The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Number Three in DVOA

We gonna win some games because of the defense . I can picture next week a horrible offensive performance against the Texans with less than 70 total yards and no score and somehow the defense score a touchdown after a interception . Final score Bills 7 Texans 6 

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

The biggest problem with the defense is the offense. 

This is true.  I was actually encouraged after the GB game with our defense.  We punted 9 times and 7 were 3 and out.  If you keep giving Aaron Rodgers more drives, he's eventually going to score.  We held them to 22 on the road.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They are congealing into a unit that can keep the team in games on a weekly basis.  It's nice to see after the slow start to begin the season. 

All the hate put on Star and Trent Murphy. All those people should eat crow. This defense is slowly becoming elite. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Top Ten in DVOA
1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What you posted is through 4 games.

Whoops. Good catch. I’m not seeing stats for through 5 games. Maybe because the Monday night game hasn’t been played yet?

Edited by BarleyNY

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Whoops. Good catch. I’m not seeing stats for through 5 games. Maybe because the Monday night game hasn’t been played yet?

Exactly. Week 5 is not complete until that game is over with the updated DVOA calculated and posted tomorrow. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What are the common stats in Bills wins this season?

BILLS CLIMB THE NFL'S DEFENSIVE RANKS
Buffalo’s defense has steadily climbed the rankings for total defense. After Sunday’s win they now rank sixth in the league allowing 330.8 yards per game.

The Bills also rank sixth in the league in number of plays allowed of 20 yards-or-more. They’ve given up just 16 through their first five games.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 10/7/2018 at 6:25 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I would keep Hughes next year...

He is not overly expensive for his abilities, and he will be motivated in a contract year to play well for one last payday.. ( maybe not with Buffalo for 2020 and beyond..)

I have feeling though that there will be another dozen or so "trade Hughes for a 6th" threads over the next 8 months......

He’s a good player . 8th all time in bills sacks, super disruptive, if he plays out his deal he is on pace to pass biscuit on the all time sack list at #4.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, Mark Vader said:

Could that "unknown reason" be Sean McDermott taking over the defensive play calling?

Didn't he give it back to Leslie after that? Could be wrong though...is there any real way of verifying who exactly called the plays each game? Or if they split responsibility?

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

I'd keep Hughes.  Lorax and Williams will be gone. Team is going to get much younger next year with all those picks

I think they would have Kyle and Lorax back if they wanted to come back on one year modest deals. That being said I think Kyle retires after this year but Lorax comes back for one more. Hughes is a keeper if he continues his strong play, his production level compared to his contract is very valuable, not to mention the locker room leader that he is.

Although I don't doubt that the Bills will draft some defensive players I suspect they will invest more on the offensive side of the ball in the draft. Besides pass rusher (I think unless Murphy pans out big they need a front line pass rusher to complement Hughes and make Murphy/Shaq rotational players) the Bills don't have any big ticket needs on defense. Maybe they might need a corner and a LB but they should be able to take care of one or even two of those needs with the cap space that they have. 

Their offensive needs are much bigger and the free agent market (Particularly at WR) is drying up for them. I would rather see the Bills invest most of their draft picks on offense. The defense will still likely see some young mid round picks added but I think overall the 3 out of the first 4 picks will be on the offensive side of the ball. 

Someone had asked me how I knew the defense was going to get better as the season progressed in another thread... You have young guys learning more every game growing more as teammates every game. That's how I knew they would get better. Least that was my honest belief... Glad to see it coming to be. We are going to need that defense to play lights out with how the offense has sputtered along.

• Like (+1) 2