Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado?

6 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

El Camino/Ranchero?

they don't make those anymore.   That's more of a hybrid IDK what those are, they've got a bed...so kind of a truck.   but they're low to the ground, and it's a unibody.   and they're 2 door.    It's more of an abomination than anything. 

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think in Canada it went into law that all new vehicles have backup cameras standard. They are nice but they ruin you. I use mine with the sensors that beep if I get close, but if I drive one without I find myself forgetting I dont have it.

As for the Nav, a buddy of mine bought a full size Chevy and they were looking for an extra $800-1000 for it, which is basically installing a chip/module or activating something in the screen. He found that he could use his android smartphone and Google maps on his dash screen for nav and it's more up to date and better then what GM gives you.

100% true.

This is standard issue for trucks especially.  In my truck it is fully loaded. If didn't have the thermostatic heater for the motor core package. After research I found all Ford 250's and 350's have this and though it is a $170 option you're better off not worrying if it's included and simply but the cord aftermarket for $20 and running it like I did.  There is also the instake system that is an easy upgrade vs what they offer, as well as the off road features, tow packages etc.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

El Camino/Ranchero?

I wish they'd bring it back.  Don't forget the Subaru Brat.  ?

FWIW the Avalanche and Suburban were built on the same platform.  Truck was deceptively useful.  Without protrouding wheel wells and the collapsable mid-gate, you could haul absolutely anything.  

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I wish they'd bring it back.  Don't forget the Subaru Brat.  ?

FWIW the Avalanche and Suburban were built on the same platform.  Truck was deceptively useful.  Without protrouding wheel wells and the collapsable mid-gate, you could haul absolutely anything.  

The Subaru Baja was a 4 door brat they made from 2003-2006 and I loved those little things.  Always wanted one.   

32 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

The Subaru Baja was a 4 door brat they made from 2003-2006 and I loved those little things.  Always wanted one.   

+1.  NOT the size of the wand, but magic in it!

Betcha it could run circles around @BringBackFergy over compensation of his... Well, you know what. Run circles all day an night.

I'd take a Audi, Subaru, et al rally car before a big truck that gets stuck.

Some Guys have to over compensate for what they lack... So if you don't rate, just overcompensate and go with big truck!

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/4/2018 at 5:53 AM, Soda Popinski said:

Get the Tacoma.    You can drive it for 3 years then sell it for what you paid for it.   Nothing holds its value in the automotive world like a Tacoma.   

I've got a buddy with a colorado, was having intermittent issues with what they thought were fuel additives (he added none) turns out his torque converter went bad.   Under warranty so no big deal, but I'd go with the Taco because they never seem to have issues, and I believe the oil filter is mounted up top by the radiator, easy access.   

Amen to that...A buddy of mine, driving along the coast swerved to avoid a deer (instinct) and went down a cliff toward the Pacific. A rock stopped him 100ft down. He paid $24k for it a few years ago...insurance company gave him $21k. Turned around and bought a new one for that same amount. 

My daughter went thru a truck phase a couple years back, bought a 05 Tacoma. That thing was still quite pricey. Definitely hold their value. 

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

That one gained cult status.

I wonder if Subaru will remake it, considering the resurgence of the small truck market. If they put a nice turbo 4 in it and clean styling, they could have an instant hit.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That one gained cult status.

I wonder if Subaru will remake it, considering the resurgence of the small truck market. If they put a nice turbo 4 in it and clean styling, they could have an instant hit.

I was more a fan of the naturally aspirated one because you could tow a small boat behind it but when not towing you're getting 28mpg.    Seemed like the perfect hauler for stand up paddle boards or kayaks or a small flats boat.   All wheel drive, that little bed for coolers and gear.   

On 10/4/2018 at 10:17 AM, Pete said:

If I was a billionaire I would drive a manual diesel Tacoma.

It's called a Hilux and they're about $30k. 

OP: You want a real truck, get a Ford w/ a 7.3l Powerstroke. Mine has 350,000 miles on it and it's not even broken in yet. Changed the clutch once, the water pump once, and wheel bearing. That's it. Also diesel will be cheaper than gas again soon, plus you can run it on veggie oil. 

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There is literally no reason to buy a truck if you aren't getting a 4x4.

