Bowl Projections: The Potential Fallout from a Notre Dame Playoff Push

YoloinOhio

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/10/01/bowl-projections-schedule-matchups-playoff-rankings

As you may have heard, Notre Dame is 5–0and squarely in the playoff conversation as the calendar turns to October, and unlike many of the teams above them, the Fighting Irish don’t see a sharp uptick in the difficulty of their schedule in the coming weeks. Survive Saturday night in Blacksburg, and Notre Dame’s biggest remaining tests could be a road trip to Northwestern and a neutral-site game against Syracuse. Of course, if the Irish are in the top four, another power conference gets squeezed out

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic, Arlington, Texas (Dec. 29, 4 p.m. or 8 p.m. ET, ESPN)
CFP semifinalist vs. CFP semifinalist
Alabama vs. Notre Dame

Capital One Orange Bowl, Miami Gardens, Fla. (Dec. 29, 4 p.m. or 8 p.m. ET, ESPN)
CFP semifinalist vs. CFP semifinalist
Ohio State vs. Oklahoma

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, row_33 said:

They’ve been waiting for ND to get a key shot at the Playoff, I will be watching their games until they lose

I wish there were enough words to tell you how much I wish that the Crimson Tide would face Notre Dame in the playoffs (assuming that we make them).

It would make the last time the 2 teams met for the title look like a nail biter.

If it happens, it would probably be a good idea for you to not watch.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Notre Dame 5 Alabama 2 so far....

bowl games it’s ND 2-1

they will play in 2028 and 2029....

Different world with Coach Saban, wouldn't you say? The Alabama 2nd team would probably destroy Notre Dame this season, and;  I am not even going to make a prediction that the Tide will win it all. Anything can happen.

Still, I do urge you to stay away from the TV if those teams do meet in the playoffs. I don't want you to suffer that kind of extreme pain. There is no real reason to put yourself through such torment.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don’t cheer for any team, I just want to see good games.

mostly I watch B1G games, went to almost 100 of them from 98 to 12

PAC 12 is not going to provide an undefeated champion, so that’s one Power down.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

I don’t cheer for any team, I just want to see good games.

mostly I watch B1G games, went to almost 100 of them from 98 to 12

PAC 12 is not going to provide an undefeated champion, so that’s one Power down.

Clemson and Notre Dame have schedules that are soft. It is hard for me to tell good these teams are. They could very likely coast to undefeated seasons, leaving only 2 spots and making things tough for the Big 10 and SEC teams.

24 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Clemson and Notre Dame have schedules that are soft. It is hard for me to tell good these teams are. They could very likely coast to undefeated seasons, leaving only 2 spots and making things tough for the Big 10 and SEC teams.

Irish have won 2 national interest games, as already noted in the thread

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Irish have won 2 national interest games, as already noted in the thread

You sure are critical of Alabama's schedule. Although Notre Dame did defeat Michigan and Stanford, they squeaked out wins against the likes of Ball State and Vanderbilt. I'm not sure how good Michigan and Stanford are, but I'm pretty sure that they are not as good as Auburn, LSU, and Georgia.

Maybe ND is as good as you seem to believe. I don't know but as I said, I do hope that Alabama makes the playoffs and faces them.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You sure are critical of Alabama's schedule. Although Notre Dame did defeat Michigan and Stanford, they squeaked out wins against the likes of Ball State and Vanderbilt. I'm not sure how good Michigan and Stanford are, but I'm pretty sure that they are not as good as Auburn, LSU, and Georgia.

Maybe ND is as good as you seem to believe. I don't know but as I said, I do hope that Alabama makes the playoffs and faces them.

Bama won’t see a good team until LSU

i don’t think anyone is doubting Bama is one of the best teams this year, they will have a few challenges up ahead to prove it

i accept that Bama has been handed Cupcake City until LSU, I don’t understand how people celebrate running up the score on hopelessly outmatched cupcakes, all the time screaming in delirious joy like it’s a Beatles concert.

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

Bama won’t see a good team until LSU

i don’t think anyone is doubting Bama is one of the best teams this year, they will have a few challenges up ahead to prove it

i accept that Bama has been handed Cupcake City until LSU, I don’t understand how people celebrate running up the score on hopelessly outmatched cupcakes, all the time screaming in delirious joy like it’s a Beatles concert.

Still think Texas A&M is a "cupcake" game?

Are you sure Notre Dame could handle them?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

irish  looked really good last night 

Yup, like a previous poster stated unless something stupid happens they should be in the playoff. I’m still impressed they beat Stanford, and VaTech in back to back weeks, and the fashion they did it in. The QB switch has taken this team to another level. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Still think Texas A&M is a "cupcake" game?

Are you sure Notre Dame could handle them?

Remind me of A&Ms accomplishments since I started watching in 1973????

i will wait for your answer outlining the glory of Aggies football.......

5 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Yup, like a previous poster stated unless something stupid happens they should be in the playoff. I’m still impressed they beat Stanford, and VaTech in back to back weeks, and the fashion they did it in. The QB switch has taken this team to another level. 

Three very impressive wins on national TV over a good opponent.

Classic trivia last night showing the Hokies are 2-35 against real opponents, with Wisconsin another flop with the same level of uselessness.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why but I've read if UB is in the MAC Championship they won't go to the Bahamas Bowl. (Although it's an awfully nice bowl location. Beats Boise.)

I already plan to fly to Detroit for the MACC assuming Buffalo qualifies. (Gotta beat Miami OH and Ohio to clinch.) If a UB bowl game is in a location within reasonable travel (Florida, Texas, Mobile I could get to via Atlanta,) I'll likely go there too.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.