McDermott and Beane ought to feel utter terror about Allen

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

On the pre-game show, Sal Capaccio was saying that Anderson might be an option if Allen stumbles.  So it would be EJ all over again, a scared coach pulling the rookie.  It would only remain to be seen if Anderson was the 2nd coming of 3rd and kitty.

A lot of posters are connecting Anderson to Allen. I connect Anderson to Peterman. I'm thrilled they may finally be moving on from the infatuation with Peterman. 

Just now, peterpan said:

Lots of sarcastic replies but I think the OP is right and I think that at least the coaching staff knows it.  This actually reminds me a lot of last season with Tyrod and when we signed Kyle Orton last minute.  Marrone knew EJ blew but Whaley wouldn't accept it.  The staff wanted to move on from Tyrod last year but Peterman was worse. 

I turned the game on half way through the 2nd quarter and it wasn't until later in the 4th quarter that I saw Allen make a good play actually throwing the ball.  He threw two good ones in a row, the second was a pick bc generic deadbeat receiver let it go through his hands, off his helmet, and was picked. Everything else was pretty awful.

Down by 2 with 4 minutes left and we ran the ball the whole way down the field.  I think Allen threw two passes, a swing pass to McCoy and what was basically a bubble screen- basically long handoffs.  The playcalls are hiding Allen and it's deserved.

Allen really has a long, LONG way to go.  Derek Anderson  can't hurt anything and I won't be suprised if he gets some playing tome and some point. 

Fun fact: EJ had a much better first 4 games than Allen. 

I hated the picK and think they blew it for stupid reasons (it snows every day in Buffalo so you need a big arm!).  Still want to give him 2 years but man, he is exactly what I thought he would be and it’s terrifying. 

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

A lot of posters are connecting Anderson to Allen. I connect Anderson to Peterman. I'm thrilled they may finally be moving on from the infatuation with Peterman. 

Agreed that Anderson is better for Allen than NP.  But if you're bringing him in to be the starter?  I want no part of that.  Allen is #1 going forward, unless injured.

47 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

With Allen looking as bad as he does, even though these two did absolutely nothing offensively to help his cause, McD and Beane must be in panic mode (Derek Anderson, really?). 

Not only do you have to rebuild an entire offense but your prized QB is beyond terrible. Maybe if they would have listened to the overwhelming majority of pundits they wouldn't have traded all their draft capital for a guy with suspect accuracy and pocket awareness. Couple this with underachieving at Wyoming and I'm not really sure why he was ever a consideration in the first round to begin with. 

If its me..and trust me I know this will not happen.. I am very seriously considering a QB with my top 10 pick next year if there isn't any progression. I know everyone wants to give it time but how often is a QB utterly awful only to turn it around and become great these days (Goff seems to be the exception to the rule - not ready to anoint Trubisky). 

So I'd be kicking my self in the rear if I were these guys. I gave up (2) crucial 2nd round picks that could have been used to bolster my roster even further and probably could have done so and skill gotten Josh Rosen had I stayed put. 

So go ahead and tell me it's too early. Some of us know when things are going to end poorly (EJ Manuel). My advice to Beane and McD is think long and hard this offseason and don't be blinded by reality...you're jobs may depend on it. 

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hated the picK and think they blew it for stupid reasons (it snows every day in Buffalo so you need a big arm!).  Still want to give him 2 years but man, he is exactly what I thought he would be and it’s terrifying. 

You are not allowed to post facts that make people feel uncomfortable.

Kind of reminds me of a certain political party...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

Lots of sarcastic replies but I think the OP is right and I think that at least the coaching staff knows it.  This actually reminds me a lot of last season with Tyrod and when we signed Kyle Orton last minute.  Marrone knew EJ blew but Whaley wouldn't accept it.  The staff wanted to move on from Tyrod last year but Peterman was worse. 

I turned the game on half way through the 2nd quarter and it wasn't until later in the 4th quarter that I saw Allen make a good play actually throwing the ball.  He threw two good ones in a row, the second was a pick bc generic deadbeat receiver let it go through his hands, off his helmet, and was picked. Everything else was pretty awful.

Down by 2 with 4 minutes left and we ran the ball the whole way down the field.  I think Allen threw two passes, a swing pass to McCoy and what was basically a bubble screen- basically long handoffs.  The playcalls are hiding Allen and it's deserved.

Allen really has a long, LONG way to go.  Derek Anderson  can't hurt anything and I won't be suprised if he gets some playing tome and some point. 

There were a few good passes by Allen earlier in the game that you missed. They seemed scripted, and designed to get the ball out quickly. They were mostly accurate (the bootlegs were low but caught). But it was a glimpse of what we should and need to see more of. Until Allen get more experience, keep the long developing pass concepts to a minimum. There's too much hesitation overall in his game right now; he's not fully trusting what he's seeing on many plays. That's not knocking him, that's what is expected of a rookie at times. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah I had the same thought.  Ej was bad but he was better than this.  I personally would have no problem taking a QB in the first round if there was a good one.  I'd trade mCcoy for foles and see if he can give me anything.  Gotta find a guy.  And we need.more poles in the water than just allens

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Jpsredemption said:

You are not allowed to post facts that make people feel uncomfortable.

I mean it’s cult like.  I love the Bills.  Wins are Better than losses.  I have serious doubts about Allen even before the Bills picked him.  

But that was some awful football.  Take a look at the league.  This is not normal.  He’s young and the offense is terrible.  But man, the scouting report seems dead on.

3 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Glad your not the GM

Your probably a closet Patriots fan.

I doubt he could have gotten a worse receiving core. 

3 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

There were a few good passes by Allen earlier in the game that you missed. They seemed scripted, and designed to get the ball out quickly. They were mostly accurate (the bootlegs were low but caught). But it was a glimpse of what we should and need to see more of. Until Allen get more experience, keep the long developing pass concepts to a minimum. There's too much hesitation overall in his game right now; he's not fully trusting what he's seeing on many plays. That's not knocking him, that's what is expected of a rookie at times. 

With the defense playing well, why make things more complicated on offense than they need to be?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Agreed that Anderson is better for Allen than NP.  But if you're bringing him in to be the starter?  I want no part of that.  Allen is #1 going forward, unless injured.

Anderson backed up Newton for seven years.  I didn't see anyone worried about him taking the starting job from Newton.

This is purely for mentoring.  If Allen gets hurt, sure, Anderson might get playing time.  But this isn't a situation where if Allen has one bad game he is going to get pulled.  They only thing I would agree with was the Bills should have done this the minute they traded McCarron.  I'm sure this isn't something that just popped on their radar today.  This has been in the works for weeks.  They should have just moved faster on it.  

But the point of the OP is how horrible Allen has played and how us moving up in the draft to pick him was a huge mistake, and talking about taking a QB next year.  That's just idiocy at this point in his career.

And for those who compare Allen to EJ....there is no comparison.  Orton was brought in after an entire year with Jeff Tuel as EJ's back up.  We are talking 5 games here.  Again, should it have happened sooner?  I would say yes.  But keep in mind we have been having issues at CB depth and we've needed every roster spot ensuring we are covered in that area.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MichFan said:

You shouldn’t throw endless crap at a wall, regardless of how ignorant it is, hoping something sticks.

What I've said was highly corroborated during the previous draft process.

• Haha (+1) 1