The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Number Three in DVOA

Does it really matter?  Arizona's offense sucks.  Bills offense sucks a little worse.  I couldn't really care less about Arizona.  I care about the Bills.  The Bills offense is the worst offense I can ever remember watching.  Win or lose doesn't really matter to me.  I expected to win 3 to 6 games going into the season.  It would be nice to see this offense at least put a couple TDs in the games.  At this point at least a few good drives together.  They cant even do that anymore.

When did this become about the offense? Don't we have enough threads about how terrible the offense is?

I was curious to see what people were saying about our Defense after a game (regardless of the score) where we couldn't force any turnovers, nor get pressure on the QB and how it looked as a unit. In a likely fruitless attempt to bring this back to the Defense, people claiming it's an elite unit seem too early to the party. I like where the unit is headed, and we're about a year or two of development within the current roster and two to three more starting talent level players from having a truly elite unit that can keep us in games where we don't force turnovers, and where we can get better pressure on the QB week in and week out regardless of the OL we're facing.

4 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

When did this become about the offense? Don't we have enough threads about how terrible the offense is?

I was curious to see what people were saying about our Defense after a game (regardless of the score) where we couldn't force any turnovers, nor get pressure on the QB and how it looked as a unit. In a likely fruitless attempt to bring this back to the Defense, people claiming it's an elite unit seem too early to the party. I like where the unit is headed, and we're about a year or two of development within the current roster and two to three more starting talent level players from having a truly elite unit that can keep us in games where we don't force turnovers, and where we can get better pressure on the QB week in and week out regardless of the OL we're facing.

The Colts OL dominated the game to neutralize the Bills front 7. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Colts OL dominated the game to neutralize the Bills front 7. 

Fair enough, meant more of a long term trend analysis. The extreme polarity of our defensive performances is what gets to me - turnovers are great and yes are part of the game, but without them our defense can't stop a running nose. So I have a difficult time agreeing this unit is either "elite" or a "top unit" in the league. And I'm honestly wondering how long it can last...

To extrapolate, tangentially, in a year where offensive positions are of much greater need, in a defense heavy draft, I wonder how this unit can continue to be built without regressing in performance, or sacrificing our needs on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Fair enough, meant more of a long term trend analysis. The extreme polarity of our defensive performances is what gets to me - turnovers are great and yes are part of the game, but without them our defense can't stop a running nose. So I have a difficult time agreeing this unit is either "elite" or a "top unit" in the league. And I'm honestly wondering how long it can last...

To extrapolate, tangentially, in a year where offensive positions are of much greater need, in a defense heavy draft, I wonder how this unit can continue to be built without regressing in performance, or sacrificing our needs on offense.

They have have expolited some of the weaker offensive lines like Houston in week 6. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Number Four in DVOA
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Number Two in DVOA

Well it could be worse I guess. The Bills have one side of the ball in check at least to build off of.

But this :(

WORST OFFENSIVE DVOA
THROUGH 9 GAMES, 1986-2018
Year Team DVOA
2018 BUF -53.9%
2005 SF -53.0%
2002 HOU -47.0%
2010 CAR -45.9%
2013 JAX -44.5%
1992 SEA -44.3%
2007 SF -43.8%
1996 STL -43.0%
2009 OAK -42.7%
1992 IND -39.9%
2006 OAK -39.7%
2004 MIA -38.6%

giphy.gif

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Well it could be worse I guess. The Bills have one side of the ball in check at least to build off of.

WORST OFFENSIVE DVOA
Year Team DVOA
2018 BUF -53.9%
2005 SF -53.0%
2002 HOU -47.0%
2010 CAR -45.9%
2013 JAX -44.5%
1992 SEA -44.3%
2007 SF -43.8%
1996 STL -43.0%
2009 OAK -42.7%
1992 IND -39.9%
2006 OAK -39.7%
2004 MIA -38.6%

giphy.gif

I feel like this has been a trend with Bills teams for a while.  They are either good to great on defense or average to awful on offense.  Even average play by the this years team would have gotten them at least 1 or 2 more wins this year.

And it's usually the same during the games.  Defense keeps them in the game then gets worn down and end up getting crushed late in the game.  Lucky the offense has been helping with the "getting crushed" part and I can take care of other needs around the house before half time.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

WORST OFFENSIVE DVOA
Year Team DVOA
2018 BUF -53.9%
2005 SF -53.0%
2002 HOU -47.0%
2010 CAR -45.9%
2013 JAX -44.5%
1992 SEA -44.3%
2007 SF -43.8%
1996 STL -43.0%
2009 OAK -42.7%
1992 IND -39.9%
2006 OAK -39.7%
2004 MIA -38.6%

giphy.gif

I just don’t know how you build around a defense anymore.  It’s just so hard to get 11-16 guys to play consistently at a high level for 48-64 games.  Along with injuries, fatigue, familiarity and free agency.

there have been some stellar defenses in the last 5-6 seasons but most them came and went in a blink of eye it seems like.

49ers Defense had a 2 season window

Legion of Boom? What? 3 season window?

Jaguars? 1 season?

Broncos? 1-2 Seasons?

defense is just not reliable IMO to be built upon for a long haul.

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I just don’t know how you build around a defense anymore.  It’s just so hard to get 11-16 guys to play consistently at a high level for 48-64 games.  Along with injuries, fatigue, familiarity and free agency.

there have been some stellar defenses in the last 5-6 seasons but most them came and went in a blink of eye it seems like.

49ers Defense had a 2 season window

Legion of Boom? What? 3 season window?

Jaguars? 1 season?

Broncos? 1-2 Seasons?

defense is just not reliable IMO to be built upon for a long haul.

Yes lomg term advanced metrics bear this out...the correlation year to year is much higher for offense than it is for defense

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I feel like this has been a trend with Bills teams for a while.  They are either good to great on defense or average to awful on offense.  Even average play by the this years team would have gotten them at least 1 or 2 more wins this year.

And it's usually the same during the games.  Defense keeps them in the game then gets worn down and end up getting crushed late in the game.  Lucky the offense has been helping with the "getting crushed" part and I can take care of other needs around the house before half time.

Sunday, in a game where the Bears had a TOP of under 26 minutes, the Bills D still gave up 27 points (their average for the season, by the way).  In the second Q they gave up 14 (the Bills Offense gave up the other 14).

They weren't "worn down".

The jags have a bad offset, yet their D is far better than the Bills.  Why aren't they getting so when down that they give up 27 a game?

• Like (+1) 1