This wont go over well...but Sean Mcd is a good coach

Hebert19

6 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

The question with McD is does he have the right philosophy to build a winner in today's NFL?

He seems to be the type of coach who wants to win ugly low scoring games with defense.

Can that work in today's NFL that is more designed for dynamic and innovative offense's? 

Yeah I hear that! Right now with this offense and a young QB that’s probably how we will win most games that we do. Mcd knows how to motivate and read his team. He also knows that a team needs to win at the LOS. Some coaches think it’s all skill positions. Actually it’s both!

What it boils down to I think is that Mcd will need a talented , innovative OC to have a good offense and a GM to bring in talent. IMO Beane has done a good job so far of breaking down this team, managing the cap and bringing in young talent in the draft. Free agents has been a mixed bag, but no GM has a great record of that except maybe Belichick. Because of Tom Brady!

Mcd is a good coach and seems to be improving! Things will look different in another year or so, but it’s hard to be patient after all the futility this fan base has been thru!!

McDermott has implied this year is going to be difficult. Fans are aware of how he and Beane gutted this team and created an unheard of dead cap space.  

They feel they deserve time to show what they can do and are going to get it. Next year should not look like this year or last year with so many blowout losses. 

If so, and they're kept on for a fourth year, the fans will vote with their wallets/credit cards. There'll still be a sea of blue at New Era , a big blue sea of empty seats.

Edited by I am the egg man

10 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Seriously.  This roster is ****.  We are in full rebuild mode.  Last year too essentially.  Yet this team wins games.  Buffao Rebuilding Bills 

Give this guy some actual talent and we will be a very good team.  He had a say in the talent void 

Yes.  He has some issues.  And yes he shouldn't have anything to do with talent selection but he can coach.  But he does have say in talent selection

He adjusts.  Doesn't yet mid game very well.  But game to game he fixes stuff.  Just as he did last year.  On defense. The offense gets worse as game goes on just like last year. 

This team should rival the 0 and 16 browns last year yet here we are 2-3 with a green rookie QB a ****ty oline and no wrs.  He deserves some credit. Again he had a say in the talent void on offense 

Comments in Bold 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have always thought he is a good coach. The personnel element... well he and Beane still have it to prove. As Kirby always says... anyone can look good executing the tear down. It is the build up that is the hard part. 

This is a good assessment. https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/08/buffalo-bills-tennessee-titans-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Nick Williams piss poor hands are the reason for this post.  

And if you're going to play that game, if Bojorquez (a Rookie Punter mind you) hadn't believed it was a fake field goal, then the entire game could have turned out differently in terms of Offense for the Bills. Who knows....but honestly, it happens in the NFL, as Edelman dropped an soft touch pass from Brady on a 3rd down that resulted in a forced punt. Didn't change the outcome...or when Stevie Johnson let the pass slip right through his arms in the endzone in OT against the Steelers....should we go on? Nah, ok...btw, your bias is showing.

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He's a good leader, but his game-day coaching is suspect.

It's certainly uneven.  Two weeks ago at the Vikes, the D came roaring out and attacked.  Yesterday, likewise.

In two other games, SD and Packers, they allowed themselves to be backed down the field on every possession and the opponents to put us in a sizeable hole (without major numbers of miscues on O or ST) then were issued their backbones and stiffened up in the 2nd half.  And that's issuing him a pass for the Ravens.

I also feel he was slow to mix in on offense which I'm pretty sure he did yesterday.

We'll see.

Thought he was a good coach last year, and still do.  It is amazing,  watching yesterday and there was a stretch of plays where Milano had a huge play, Edmunds had a forced fumble, Phillips had a moment, and then Taron Johnson gets the pick.  It just gets me stoked for what we could be in another year or two when we have drafted more of these quality players.  I do admit that we need this level of quality on the offensive side of the ball, but still believe that McBeane were waiting to invest draft capital heavily in offensive players until OC was really nailed down.

I have read three articles by national media guys in the last week saying how good McD is as a coach.  Not that I place a whole lot of emphasis on media takes good or bad, but just mention this as a retort to so many Bills fans who have nothing but antipathy for the guy.

He is also, I believe, the coach who got the to the playoffs last year.  Although I will have to check on that, of course.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

I don't like the guy, and am glad he's gone, but Marrone is proving to be a good coach and shoots a large hole in your "best in 2 decades".

