Optimistic outlook despite poor performance

Just now, quinnearlysghost88 said:

When other teams steal a win on Sunday their fans don’t say well it wasn’t impressive enough. They just celebrate and move on.  The inferiority complex here is ripe. 

YUP.

Another symptom of WFBITNFL syndrome.

There were people that said bills would start 0-8 with this schedule so 2-3 isnt so bad. 

Allen is a warrior and has shown some heart and the players around him are terrible.

Hopefully he just keeps getting better and with this crew that would be very promising.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I just want to see some further development. His accuracy today has me somewhat concerned as the few balls he threw greater than 5 yards were all over the place. He did have a couple nice throws today to Clay and Zay that illustrate his skills. 

The D since the 2nd half of the Chargers game has been really, really good.  The O-ilne with a running game looked pretty good as well today.

Agreed. He has a tendency to be all over with his ball placement. Sometimes it's beautiful, which gives you hope, and others it looks like EJ Manuel. The encouraging part to me is the obvious confidence and leadership ability, as well as poise in the pocket for the most part.

Cutting down the field using the rollout was a good idea by Daboll, but there never seems to be any separation down field.

• Like (+1) 1

Ravens, Charges, Vikes, Packers, Titans...   Those teams are a combined 13 - 10 on the year.  

we came out 2-3 against those teams... many guessed we would be 0-5 at this point, we could very well win the next two weeks and face NE with a 4-3 record.   

• Like (+1) 1

Allen had the games only TD and led an effective game ending drive resulting in the winning points. In that drive he had a couple of completions. The kid didn't look nervous or disappoint in how he executed the offense. Kudos to him for his first game winning drive with less than 5 minutes on the clock. If he turns the ball over TN comes out with the "W". JA did his part, nothing magical or jaw dropping. He just did his job. IMO a solid step in the right direction. Success builds confidence. Good bounce back performance by Josh and Co. after last weeks debacle in GB.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

2-3 with 3 road games already played, soon to be 4. Not bad, tough schedule to start the year.

Tough to finish as well.  The Bears and Lions look tougher than usual, along with the Jags and Pats.   Hopefully the Fins are a mirage and the Jests are... the Jests.

What I see is that no one in the NFL misjudged the QB's by much. Allen was the 3rd QB taken and he is playing either 3rd or 4th of the Big 4 so far. Mayfield has some weapons but has always looked better. We know that.  We all wanted Baker.  Darnold is playing better. Then it was Allen's upside vs Rosen's consistency. We took Allen. Let's hope for some upside.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....tell me where I can find a better Amusement Park with free admission and I'll go there pronto............:thumbsup:

Ah Oldtimer it's a blast from the past to hear your "Amusement Park" line.

All I can do is borrow a line in reply, "Ever since Fischer-Price went Wi-Fi ..................."! 

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills ran the ball decisively.  That is a compliment to the offense.  Allen managed the game well, never putting himself in 3rd and long situation.  The INT was not his mistake.  He drove the team in the final minutes to a game winning FG.   The offense was fine.

I won't make a final determination on JA till the end of next year at the earliest.  He needs 4 new wr's. He needs 2 new TE's. Maybe 3-4 olineman. He has basically no weapons to throw to. Yes the accuracy issues will have to be improved.  Today there were many short throws low and at the receiver's shin. The quick reads and running attack was the right call today by Daboll. He will be an on the job training qb all year. 

4 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

I don’t think anybody would say today was a great showing, at least not from the offensive side of the ball.  I think many here wanted to draft a qb, but didn’t want that pick to be Allen.  I was one of them.  However, he is now 2-2 as the starter, despite looking somewhat underwhelming.  I don’t think 2-2 is bad considering the opponents we’ve faced so far.  

What this tells me is that the defensive side of the ball is doing pretty well, despite having to overcome the offense.  Long drives are not something that is coming regularly at this time.  The first 6 quarters of the season are well documented, but since then, they’ve been playing much better.

Couple that with the thought that Allen, even if he doesn’t turn into a superstar, will at least get better, and hopefully have more weapons around him in the future.  If he can play .500 ball with such mediocre talent, imagine if he gets more talent and makes incremental improvements to his game.  We can start competing soon, as early as next year.  I know a blowout loss next week will send everyone back to thinking we are terrible and in the first year if a 10 year rebuild, but Allen at his worst (we would hope) is still playing .500 ball because the rest of the team is stepping up (defense specifically).  

So i will view today as something positive.  The stats were bad.  My eyes tell me Allen was bad.  But rookies can be bad sometimes.  They don’t always light up the scoreboard.  So maybe this regime can get this thing turned around quickly.  Who knows?

You want to talk about abysmal QB play?

9 of 21 for 123 yards.   2 ints. 0 TDs.

Who???

Rothlisberger’s first Super Bowl. 21-10 victory.

He was god awful but he turned into a SB winning QB afterwards that any of us would have loved.

12 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Ravens, Charges, Vikes, Packers, Titans...   Those teams are a combined 13 - 10 on the year.  

we came out 2-3 against those teams... many guessed we would be 0-5 at this point, we could very well win the next two weeks and face NE with a 4-3 record.   

They would be 15-8 if the Bills were 0-5 ;)

Tough schedule so far.

Hopefully the D can get after Watson then Luck and the Bills go into Monday Oct 29th    4-3