Daniel Jeremiah's Top 25 Rookies: Edmunds & Allen Make the List at 19 and 24

Well obviously Allen wouldn't make the top 25 rookies...he's not even close to decent yet.

More upsetting is that Edmunds isn't on here. Yes, he's young, but he was supposed to be one of those guys you could plug in right away & have a huge impact. Plenty of other LB rookies have done it, even those you don't expect much of anything from (like Kiko Alonso).

There's 6 LB's on this top 25 list, with many being only a year or 2 older. Edmunds hasn't been nearly as bad as Allen so far, but he's still not excelling as much as I hoped he would. I figured he'd for sure be one of the 6 best rookie LB's, or top 25 rookies period at this point in the season. Oh well, can only hope he plays lights out the rest of the year.

Edited by BigDingus

On 10/7/2018 at 1:11 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cite examples of him being wrong.  He's a guy who not only scouts players during their CFB careers, but watches film on players all across the league.  At any rate, let's see what you have to back up your assertion. 

And was an actual scout in an actual NFL personnel department and working with bona fide NFL guys in Ozzie and DeCosta. 

DJ might not get everything right - newflash: nobody does - but he puts the work in and is pretty good at what he does. 

On 10/7/2018 at 4:15 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Bojorquez is our best rookie so far.  If one of our guys is on the list, it should be him.

No he isn't. 

Our best rookies are Taron Johnson and Harrison Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 2

Allen and Edmunds are not on the list because they have not played that well so far. The list does not say "this is the final evaluation of people 5 games into their careers and anyone not on it will never be good." It just lists the rookies who have been good so far. 

Allen has had 1 good game out of the 4 he has started and Edmunds (while he played better last week) is still having some issues - particularly gap discipline in the run game. Those tackles fans are cheering that he is making 8, 10, 15 yards down the field showing his speed and athleticism are almost exclusively because he is in the wrong spot to start with. 

It is not time to panic about either of these guys but getting angry because they are not getting praised when they don't yet deserve it is rather silly. 

On 10/7/2018 at 8:09 AM, John from Riverside said:

He is wrong a lot....basically

Jeremiah's smart. Sure he's wrong a lot. Everyone is when they're trying to predict the future often.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:35 AM, John from Riverside said:

Rather then go through all that I will just say it’s too soon To even make a evaluation on rookies

Nah. It's fine as long as what you're doing is evaluating what we've seen so far, without assuming that what we've seen so far is what we'll see going forward.

EDIT: I see this has become a thing in this thread. Sorry, John, didn't mean to pile on. You're a good poster.

On 10/7/2018 at 11:15 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Bojorquez is our best rookie so far.  If one of our guys is on the list, it should be him.

Harrison Phillips or Taron Johnson.

This shouldn't worry anyone. Allen was seen as developmental and Edmunds was seen as terrifically athletic but needs to learn not to overrun plays and to hit the right holes. Allen was never going to be good this early and it was unlikely with Edmunds. 

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And was an actual scout in an actual NFL personnel department and working with bona fide NFL guys in Ozzie and DeCosta. 

DJ might not get everything right - newflash: nobody does - but he puts the work in and is pretty good at what he does. 

No he isn't. 

Our best rookies are Taron Johnson and Harrison Phillips. 

Bojorquez has been very good at the actual punting. There have been some extra things that were not so good

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He hasn't. His hang times are atrocious. He has a big leg and at the moment that is it.

No it’s not. His avg were good and his net avg was very good until last week when Lacey wiffed a tackle and caused a huge return. Also he had the most inside the 20 in the league. He’s a good punter. Not a good holder apparently 

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No it’s not. His avg were good and his net avg was very good until last week when Lacey wiffed a tackle and caused a huge return. Also he had the most inside the 20 in the league. He’s a good punter. Not a good holder apparently 

Check the stats. Worst hang time in the league. 

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Check the inside 20 and avg. those are what I usually care about

Well I guess we look for totally different things in punters. I want consistency and hang time to allow my coverage teams to get there. Inside the 20 punts are good but having lots of then just tells me my offense isn't moving the ball well enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well I guess we look for totally different things in punters. I want consistency and hang time to allow my coverage teams to get there. Inside the 20 punts are good but having lots of then just tells me my offense isn't moving the ball well enough. 

I mean you could kick a 30 yd punt high enough to get coverage under. I just think he’s done a good job and his avg were nice and net avg was very good until a missed tackle through no fault of his own. If your net avg is good then you are doing what you are supposed to regardless of hang time

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I mean you could kick a 30 yd punt high enough to get coverage under. I just think he’s done a good job and his avg were nice and net avg was very good until a missed tackle through no fault of his own. If your net avg is good then you are doing what you are supposed to regardless of hang time

He has had two big returns on him not just 1. I think he is inconsistent, hopeless hang time, bad at the other elements, no direction particularly just boots it as hard as he can. Isn't just me who thinks it either. He has the lowest PFF punt grade in the league. 

On 10/6/2018 at 7:06 PM, John from Riverside said:

I would worry more if one of them WAS on the list because this guy is a idiot

Ahh yes, the society we live in, where if you don’t like what someone says or you disagree with them they are immediately “an idiot.”