Bills 13 Titans 12 Postgame Thread

44 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

That's the point. Get high picks, refill talent and rings will come

Is that the point? The point isn't being schematically ahead of the league? That's not the point? The point is to take a QB that hasn't shown anything at any level aka gut-alytics instead of a QB that was dead accurate and hell, no way, still dead accurate AND somehow has a better deep ball thus far? Was that the point? 

I'm totally lost on this dumbass FO. I love Allen the kid but he fundamentally sucks at QB. Simple things like identifying extra pressure from your right, for example, means you might have someone unaccounted for on that side. He isn't showing that. I wasn't worried after preseason, week 1 or 2. 3 was fun but 4 and 5 when he started getting blitzed more, he isn't understanding high school level looks. It's honestly a massive shock. I thought a lot of the guys negative on him were exaggerating but this is pathetic. 

And of course, everyone is full homer mode right now. I'm so happy we won today but this season isn't about wins, it's about #17. 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Is that the point? The point isn't being schematically ahead of the league? That's not the point? The point is to take a QB that hasn't shown anything at any level aka gut-alytics instead of a QB that was dead accurate and hell, no way, still dead accurate AND somehow has a better deep ball thus far? Was that the point? 

I'm totally lost on this dumbass FO. I love Allen the kid but he fundamentally sucks at QB. Simple things like identifying extra pressure from your right, for example, means you might have someone unaccounted for on that side. He isn't showing that. I wasn't worried after preseason, week 1 or 2. 3 was fun but 4 and 5 when he started getting blitzed more, he isn't understanding high school level looks. It's honestly a massive shock. I thought a lot of the guys negative on him were exaggerating but this is pathetic. 

a Mike Pettine defense is about as far from high school as you can get, man. He deserves much longer than 5 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, vincec said:

I'm confused. Is this a tank season or not? When they lose we hear that it's all part of the master plan. Trust the process. When they win we hear how silly anyone who ever doubted them is.

Haha yes I'd like to know what our plan is rather than retroactively defining the process. Apparently it's all a master plan if we go 13-3 or 2-14 BUT 8-8 IS UNACCEPTABLE definitely not the process master plan...

Unless we go 8-8.

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

a Mike Pettine defense is about as far from high school as you can get, man. He deserves much longer than 5 weeks. 

Oh yeah a Mike Pettine defense is a rookie's nightmare. Blitzes they've never seen at any point in the game.

What We Learned So Far from Sunday's Week 5 Games

Buffalo Bills 13, Tennessee Titans 12

1. After a dazzling performance filled with daring-do against the Eagles, Tennessee's offense morphed into a raging dud on Sunday, stuck watching from afar as Buffalo's Stephen Hauschka nailed a 46-yard field goal at the buzzer for another surprising upset by the Bills (2-3). The Titans (3-2) came out flat and never rose to life, with wideout Taywan Taylor losing a fumble on the team's first possession before a subsequent doomed toss by Marcus Mariota landed in the arms of Bills fourth-rounder Taron Johnson. Tennessee's troubles extended into the second half with a killer fumble by Dion Lewis. Hanging around with four field goals by Ryan Succop simply wasn't enough. It's fair to ask what happened to the aggressive attack that nipped Philly a week ago, but chalk that up to a Buffalo defense that played well from wire to wire and held Mariota to just 129 yards at 5.0 yards per throw.

2. This game showed us once again what Josh Allen can do on the ground as Buffalo's rookie signal-caller opened the scoring with a tantalizing, 14-yard scoring scramble through Tennessee's top-ranked red-zone defense. The Bills left points on the board, though, when punter-holder Corey Bojorquezmelted down on an apparent fake field goal in the second quarter before Allen saw a pass bounce weirdly into the arms of Tennessee's Adoree' Jackson. What impressed me was a Bills ground game that saw LeSean McCoy (24/85) and Chris Ivory (14/43) make a handful of big, clock-chewing runs down the stretch against a Titans defensive front that was overpowered in key moments.

