Optimistic outlook despite poor performance

I don’t think anybody would say today was a great showing, at least not from the offensive side of the ball.  I think many here wanted to draft a qb, but didn’t want that pick to be Allen.  I was one of them.  However, he is now 2-2 as the starter, despite looking somewhat underwhelming.  I don’t think 2-2 is bad considering the opponents we’ve faced so far.  

What this tells me is that the defensive side of the ball is doing pretty well, despite having to overcome the offense.  Long drives are not something that is coming regularly at this time.  The first 6 quarters of the season are well documented, but since then, they’ve been playing much better.

Couple that with the thought that Allen, even if he doesn’t turn into a superstar, will at least get better, and hopefully have more weapons around him in the future.  If he can play .500 ball with such mediocre talent, imagine if he gets more talent and makes incremental improvements to his game.  We can start competing soon, as early as next year.  I know a blowout loss next week will send everyone back to thinking we are terrible and in the first year if a 10 year rebuild, but Allen at his worst (we would hope) is still playing .500 ball because the rest of the team is stepping up (defense specifically).  

So i will view today as something positive.  The stats were bad.  My eyes tell me Allen was bad.  But rookies can be bad sometimes.  They don’t always light up the scoreboard.  So maybe this regime can get this thing turned around quickly.  Who knows?

• Like (+1) 4

I just want to see some further development. His accuracy today has me somewhat concerned as the few balls he threw greater than 5 yards were all over the place. He did have a couple nice throws today to Clay and Zay that illustrate his skills. 

The D since the 2nd half of the Chargers game has been really, really good.  The O-ilne with a running game looked pretty good as well today.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I just want to see some further development. His accuracy today has me somewhat concerned as the few balls he threw greater than 5 yards were all over the place. He did have a couple nice throws today to Clay and Zay that illustrate his skills. 

The D since the 2nd half of the Chargers game has been really, really good.  The O-ilne with a running game looked pretty good as well today.

Nice throw to Holmes downfield.  Can't make it not go through his hands.

• Like (+1) 4

That’s what the blueprint of this season should be moving forward.  

Establish the run game with Shady/Ivory.  

Rely on our very talented Defense. 

Hope for progression from Allen and the Receivers.    Holmes is what he is, and we should try to upgrade from him asap, but I do hold out hope that Zay can become a weapon out of the slot and Allen/Benjamin can get on the same page.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

That’s what the blueprint of this season should be moving forward.  

Establish the run game with Shady/Ivory.  

Rely on our very talented Defense. 

Hope for progression from Allen and the Receivers.    Holmes is what he is, and we should try to upgrade from him asap, but I do hold out hope that Zay can become a weapon out of the slot and Allen/Benjamin can get on the same page.  

This is essentially my point.  We are playing .500 with Allen, at what I assume to be his worst with zero talent around him other than an aging McCoy. With improvements not only to the receiving group, but improvements in Allen’s game, we should compete sooner than later.  And for that I’m optimistic moving forward

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Judging by this board, you'd think we got blown out

....may perhaps be more about the 224 yds on offense at home, a bit lethargic, and wondering how many times you'll squeeze out a "W" with those offensive numbers.....kudos to the defense holding them to 229 yds...I've been pretty hard on Frazier of late......observational assessments?...yup....wine?....love the stuff...whine?...not my style.....

Gotta be honest, I’m impressed by Allen. No, he doesn’t look perfect. But with the unimaginative play calling (running on first downs, zero screens, etc...), busted line, and a well below average receiving stable I think the way he keeps coming with that fire in his belly is super impressive. 

Cant wait to see the kid develop with actual talent around him. 

Hope he does it with the Bills. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Ray Finkel said:

The defensive is playing awesome but scoring 13 points in the last 10 quarters is very concerning.

It’s concerning but you’re watching the same team we are. The talent and the play calls are lacking. 

Most teams live or die with QB play, we’ll do it with Defense again. That’s what happens when you only spend money and draft picks on one side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1