10-7: Bills Beat Podcast - The Bills Beat the Titans, But at What Cost?

Lol you have no clue what you’re talking about if you think Allen did anything well yesterday. He was bad. Indecisive. Inaccurate. He had a nice run for a TD. Yay.

two straight games now where he has played quite poorly, and the game plan is not helping him.

but yeah, bringing in Derek Anderson, that’ll help him. ?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

They believed the offensive game plan, at least against the Titans, was as much about limiting the potential for mistakes from Allen as it was about running the football. Even given the lack of talent at the WR position and Allen's inexperience as a rookie, he needs to throw more than 9-10 times (mostly short passes with an emphasis on not turning the ball over) in a half in order to develop.

On the flip side, others suggest he could have benefited from sitting behind a seasoned vet for a year or two, like Mahomes learning by watching Smith, in which case he'd have zero throws in a game. Getting Josh on the field, albeit with a limited passing attack, gives him some experience without totally throwing him to the wolves. It's a happy medium.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

On the flip side, others suggest he could have benefited from sitting behind a seasoned vet for a year or two, like Mahomes learning by watching Smith, in which case he'd have zero throws in a game. Getting Josh on the field, albeit with a limited passing attack, gives him some experience without totally throwing him to the wolves. It's a happy medium.

I can see this. I’m just against the “we’re taking the ball out of your hands because we don’t trust you to win the game” mindset. That can not have felt good. I’m sure the win helped, tho.

16 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

its difficult to complete passes downfield when your wide receivers cant get separation; and compounding the WR’s deficiencies with a poor Oline and you have a recipe for disaster in the passing game. 

I feel bad for Allen. 

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I love Josh and think he has a chance to be the Guy for the Bills. 

But one thing we know about him, is that he’s resilient...all those bad Wyoming games and then he comes out and lights it up in the next one. 

I want to see that here. Give him the reigns.

but yes, he has no supporting cast, I agree. But put that in the receivers, then, if they can’t catch the ball :cough Andre Holmes cough:

I just dont want Dabol and McD to turn him into a game manager this season in the hopes of winning 7 or 8 games. Might as well have kept Tyrol then.

I want Josh to fling it. And learn from THAT.

If I am Daboll and McDermott I hope to call the offense like this every Sunday. It won't always be the case because we won't be leading the entire game like this one but I would try to make plays simple for Allen to read and rely on the ground game. Take your risks when you have the chance on the opponents side of the 50 on 4th down. Let your defense create turnovers which we know they are capable of doing whether it is Kirk Cousins, Aaron Rodgers or Marriota. 

Best call and play of the game for the offense was the first down completion to McCloud to ice the game.

41 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Lol you have no clue what you’re talking about if you think Allen did anything well yesterday. He was bad. Indecisive. Inaccurate. He had a nice run for a TD. Yay.

two straight games now where he has played quite poorly, and the game plan is not helping him.

but yeah, bringing in Derek Anderson, that’ll help him. ?

Open your eyes next week when you're watching the game.

Winning is better than losing

it was the kind of game where I thought a last quarter drive would beat them, but the guy dropped the ball

I think I’ve sat at 50 games where the home Bills/Lions/Browns lost on one late TD drive by the visiting team, after a muddle where nobody shone through 3 quarters

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Open your eyes next week when you're watching the game.

I bet you were one of the guys who said, “it worked, so it was the right decision” after McD punted in OT vs. the Colts, aren’t you?

25 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I bet you were one of the guys who said, “it worked, so it was the right decision” after McD punted in OT vs. the Colts, aren’t you?

Yes.  Because the Colts had done squat all game and they knew they'd get the ball back.

Did they win that game or lose it?  Remind me.

3 hours ago, GreatComeback said:

If you listen to the podcast, I think you’ll see that Joe and Matt make a very good point.  You might argue it’s a bit premature, which they admitted themselves, but their point or solid.  

