Anyone ever consider bringing in Doug Whaley JUST to scout pro personnel?

I know, the mods will probably end this thread because they think it's a joke, but hear me out: possibly the lone positive thing Bill's fans can agree on about Whaley's tenure was that he was an ace at reclamation projects, pulling guys like Jerry Hughes into the fold for duds like Kelvin Sheppard, just to name one.

Should the Bills bring back Whaley, just as a pro scout? I bet he would work for cheap, too. Hairbrained plot, or stroke of genius? You tell me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to tear it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I know, the mods will probably end this thread because they think it's a joke, but hear me out: possibly the lone positive thing Bill's fans can agree on about Whaley's tenure was that he was an ace at reclamation projects, pulling guys like Jerry Hughes into the fold for duds like Kelvin Sheppard, just to name one.

Should the Bills bring back Whaley, just as a pro scout? I bet he would work for cheap, too. Hairbrained plot, or stroke of genius? You tell me.

It's beyond ridiculous for many reasons on both sides. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I do think Whaley is a good pro scout.  I also think having him at One Bills Drive would be a mistake.  We've moved on.  He's part of an unpleasant past we'd rather all forget.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to year it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Not sure of how you can be so certain of this? What are you basing this on?

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Whaley will have another shot as GM one day. Minus the quarterback he built a very nice roster here. And made some very successful free agent signings and trades. I forget what he’s working now but it wasn’t a bad job at all 

You can't be serious; if he did such a great job he would be a GM now! He failed, lousy drafts, lousy trades, lousy FA signings! He is not working as a GM for a reason, get serious dude!

33 minutes ago, vincec said:

Maybe he can go join Doug Marrone in Jacksonville.

Great post, Marrone will not let DW get anywhere close to Jacksonville!

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Whaley will have another shot as GM one day. Minus the quarterback he built a very nice roster here. And made some very successful free agent signings and trades. I forget what he’s working now but it wasn’t a bad job at all 

Whaley did make some good moves but he made some big risk moves as well that didn't work out. Sammy was a very expensive miss. He also engaged in power struggles which are not healthy. He was better than Donahoe though  ?

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Whaley did make some good moves but he made some big risk moves as well that didn't work out. Sammy was a very expensive miss. He also engaged in power struggles which are not healthy. He was better than Donahoe though  ?

I’d say EJ was a whiff, but lay that on Nix. He rolled the dice on Sammy, and that seemed to miss a character issue. I wonder what things might have looked like if Sammy didn’t have that dirty knee/jump dirty shot to the the ribs in preseason as a rookie. That was pure dirt. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it's for Sr. Bowl or something like that if I remember right.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to year it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Beane is much better at the draft. 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No we aren't. 

It can always get worse. Right now it looks awful. 

If things continue the way they look now it will be interesting to see how they handle the offseason.(assuming they are back) They will need to be extremely aggressive in FA.

Based on what?

Well we got at least three starters last draft. Whaley never produced anything outside of top ten picks and even those ended up being busts.

Edited by billspro