The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Number Three in DVOA

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I agree, which is why you shouldn't have posted it. I'm trying to help you out here.

:lol: You are hilarious.  You posted that not me.  "Again, and I hate to sound like a broken record here, but the Cardinals are averaging fewer yards per game than the Bills currently (220-234)."  Your words. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: You are hilarious.  You posted that not me.  "Again, and I hate to sound like a broken record here, but the Cardinals are averaging fewer yards per game than the Bills currently (220-234)."  Your words. 

Of course those are my words. They're true. The Cardinals are averaging fewer yards per game (your stat, not mine, when you posted the ESPN article referencing FBO) than the Bills this season. 

Trust me, just go with yards per play. It's a much stronger argument.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Of course those are my words. They're true. The Cardinals are averaging fewer yards per game (your stat, not mine, when you posted the ESPN article referencing FBO) than the Bills this season. 

Trust me, just go with yards per play. It's a much stronger argument.

Your stat with your words. I never brought up YPG, you did and I called you on it. Either way whether YPP or DVOA the Bills come up as the worst. 

Your stat with your words. I never brought up YPG, you did and I called you on it. Either way whether YPP or DVOA the Bills come up as the worst. 

Wait, do you not remember posting this from ESPN? This was the genesis of the YPG argument. Worst part is it's not even correct! I'm just helping you proofread.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No kidding?!?

Back to the original point of the BIlls' offense being off to the worst start through seven games in modern history.  From the ESPN+ article by FBO:

Football Outsiders' DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) ratings break down every play individually, looking for success based on down and distance, and adjusting based on situation and opponent. We've broken down play-by-play going back to the 1986 season, giving us 33 years of NFL history to analyze. After their 37-5 loss to Indianapolis, the Bills now come out as 53.2 percent less efficient than the average team this year. That's the worst offense we've ever tracked through seven games.

One of the important aspects of DVOA is that every year is normalized so the average team is zero. That helps put Buffalo's offensive impotence into the context of all the rule changes and strategic advances that have given 2018 the most offense-friendly environment in NFL history. Right now, the entire league is averaging 363 yards per game, which would easily surpass the previous record of 350. Buffalo is averaging just 234 yards per game, over one-third less than the league average. No team has had an average that low since the 2005 San Francisco 49ers ... but in a season in which the league average was just 316 yards per game.

Wait, do you not remember posting this from ESPN? This was the genesis of the YPG argument. Worst part is it's not even correct! I'm just helping you proofread.

DVOA rankings aren't based on raw YPG so I don't know why you even pointed out what was in the article. 

DVOA rankings aren't based on raw YPG so I don't know why you even pointed out what was in the article. 

Because it was incorrect. I like to be accurate. Besides, you were using it (the article) to justify the Bills being the worst offense in history, and the entire second paragraph used the Bills' YPG ranking (again, incorrectly) to make their case. That's how we got talking about yards per game.

Because it was incorrect. I like to be accurate. Besides, you were using it (the article) to justify the Bills being the worst offense in history, and the entire second paragraph used the Bills' YPG ranking (again, incorrectly) to make their case. That's how we got talking about yards per game.

That's how you got talking about it after you looked up the Cards YPG to try and prove they are the worst.  

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's how you got talking about it after you looked up the Cards YPG to try and prove they are the worst.  

Ha! Nope, I already knew about the Cards YPG. I also know about the Bills YPP, which is what that article should have been talking about because that's the real issue with the offense. I like to point to the Cardinals because they are statistically similar to the Bills, offensively, and we don't hear much about how they're the worst offense of all time even though I think they should get just as much stick as us.

Ha! Nope, I already knew about the Cards YPG. I also know about the Bills YPP, which is what that article should have been talking about because that's the real issue with the offense. I like to point to the Cardinals because they are statistically similar to the Bills, offensively, and we don't hear much about how they're the worst offense of all time even though I think they should get just as much stick as us.

You should write FBO and tell them their formulas are screwed up even though you admit to not understanding them. ;)

You should write FBO and tell them their formulas are screwed up even though you admit to not understanding them. ;)

That's my point! NOBODY understands them because they won't release the formula! They claim it's proprietary but unless I can see how DVOA is calculated how am I supposed to put any faith in it? Same w/ QBR. 

I've read their explanation before. I want to see the actual formula. I can quibble about passer rating not being the greatest statistic but at least you can see for yourself how they come to their numbers. 

You know that's not going to happen. 

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It would help fans understand how they're calculating their rankings, for one. 

Not going to happen. More on why the Bills are the worst. 

Do you prefer to look at scoring offense? NFL teams are averaging 24.1 points per game. The Bills have less than half that, 11.6 points per game. The Bills are averaging 3.92 yards per play compared with a league average of 5.67. They lead the league with 12 interceptions. They are tied for 29th with 26 sacks, but they lead the league in sack rate. They rank 31st in third-down conversion rate at 27 percent. Rushing the ball? The Bills are a little better there than they are passing, but they still rank 28th with 3.85 yards per carry, and that could easily get worse if LeSean McCoy has to miss time with a head injury suffered in Sunday's loss to the Colts.

Is there any advice we could give the Bills to fix things? It's hard to go past just "stop being so terrible," but one fix would be to get more efficient on first downs. Right now, the Bills average just 3.56 yards per play on first down, over a yard less than any other offense. That, in turn, makes the other downs harder. The Bills rank second in the NFL in average needed yards on second down (9.1) and second in average needed yards on third down (8.7).

The Bills are struggling so much on offense that they could improve a little bit over the second half of the season and still finish as the worst offense we've ever measured. Here's a look at the other teams they are competing with to stand as legends of futility: the 10 worst offenses ever tracked by DVOA.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not going to happen. More on why the Bills are the worst. 

Do you prefer to look at scoring offense? NFL teams are averaging 24.1 points per game. The Bills have less than half that, 11.6 points per game. The Bills are averaging 3.92 yards per play compared with a league average of 5.67. They lead the league with 12 interceptions. They are tied for 29th with 26 sacks, but they lead the league in sack rate. They rank 31st in third-down conversion rate at 27 percent. Rushing the ball? The Bills are a little better there than they are passing, but they still rank 28th with 3.85 yards per carry, and that could easily get worse if LeSean McCoy has to miss time with a head injury suffered in Sunday's loss to the Colts.

Is there any advice we could give the Bills to fix things? It's hard to go past just "stop being so terrible," but one fix would be to get more efficient on first downs. Right now, the Bills average just 3.56 yards per play on first down, over a yard less than any other offense. That, in turn, makes the other downs harder. The Bills rank second in the NFL in average needed yards on second down (9.1) and second in average needed yards on third down (8.7).

The Bills are struggling so much on offense that they could improve a little bit over the second half of the season and still finish as the worst offense we've ever measured. Here's a look at the other teams they are competing with to stand as legends of futility: the 10 worst offenses ever tracked by DVOA.

How do the Bills rank last in yards per play on first down but second in yards needed on 2nd down?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1