Joe B. - I refuse to put the EJ Manuel pick on Doug Whaley

Take this for what it’s worth.  On the most recent episode of the Bills Beat podcast Joe B and Fairburn get a bit into evaluating McDermott and Beane.  The subject of Whaley comes up.

Many have debated what Whaley’s role was in selecting EJ.  If you remember he was officially named GM after the 2013 draft, though many speculated he took over for Buddy Nix unofficially before then.  So while Buddy was technically GM when the selection was made, many felt it was Whaley’s call.

Joe B isn’t one of them.  He said that he refuses to believe Whaley was involved with the pick.  He thinks EJ was 100% a Buddy Nix move and that Whaley was playing “good soldier” and went along with the pick.  

What that doesnt explain is why Whaley overspent to trade for Sammy Watkins the next year.  It seemed as though that was a result of him trying to justify the selection on EJ.  

Either way, that’s what Joe B thinks

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

Take this for what it’s worth.  On the most recent episode of the Bills Beat podcast Joe B and Fairburn get a bit into evaluating McDermott and Beane.  The subject of Whaley comes up.

Many have debated what Whaley’s role was in selecting EJ.  If you remember he was officially named GM after the 2013 draft, though many speculated he took over for Buddy Nix unofficially before then.  So while Buddy was technically GM when the selection was made, many felt it was Whaley’s call.

Joe B isn’t one of them.  He said that he refuses to believe Whaley was involved with the pick.  He thinks EJ was 100% a Buddy Nix move and that Whaley was playing “good soldier” and went along with the pick.  

What that doesnt explain is why Whaley overspent to trade for Sammy Watkins the next year.  It seemed as though that was a result of him trying to justify the selection on EJ.  

..sounds reasonable...finding a franchise QB was to be Buddy's "last hurrah"...ironically Genome Smith was actually their #1 choice......the gang flew down to interview him and work him out...consensus on the plane ride home was, "um...no thanks".....so the "EJ Era" commenced.....

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nix said he would take a QB before he left, and he was leaving. 

The book was pretty much out on QB’s in 2013.  Buddy basically over drafted a QB in the first round who likely had a 3rd-4th round grade.  One of the many things that infuriated me with Nix as GM.  

He really painted humsef into a corner by not addressing QB sooner.  Just a terrible GM

Edited by FrankReichComeback#14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

The book was pretty much out on QB’s in 2013.  Buddy basically over drafted a QB in the first round who likely had a 3rd-4th round grade.  One of the many things that infuriated me with Nix as GM.  

He really painted humsef into a corner by not addressing QB sooner.  Just a terrible GM

Was he terrible, or was he maybe just sleepy? Gotta get those naps in somehow! Even if you’re at the wheel.....

Just now, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

Of course, but the “who should get blame for EJ” discussion has been debated in the Bills fan base for years

A sad state of affairs. A further indication of how bad the situation in Buffalo has been. 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Was he terrible, or was he maybe just sleepy? Gotta get those naps in somehow! Even if you’re at the wheel.....

....LMAO!......prolly started hibernating mid November when our season was over and got up on draft day at 8:05AM "re-tired" and ready.............

1 hour ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

If you watch the video of the Bills "War Room" during the Sammy trade-up, I have always believed that Russ Brandon had his fingers in that deal somehow.  Whaley was working the phones and looking to Brandon/Overdorf miming the deal with his fingers as though seeking approval.  Afterwards Brandon and Overdorf were just GIDDY, gleeful.  I'm not trying to wash responsibility from Whaley, obviously as GM he needs to shoulder it on his watch.

I just think Brandon was involved in pushing for some kind of marketable "splash" or the like. 

1 hour ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

This is exactly correct. 

Whether or not EJM was Whaley's pick or not....Buddy painted the Bills into a corner by his inaction on the QB front since he took over as GM in 2011.  Levi Brown in the 7th in 2010 and no one else when we had no one established and the previous shot was Trent Edwards in the 2007 3rd - pfffaw.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you watch the video of the Bills "War Room" during the Sammy trade-up, I have always believed that Russ Brandon had his fingers in that deal somehow.  Whaley was working the phones and looking to Brandon/Overdorf miming the deal with his fingers as though seeking approval.  Afterwards Brandon and Overdorf were just GIDDY, gleeful.  I'm not trying to wash responsibility from Whaley, obviously as GM he needs to shoulder it on his watch.

I just think Brandon was involved in pushing for some kind of marketable "splash" or the like. 

This is exactly correct. 

Whether or not EJM was Whaley's pick or not....Buddy painted the Bills into a corner by his inaction on the QB front since he took over as GM in 2011.  Levi Brown in the 7th in 2010 and no one else when we had no one established and the previous shot was Trent Edwards in the 2007 3rd - pfffaw.

I can believe this man.  Unfortunately it seemed like Russ was more heavily involved in football decisions through the time when Rex was hired.  I do think he took a step back around 2015  

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

As always, I look at the bottom line.

Nix owns the drafting of EJ. :bag:

Whaley owns keeping him on the roster for 4 years. :sick:

And wasn't the big rumor that when we we're interviewing people the year Rex was hired that Whaley was supposedly trying to push EJ out there as "the guy"?

In any event even if Buddy made the pick with Whaley kicking and screaming in the background, Whaley did zero to improve upon that pick. Just as accountable imo.