him killed.

Allen develops every game.  Yesterday he developed.  When he threw he was more decisive with his reads.  Knew where he was going with the ball more.  Threw it away more quickly when he knew there was nothing there.  Didn't get sacked because he either got the ball out or knew better when to take off.  didn't do those backward spin moves like he did against the Pack.  Made some very good throws.

Honest to God, some folks I swear have never watched football before.

• Thank you (+1) 2