This wont go over well...but Sean Mcd is a good coach

Hebert19

16 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not to argue your overall point but the talent on this team is better than many give it credit for- we are below nfl average talent overall but not 2008 lion bad.

The defense is solid. The offense, from top to bottom, is one of the least talented I ever remember watching. If not for McCoy, who doesn't seem to be quite up to his dominant level, I would say it is absolute bottom of the barrel.

1 minute ago, Acantha said:

The defense is solid. The offense, from top to bottom, is one of the least talented I ever remember watching. If not for McCoy, who doesn't seem to be quite up to his dominant level, I would say it is absolute bottom of the barrel.

I thought McCoy looked as good as ever yesterday. His ypc would have looked a lot better yesterday if he hadn't been tackled twice in the backfield at the moment of handoff for a cumulative negative 10 yards. He was great on the pass plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

McD has broken the playoff drought in his first season and while we have a losing record so far in his 2nd season both teams we beat have also beaten the defending Super Bowl champs this year.  But he claps his hands when he coaches so he stinks.

Edited by Talley56

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought McCoy looked as good as ever yesterday. His ypc would have looked a lot better yesterday if he hadn't been tackled twice in the backfield at the moment of handoff for a cumulative negative 10 yards. He was great on the pass plays. 

He definitely has a better day. But I was more referring to the season as a whole so far. Just like everyone else, he has to deal with a weak offense as a whole which makes running harder, but I don't think he gets away from all blame. Whether it's age or all the drama in his life, he hasn't been himself. 

But like you said, yesterday was a good step. He had two runs yesterday where the way he moved finally looked like him. It was great to see. And again, I was using him as the only real bright spot to the talent level of the offense right now.

4 minutes ago, Acantha said:

He definitely has a better day. But I was more referring to the season as a whole so far. Just like everyone else, he has to deal with a weak offense as a whole which makes running harder, but I don't think he gets away from all blame. Whether it's age or all the drama in his life, he hasn't been himself. 

But like you said, yesterday was a good step. He had two runs yesterday where the way he moved finally looked like him. It was great to see. And again, I was using him as the only real bright spot to the talent level of the offense right now.

I just think he needs carries to get rolling. He has *always* been a guy who gets a lot no-gains but when he carries it a lot, he balances it out with the occasional 20-40 yarder. If he's running it 5-10 times a game, that's not gonna happen.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I just think he needs carries to get rolling. He has *always* been a guy who gets a lot no-gains but when he carries it a lot, he balances it out with the occasional 20-40 yarder. If he's running it 5-10 times a game, that's not gonna happen.

Who knew you were supposed to give your best player the ball a bunch?

1 hour ago, Acantha said:

Agreed on both- but near the bottom offensively is not same as being the bottom and our D is quite good- basically we are a 4-12 talent that will get to 7-9 due to good coaching. 

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is basically running the team.  Again, Look at the Jauron rosters.  

What part of he didn’t like the roster he inheirited and it takes time to turn that over did you miss?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Who knew you were supposed to give your best player the ball a bunch?

To be fair to the staff, it's hard to give a RB carries when you find yourself down 21-0 early in the second quarter.

Incidentally, passer rating differential has historically been the best predictive stat of how a team fares. The Bills are 2-3 right now despite being negative 43.2 in passer rating differential. Yikes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2018.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

The ops opinion wouldn't be unpopular with me. I was a believer in McDermott after one season. I applauded the benching of Tyrod. I never will miss Dareus.

So the team is low budget and coach can sure make it look like a polished turd.

I agree, McDermott is a good motivator and I think he's a good defensive coach.  His players work their tails off for him.

My main criticism of him is that he's a "system" guy that will get rid of perfectly good talent just because they do not fit his scheme.  He'd rather have inferior talent that fits his playbook as opposed to modifying "the process" to put players of superior talent in a position to succeed.

I also wonder about his ability to oversee the offensive side of the ball... Dennison was a terrible hire and Daboll hasn't exactly been inspiring so far.

I wasn't a big Chan Gailey fan but the one thing he did a great job of was identifying the strengths of his players and getting them to exceed expectations.  Fitz was a great example of this.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

To be fair to the staff, it's hard to give a RB carries when you find yourself down 21-0 early in the second quarter.

Incidentally, passer rating differential has historically been the best predictive stat of how a team fares. The Bills are 2-3 right now despite being negative 43.2 in passer rating differential. Yikes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2018.htm

They weren't giving him the ball when it was 0-0, 7-0, and 14-0 either. :D

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Honestly I thought he looked shifty as ever but that he's lost some of his upfield burst.  Love the guy so I hope I'm wrong, but he looks half a step slower this year.