This team needs a real TE

Uncle Joe

So there are a lot of posters saying we need OL, we need WR. I think we need a bonafide OL/WR aka TE.

One that can block, catch and run over DBs.

I believe we started the season with 5 because we don't have one that is in the upper tier:

Clay - over paid in free agency - adequate but doesn't seem to have any nasty after catching the ball (in addition to being oft injured)

Thomas - converted QB experiment

Croom - converted WR experiment

Lee - forte was blocking - now released (for the time being)

O'Leary - release - general consensus, not a game changer

I don't expect any changes this year but it would be nice to address this position next year. Kill a couple birds with one stone (OL/WR) and not use 4 roster spots (prior to today) on this position.

Go Bills.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

What's wrong with watching Charles Clay go through the motions for 5 years and never really being a factor.  That contract is definitely up there as one of the worst.  Can't wait until he is off the team.

We can certainly include TE on the list of needs.  One could make the argument that we have a need for a quality starter at every position on offense, other than maybe LT, QB and FB.  Even at QB, we still need a veteran back-up.

• Like (+1) 1

We need a lot of talent.  Even if these guys hit on all free agents and draft, I still think it could be til 2020 until we have a contender against the likes of KC, Pats, Rams, and Pit.

i do believe in this team, just we are not a couple of players away.  We need several studs over two years and we could become a perennial playoff team.  I hate even thinking about it, but have to be realistic.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We need a lot of talent.  Even if these guys hit on all free agents and draft, I still think it could be til 2020 until we have a contender against the likes of KC, Pats, Rams, and Pit.

i do believe in this team, just we are not a couple of players away.  We need several studs over two years and we could become a perennial playoff team.  I hate even thinking about it, but have to be realistic.

If we end up in the top 3 picks, I am hoping someone likes Lock or Herbert enough to want to come up.  Fortunately the draft is very deep on the defensive line and receiver.  If we were to end up with the first pick we could possibly get a huge haul picking up extra picks in that draft and maybe a future first, while still staying in the top ten.

I like Charles, but he has been a huge disappointment throughout his time in Buffalo. Some could argue that his lack of stats is due to bad quarterbacking, but if you are actually a great player, there is no way that the coaches don't design more plays for you and have your QB rely on you. What's the old saying, a good TE is a quarterback's best friend. Remember early in Jim Kelly's career, Pete Metzelars was his favorite target, he went to him early and often and then eventually the WRs got more involved and started getting more targets than Pete. That has been the story for many QBs. Right now, if Clay or any of the TEs were worth their salt, they should be Josh's go-to guy, until he and the wideouts start gaining more chemistry and the game starts to slow down for him. 

Over his first 3 seasons in Buffalo, Clay is averaging 6 targets, 3 receptions, 34 yards, and 0.1875 TDs per game. So far this year, he's averaging 3.5 targets, 2 receptions, 22 yards, and 0 TDs per game. And it's not like he is a world class blocker either. He's ok, but not why you'd keep him on the team. I agree with the OP, we need a real, all-around TE on this team...but unfortunately, we will probably have to wait until next year. Hopefully there are some good young TEs in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

So there are a lot of posters saying we need OL, we need WR. I think we need a bonafide OL/WR aka TE.

One that can block, catch and run over DBs.

I believe we started the season with 5 because we don't have one that is in the upper tier:

Clay - over paid in free agency - adequate but doesn't seem to have any nasty after catching the ball (in addition to being oft injured)

Thomas - converted QB experiment

Croom - converted WR experiment

Lee - forte was blocking - now released (for the time being)

O'Leary - release - general consensus, not a game changer

I don't expect any changes this year but it would be nice to address this position next year. Kill a couple birds with one stone (OL/WR) and not use 4 roster spots (prior to today) on this position.

Go Bills.

Well Clay was an attempt at that...he was a top 100 player when we paid him.

He has been playing with that injury for years......it is about time to part ways with that

12 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

Bills haven't had a real effective TE since Pete Metzelaars. They have been lousy at addressing the position since forever. Very tired of it IMO. 

...too much stock in the youngsters and O'Leary let go...GAFFE.......too much stock in Peterman and AJ let go...ANOTHER GAFFE.................Cordy Glenn let go and now has started 4 games for Bengals and Dalton only sacked 7 times while our OL is WikiLEAKS...ANOTHER GAFFE...............

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is it after this season that we can move on from Clay without terrible cap ramifications? I bet this is it for him. 

....yup...designate him as a post June 1 cut and spread it over two years IMO.........

Potential Out: 2019, 4 yr, $33,500,000; $4,500,000 dead cap

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

TE - needs upgrade

C-   needs upgrade

LG-  needs upgrade

RG-  needs upgrade

RT-  needs upgrade

WR1-  needs upgrade

WR2  needs upgrade

TE2-  needs upgrade

WR3 -  needs upgrade

DE2-  needs upgrade

OLB  needs upgrade

CB2 -  needs upgrade

CB3-  needs upgrade

Can we see a theme here? Lots of work left to do in 2019.  I'm doing my best to survive through this **** season.

Edited by BillsRdue

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes, and compared to other positions this years TE FAs are looking pretty good.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/tight-end/

Two things shock me here:

1) Something is breaking our way for a change? 

And even more shocking.....

2) Benjamin Watson is still playing? He’s almost as old as Brady, but he actually has to do athletic/physical stuff.

The story of Clay in Buffalo is somewhat are to evaluate.  There’s no doubt the Bills overpaid but that’s what happens in FA, especially with a restricted FA.  

If you look look at his numbers, he’s pretty much on part what he did in Miami.  His receptions and yardage are down a little but not by much.

I think the Bills gave a slightly above average TE money that you’d pay an All-Pro TE.  

In defense of Clay he has never gotten solid QB play or the number of targets that other TE’s have.  In Tyrod, he had a QB that was not good throwing over the middle which is where more TE’s make their living.  

Also Clay fought through some injuries which affected his numbers.  

I agree that the Bills could use an upgrade at TE.  I’m 50/50 on whether Clay will be back in 2019.