The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Number Three in DVOA

On 10/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I wouldn't ...

But as he is one of a few vets on this team with any trade value it has been proposed here many times and will again before too long... (probably after the next loss..)

They need to get a legit pass rusher for the other side and keep adding to the talent.....instead of trading him for draft picks

I was never really worried about the defense. 

In McDermott’s first year in Carolina, the defense wasn’t all that good. Then they started out slow the following season. Then about half way through the season things started to click and they finished on a tear. 

That 3rd season they were the #2 ranked defense in the NFL, and were top 10 in each of the following 3 years (iirc). 

Sometimes it just takes time for things to come together, especially when you have younger players getting experience as starters. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/7/2018 at 6:25 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I would keep Hughes next year...

He is not overly expensive for his abilities, and he will be motivated in a contract year to play well for one last payday.. ( maybe not with Buffalo for 2020 and beyond..)

I have feeling though that there will be another dozen or so "trade Hughes for a 6th" threads over the next 8 months......

Ask Barbarian to create a poll on some scrub QB to trade him for.  That thread was very popular.

On 10/7/2018 at 6:43 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think you have to throw in Lewis and Marlowe as instant contributors, unexpected IMO.....

For Marlowe instant contributor and instant released.

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Ask Barbarian to create a poll on some scrub QB to trade him for.  That thread was very popular.

For Marlowe instant contributor and instant released.

...baffling.....sure hope they call me.....talk about Bob from Accountemps....Jesus...............

On 10/7/2018 at 6:35 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

He only did that for the 2nd half of the Chargers' game. Since then Frazier has called the defense on game days.

A good D attacks not sit back.  McD showed Frazier how its done.

On 10/9/2018 at 1:02 PM, billsfan89 said:

I think they would have Kyle and Lorax back if they wanted to come back on one year modest deals. That being said I think Kyle retires after this year but Lorax comes back for one more. Hughes is a keeper if he continues his strong play, his production level compared to his contract is very valuable, not to mention the locker room leader that he is.

Although I don't doubt that the Bills will draft some defensive players I suspect they will invest more on the offensive side of the ball in the draft. Besides pass rusher (I think unless Murphy pans out big they need a front line pass rusher to complement Hughes and make Murphy/Shaq rotational players) the Bills don't have any big ticket needs on defense. Maybe they might need a corner and a LB but they should be able to take care of one or even two of those needs with the cap space that they have. 

Their offensive needs are much bigger and the free agent market (Particularly at WR) is drying up for them. I would rather see the Bills invest most of their draft picks on offense. The defense will still likely see some young mid round picks added but I think overall the 3 out of the first 4 picks will be on the offensive side of the ball. 

Agreed, the offensive fa's are drying up real fast. May have to spend all that fa $ on defense and the entire draft on offense. Go after Brown & Lamb from Oklahoma. 

20 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agreed, the offensive fa's are drying up real fast. May have to spend all that fa $ on defense and the entire draft on offense. Go after Brown & Lamb from Oklahoma. 

This might have to be the route.  Re-sign Jordan Phillips if he keeps playing well, and sign a true SLB and maybe a pass rusher. 

I think the most encouraging game for the defense was actually the GB game. I understand that Rodgers was banged up, but we made life uncomfortable for him and that is the key against a top QB.

You could almost dismiss the Viking games as some kind of crazy anomaly and the Titans game because Mariotta wasn't very good.

Going into GB, not moving the ball, and only allowing 22 points was most impressive to me.

31 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think the most encouraging game for the defense was actually the GB game. I understand that Rodgers was banged up, but we made life uncomfortable for him and that is the key against a top QB.

You could almost dismiss the Viking games as some kind of crazy anomaly and the Titans game because Mariotta wasn't very good.

Going into GB, not moving the ball, and only allowing 22 points was most impressive to me.

That Minny offense has looked great every week except our game. I think that says something as well.

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

That Minny offense has looked great every week except our game. I think that says something as well.

Yeah. Not taking anything away from that performance.

I just like that it hasn't been a blip or two. It's been 3 1/2 solid weeks of good defense. 

Sustained success is what you want to see in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/8/2018 at 7:56 AM, ScottLaw said:

For some reason posters just want to trade the whole roster away and have NO players. Literally 0 players. It makes 0 sense to me.

Literally zero players?

Literally?

Yeah, I get all worn out by all the "Trade Edmunds" and "Trade Tre White" threads.

7 hours ago, billspro said:

Hate to be the grouch, but it sure looked to me like part of that was just that Minny had an absolutely awful game. Yeah, some of it was us playing well, but they came out flatter than the Bonneville Salt Flats.

But they legitimately look like they're coming together into a force to be taken seriously.

Edited by Thurman#1