The “cost” is the development of Allen.  The game plan this week clearly minimized Allen’s role as a passer in the offense.  Their argument is that the Bills need to let Allen lead the offense even if it means making mistakes and holding the team back.  Why trade a few wins in the short term, if it restricts the development of their future QB?

I can tell you didn’t listen to the podcast because they argued that 2018 is all about Allen’s development.  By the Bills protecting Allen like they did yesterday, it’s not giving him a chance to develop which could be dangerous long term

I understand, but I think that is just silly.  Having him throw 40 times every games and getting pounded into the ground often  is not the only way to develop him.  Baby steps.  Keep him upright.  Win some games.  He learns just by being out there.  Winning builds confidence.  Better than holding a clipboard, which would have been optimal but we have no other viable QB.   

Edited by Casey D
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Buffalo Bills got back to the win column on Sunday, defeating the Tennessee Titans 13-12 at home. The defense certainly looked the part, but where does this offense go moving forward, and how should they approach the game plan for Josh Allen past this week? Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn discuss the entire game and dive into the deeper issues surrounding the Bills offense at the present moment.

So Allen should throw a ton more even if it means sacrificing winning? That's what I got out of that. Winning helps everything, this nonsense that he has to throw it a zillion times , have 400 yard games is just dumb, how is that working for one of the best in Andrew Luck? He took the team down the field when he needed to and won the game for us, that does more for his progression than throwing for 330 yards 2 TD, 2 INT and a big fat loss.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Only in Bills country are fans this !@#$ing clueless about what's good for the team, the new QB, and the long run. Can't believe you'd want to trade wins this season for Josh Allen's development. 

If that Titan's receiver doesn't drop a gift TD, the Bills lose that game, and the pitchforks would be out over how pathetic the offense was. Especially poorly Josh Allen played. 

And you really think Josh Allen got a lot of confidence when his offensive coordinator tells him, "We're putting the game on the offensive line. Run the ball"??

Know what would give him confidence? "Go sling it. We live or die by what you do. And we'll take the result, either way."

This is how bad Josh Allen was: his QB rating was around a 42. Our punter, who thought he was doing a fake FG when no one else did, had a QB rating of around 39. 

This is not giving Allen confidence. 

I believe you are 100% wrong. I see a rookie QB who is willing do anything to win. On the last drive he was ready to win, was cool in the pocket and the team clearly believes in him.  Allen is full of confidence and he looks like he cannot wait until next Sunday. That has a lot to do with Allen's personality, but it's also because of very good coaching.  

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes.  Because the Colts had done squat all game and they knew they'd get the ball back.

Did they win that game or lose it?  Remind me.

You're what we call in poker parlance, a “first-level thinker.”

And you will never get it.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Winning is better than losing

it was the kind of game where I thought a last quarter drive would beat them, but the guy dropped the ball

I think I’ve sat at 50 games where the home Bills/Lions/Browns lost on one late TD drive by the visiting team, after a muddle where nobody shone through 3 quarters

These are exactly the kind of games we lost in the Jauron/Gailey/Marrone/Rex years.  Figure out new ways to lose.

I'm really glad to see the guys learn to not blow these games like past Bills teams did.  Last year it was the Tampa Bay and Snow Bowl they won instead of figuring out a way to lose.    It build confidence in the players that they can win as opposed to looking for the other shoe to drop.

Go Bills !!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I believe you are 100% wrong. I see a rookie QB who is willing do anything to win. On the last drive he was ready to win, was cool in the pocket and the team clearly believes in him.  Allen is full of confidence and he looks like he cannot wait until next Sunday. That has a lot to do with Allen's personality, but it's also because of very good coaching.  

I actually agree with you on this some....Allen is amazingly confident, and maybe he's just happy to win. But I'm sure it also bothered him a little bit that the game wasn't put on his shoulders - like you would expect every QB in the league to do. 

But yes, he's incredibly poised and I love that about him.

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

You're what we call in poker parlance, a “first-level thinker.”

And you will never get it.

I'm a bottom line guy.  And I win a lot at poker.  You would rather your team lose so you can watch the young QB get killed.  That makes sense.