Bruce Arians on rookie QBs

Big Blitz

Not sure if this was posted anywhere so apologies...lock up or delete if it was.

Arians does not hesitate to say that this year’s quartet of top-10 overall QB draft picks indeed ought to play. Right now.

“When you draft a guy No. 1, especially in the top 10, you draft your franchise,” Arians, who turned 66 on Wednesday, said this week in a phone interview. “I don’t think you learn by sitting on the bench. You learn from playing.....

I asked Arians what he’d do with Allen, this year’s No. 7 draft pick.  Arians said he’d still play the University of Wyoming product now. 

“If I’m a GM and I have a top young quarterback,” Arians said, “the first thing I’m investing in is the offensive line. Not receivers, not running backs...."

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/kryk-play-rookie-qbs-ex-coach-bruce-arians-says-but-run-to-help-them/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Not sure if this was posted anywhere so apologies...lock up or delete if it was.

Arians does not hesitate to say that this year’s quartet of top-10 overall QB draft picks indeed ought to play. Right now.

“When you draft a guy No. 1, especially in the top 10, you draft your franchise,” Arians, who turned 66 on Wednesday, said this week in a phone interview. “I don’t think you learn by sitting on the bench. You learn from playing.....

I asked Arians what he’d do with Allen, this year’s No. 7 draft pick.  Arians said he’d still play the University of Wyoming product now. 

“If I’m a GM and I have a top young quarterback,” Arians said, “the first thing I’m investing in is the offensive line. Not receivers, not running backs...."

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/kryk-play-rookie-qbs-ex-coach-bruce-arians-says-but-run-to-help-them/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Except that we didn’t invest in the OL

Watching the Cardinals game and Howie Long says (referring to Rosen) "I think they got their QB. Now they just need to surround him with good weapons."

They have Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson. ?

Maybe he was also referring to the OL

2 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

You don’t think people with as much experience as Dilfer and Arians are allowed two different opinions. Don’t be dumb there isn’t one answer to the question. 

I respect Dilfer.  A lot.

But I'll gladly put all my faith in Arians, who I consider one of the 3 best OCs of the last 20 years.  

Edited by Big Blitz

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I respect Dilfer.  A lot.

But I'll gladly put all my faith in Arians, who I consider one of the 3 best OCs of the last 20 years.  

Allen coaches him in the elite 11 qb camp. So how bout dilfer knows this kid as well. 

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Watching the Cardinals game and Howie Long says (referring to Rosen) "I think they got their QB. Now they just need to surround him with good weapons."

They have Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson. ?

Maybe he was also referring to the OL

Larry isn't having a good year. Looks like the wall may have arrived. But they also have a sucky OL. Their receivers have the highest drop % in the league I believe. 

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Makes lots of sense. O line get you time. Particularly with Allen’s rocket arm, an extra half 3/4 second is everything 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Larry isn't having a good year. Looks like the wall may have arrived. But they also have a sucky OL. Their receivers have the highest drop % in the league I believe. 

I don't think so at all. It's the QBs and the coaching. They haven't figured out who they are as an offense.

20 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I like the offensive line investment first, and I agree with playing the young QB.

,,,isn't the "older than dirt adage" that you "build from the ball out"?.....Cowher asserts that the " OL is THE most important unit on the football field"....Marv tried but his beef had too much fat.......think when you have LT/LG tandems ala Shell/Upshaw or Jones/Hutchinson being called "legendary" by Holmgren, there may be some truth to the OL importance......Castillo didn't get the memo....nor did McBeane as far as supplying talent....oh well....

36 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

And maybe a good offensive line coach

42 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's also just assuming that an NFL team is going to have at least an average NFL WR corps, which we don't.

By definition of "average" some teams will be above average, some will be average and some will be below average.

Sometimes I think people do not understand math like expecting someone to "give 110%".

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Bruce obviously has not established his TBD credentials (or any bulletin board credentials) and as such really has no qualifications to weigh in on this matter. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

By definition of "average" some teams will be above average, some will be average and some will be below average.

Sometimes I think people do not understand math like expecting someone to "give 110%".

I agree with that. But if you asked Arians about rookie QBs and told him that this rookie in his hypothetical would have our WR, he would not say this is the way to "play" him and get that experience. I would bet anything on it.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree with that. But if you asked Arians about rookie QBs and told him that this rookie in his hypothetical would have our WR, he would not say this is the way to "play" him and get that experience. I would bet anything on it.

Go bet with BuffaloRush.  I heard he likes to make crazy bets.

• Haha (+1) 1