He did say "best in 2 decades AROUND HERE". So, there's that. Maybe that hole is a little smaller, if not a hole at all. Based on your Marrone mention. Did Marrone take US to the playoffs? 

AROUND HERE.

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I don't like the guy, and am glad he's gone, but Marrone is proving to be a good coach and shoots a large hole in your "best in 2 decades".

You have to give him props for what he's done in Jax, and Hackett who many ran out of Buffalo with pitchforks and torches, but what should be equally shouted about their success is Tom Coughlin. He Drafted Fournette and focused on building their strengths - running game and Defense with a "good enough" QB until they can amass the WRs and TEs to open up the passing game. They've started to do that with their guys, but really it's Coughlin who deserves just as much credit as anyone else. I may not like Marrone and I think he was a tool for quitting the way he did, but there is synergy between Coughlin and Marrone given how they coach and what they want in a team. 

9 hours ago, Pasaluki said:

One of McDs biggest strengths is his ability to motivate players. So long as he keeps that ability the team will win in time.

The unfortunate thing is he has to constantly be in motivation mode with these players and coaches.  If he's on the players and coaches, they come to play Sunday.  If he lets off the gas just a little, the concentration and desire lapses.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's certainly uneven.  Two weeks ago at the Vikes, the D came roaring out and attacked.  Yesterday, likewise.

In two other games, SD and Packers, they allowed themselves to be backed down the field on every possession and the opponents to put us in a sizeable hole (without major numbers of miscues on O or ST) then were issued their backbones and stiffened up in the 2nd half.  And that's issuing him a pass for the Ravens.

I also feel he was slow to mix in on offense which I'm pretty sure he did yesterday.

We'll see.

I think he's a good defensive coach and schemer for sure. With regard to that offensive plan yesterday, though, it ONLY works against a team with a QB as shaky as Mariota. TN's offense isn't good. Both the offensive gameplan and the overall scheme were high-school level in their sophistication, which ironically was just what the doctor ordered given the opponent. But they showed no signs yesterday of being able to run a complex offense -- the sort you need when facing the good teams who are bound to put up 20+ points. Baby steps, I know, but I'd like to see a bit more sophistication going forward because Jeff Fisher is no model to follow in today's NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Review Dick Jauron’s record and you will be amazed he got 7 wins too.  SM has a ton of power and bares a huge part of the crappy roster, especially on offense.

You understand this roster is like this on purpose this year, right? They escalated all the dead cap into this year, I know you know this. They should be praised, this will make the team light years better in the coming years.

The eagles, bears and rams all went through this same thing in the last few years.

15 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Seriously.  This roster is ****.  We are in full rebuild mode.  Last year too essentially.  Yet this team wins games. 

Give this guy some actual talent and we will be a very good team.  

Yes.  He has some issues.  And yes he shouldn't have anything to do with talent selection but he can coach. 

He adjusts.  Doesn't yet mid game very well.  But game to game he fixes stuff.  Just as he did last year.  

This team should rival the 0 and 16 browns last year yet here we are 2-3 with a green rookie QB a ****ty oline and no wrs.  He deserves some credit. 

....and he's a 2nd year HC......

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

He did say "best in 2 decades AROUND HERE". So, there's that. Maybe that hole is a little smaller, if not a hole at all. Based on your Marrone mention. Did Marrone take US to the playoffs? 

AROUND HERE.

-9-7 wasn't good enough Marrone's year like it was for McD to luck into the playoffs.  Big deal. 

-Marrone inherited EJ Manual situation after Fitzpatrick was flushed and at least he was smart enough to force Whaley to get Orton year 2. 

-McD inherited a stable, mediocre situation with TT.  And he still managed to screw it up as TT should still be here to mentor JA.

-Marrone stuck working with Whaley and Russ Brandon.  McD gets Beane, at least both are on same page. 

-McD and his Nate Peterman love.  An NFL coach should know better.  Marrone wouldn't have made that mistake twice, if even once.

No, all things considered, Marrone was one of the best in 2 decades AROUND HERE, certainly there's no significant difference between him and McD yet.  I am far happier to have McD than sour-puss Saint Marrone but let's be real here, Marrone was put in a far more difficult coaching situation WRT QB and FO.

Edited by GaryPinC