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's called a Hilux and they're about $30k. 

OP: You want a real truck, get a Ford w/ a 7.3l Powerstroke. Mine has 350,000 miles on it and it's not even broken in yet. Changed the clutch once, the water pump once, and wheel bearing. That's it. Also diesel will be cheaper than gas again soon, plus you can run it on veggie oil. 

There is literally no reason to buy a truck if you aren't getting a 4x4.

Not true.  It still provides convenience that I’ll need.

13 hours ago, mead107 said:

????????

I have to spend $721.00 a month for child support and alimony.  I have to budget Mr. Ferguson.

• Sad 1

I used to sell Toyota vehicles when I lived in Florida. 

Ive sold numerous different makes of cars/trucks/motorcycles etc. 

The two I would recommend most highly and without any hesitation - Toyota and Honda. 

Both are high quality and build to last. If you take care of them properly and do the maintenance, they can last you forever. I had a customer that used to come into the dealership. He had a Honda with well over 300,000 miles on it and it still ran perfectly. 

I dont know that I would buy a new American made car, to be perfectly honest. 

39 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I used to sell Toyota vehicles when I lived in Florida. 

Ive sold numerous different makes of cars/trucks/motorcycles etc. 

The two I would recommend most highly and without any hesitation - Toyota and Honda. 

Both are high quality and build to last. If you take care of them properly and do the maintenance, they can last you forever. I had a customer that used to come into the dealership. He had a Honda with well over 300,000 miles on it and it still ran perfectly. 

I dont know that I would buy a new American made car, to be perfectly honest. 

My dad says the same thing.  When I told him I’m thinking about buying a Colorado, he got pissed.  He drives a 2013 Tacoma.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My dad says the same thing.  When I told him I’m thinking about buying a Colorado, he got pissed.  He drives a 2013 Tacoma.

Weird thing to be pissed about. If American makes do one thing right, it's trucks.

I'm pretty sure the previous model Colorados got the same dependability rating from JD Power that the Toyotas and Nissans did. And I still see plenty of those trucks around town. Be careful about being too biased.

IMO, the Honda is your best option for dependability. It sits on the same frame as the Honda Pilot, but its reinforced and has a beefier suspension system. That thing will last forever, especially since you'll only be using it lightly.

IMO, the Nissan is your best option for value. Quality truck for a much lower price.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Weird thing to be pissed about. If American makes do one thing right, it's trucks.

I'm pretty sure the previous model Colorados got the same dependability rating from JD Power that the Toyotas and Nissans did. And I still see plenty of those trucks around town. Be careful about being too biased.

IMO, the Honda is your best option for dependability. It sits on the same frame as the Honda Pilot, but its reinforced and has a beefier suspension system. That thing will last forever, especially since you'll only be using it lightly.

IMO, the Nissan is your best option for value. Quality truck for a much lower price.

The Honda truck lasts because no one who owns one uses it as a truck. The box carries their golf clubs or luggage.

You see plenty of Colorado's and Canyons around because they were cheap and sold alot of them.

I drive one at work that I believe is a first gen model and I can say driving it, it feels cheap and basic. For a work truck or something your gonna beat on and use for work it's not bad, it would be one i wouldn't care about denting or scratching. For an occasional worker but mostly a Daily Driver truck, the Toyota and Nissan are nicer to drive I find

Nissans are affordable for what you get but the problem that even the dealer said when i bought it, most people dont think Nissan for those trucks so they dont have the same resale as the Toyotas that people want cause of the reputation. The Nissans also haven't really been redesigned or updated in a long time. That can be nice cause parts can be easier to find if the truck hasnt changed much in 10+ years

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Honda truck lasts because no one who owns one uses it as a truck. The box carries their golf clubs or luggage.

Well, yeah....that's basically what the OP is using it for, too. It's a beefed up Honda Pilot with a bed. Gonna last forever.

By all accounts, the new Colorados have a nice build quality and ride. I see tons of S-10s still around too. Sure they were cheap, but the point is that they last. I don't think there's any issue with reliability.  The resale is the only true advantage for the Toyotas, I think. It's pretty amazing that they've established such a dominating reputation, even as the new model was introduced with rear drum brakes, which is unheard of these days.