3. Results aside, Sunday served as another reminder that knocking out the Bills in Buffalo is no simple task. The play of Jerry HughesTrent Murphy and the team's defensive front seven often echoed the team's stunning win over Minnesota. Buffalo controlled the line of scrimmages for drives at a time and took away Mariota's first read.

-- Marc Sessler

6 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

And of course, everyone is full homer mode right now. I'm so happy we won today but this season isn't about wins, it's about #17. 

Every season is about wins and #17 is going to be the difference maker. If he can't win with this defensive performance (he needs to play the bare minimum of mediocre quarterback play), then we lose, and I'm officially worried. If he does win these games consistently even though he looks ugly doing it, that's a great rookie year for 17 and should be a lot more wins than this offense has any business earning.

But damn Rosen throws a pretty ball with the Cardinals. They have a case of the dropsies worse than us, but don't look at his stat lines, just know Larry friggin Fitzgerald has dropped 2 dimes of would be TD throws.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo controlled the line of scrimmages for drives at a time and took away Mariota's first read.

Didn't particularly notice the front 7 played that well, but would love that development to stay that way

Glad they (luckily) got away with the W.

That being said, it amazes me how awful this offense is. I really don’t know where the bulk of the problem is. Dabol? Allen? Lack of talent? How do you tell? They all seem to compliment each other in the worst way possible. 

Congrats to McD on the defensive win, but unfortunately, today’s NFL is won through the air offensively. Unfortunately for us fans, this is something that I am more and more confident each week that this staff is clueless about.

1 minute ago, No Cease Fires said:

Somebody in the "guess the final score" thread said that no matter what the score people would complain.

Prediction of the day!

No kidding.  In Washington, a kid like Allen driving the team to a last minute win and he would be hailed as a future hall of famer.  On this board, many have decided he is a bust. It's absurd.  4 games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Every season is about wins and #17 is going to be the difference maker. If he can't win with this defensive performance (he needs to play the bare minimum of mediocre quarterback play), then we lose, and I'm officially worried. If he does win these games consistently even though he looks ugly doing it, that's a great rookie year for 17 and should be a lot more wins than this offense has any business earning.

But damn Rosen throws a pretty ball with the Cardinals. They have a case of the dropsies worse than us, but don't look at his stat lines, just know Larry friggin Fitzgerald has dropped 2 dimes of would be TD throws.

Didn't particularly notice the front 7 played that well, but would love that development to stay that way

When you hold a team to no touchdowns, by definition, the front seven played well. 

...guess it's just the ebbs and flows of the NFL game with zero predictability...we crushed the Vikes and they're dominating the Eagles today......the high flying Wentz coughed up fumble #26 in 32 games........Mahomes keeps tickin'...Brownies win in OT.......and it continues I guess..........

BUF-Bills-Header.png

The Bills were committed to the run game, as evidenced by their 43 total carries, but they weren’t exactly effective. It was positive that LeSean McCoyhad 24 carries in this one, but he averaged just 3.5 yards per carry. A positive note is that McCoy did have a few runs in which he looked like he was back to his usual self. Specifically, the third-down catch and run late in the fourth quarter, in which he forced multiple missed tackles to bring the Bills into winning position.

The run game was so aggressive in this one because it was clear that the Bills were trying to keep it simple for Josh Allen. Almost every passing play was either a short designed quick pass or screen, or one in which Allen rolled out in order to cut down on his reads. The good news is that he was effective at it. He missed on throws, of course, but there were no real bad turnover-worthy plays, which is a big positive for Allen.

Cornerback Tre’Davious White is starting to get recognized by opposing offenses in his second year in the NFL, as quarterbacks have started to avoid him. White was targeted just one time against Tennessee, and that ball fell incomplete.

Buffalo linebackers had an impressive outing against Tennessee. Matt Milanoand Lorenzo Alexander were both all over the field, as they made multiple plays both in coverage and in run defense. Their solid tackling was a big key in the Bills not allowing big plays to the Titans.