Bills claim DT Jordan Phillips

JoeF

An interesting acquisition.  OK, he's not been a great teammate in Miami.  I'd like to know a little more about why.  He was drafted in the second round, but even then, he was described as a first round talent.  He didn't like being in Miami.  I don't know if there is anything McDermott can do to unlock the potential of Phillips, but the potential is there to make a team want to try.  The Bills are not depending on Phillips to be a starter.  He's a rotational guy.  Given limited role they will be asking of him and the limited cost it's probably worth taking a chance on him.  The Bills have a pretty good lockerroom right now.  If Phillips is not a cancer, he could be well worth it.

6 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Sign A freakin WR!!!!! What the hell is wrong with this regime?!?!?! You trade up for this Stud QB and give him no line and WR's?!?!? What a clown show. But that's right culture matters over talent. SMH....

Are you not entertained? 

This move tells me that McDermott may just be humble enough to accept that in order for him to build that culture he so desperately craves, he's going to have to deal with some guys who aren't perfect.

In business, whether it be the NFL, IBM, or Belle Tire, you either adapt or die.

I like the move quite a bit symbolically. Maybe they're finally catching on.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This move tells me that McDermott may just be humble enough to accept that in order for him to build that culture he so desperately craves, he's going to have to deal with some guys who aren't perfect.

In business, whether it be the NFL, IBM, or Belle Tire, you either adapt or die.

I like the move quite a bit symbolically. Maybe they're finally catching on.

I honestly dont understand where you are coming from with this.....Kelvin B. is a lazy not performing malcontent with a big mouth and McD keeps trotting him out there.......

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I honestly dont understand where you are coming from with this.....Kelvin B. is a lazy not performing malcontent with a big mouth and McD keeps trotting him out there.......

I'm a Tigers fan and speaking on their run of success, Jim Leyland noted that the team lacked a "dirtbag." He ascribed to the theory that having such a player was necessary for ultimate success. I think that's why a team among the best in baseball for 10 years never got a ring.

That theory is even more valid in football than baseball. When this team allowed Tre White to be assaulted by Gronkowski, I knew there was a serious "culture" problem. 

I like to think McD has learned that he's gonna need some dirtbags.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm a Tigers fan and speaking on their run of success, Jim Leyland noted that the team lacked a "dirtbag." He ascribed to the theory that having such a player was necessary for ultimate success. I think that's why a team among the best in baseball for 10 years never got a ring.

That theory is even more valid in football than baseball. When this team allowed Tre White to be assaulted by Gronkowski, I knew there was a serious "culture" problem. 

I like to think McD has learned that he's gonna need some dirtbags.

guess where the main culprit of watching White get ambushed is......

Playing for another team

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

An interesting acquisition.  OK, he's not been a great teammate in Miami.  I'd like to know a little more about why.  He was drafted in the second round, but even then, he was described as a first round talent.  He didn't like being in Miami.  I don't know if there is anything McDermott can do to unlock the potential of Phillips, but the potential is there to make a team want to try.  The Bills are not depending on Phillips to be a starter.  He's a rotational guy.  Given limited role they will be asking of him and the limited cost it's probably worth taking a chance on him.  The Bills have a pretty good lockerroom right now.  If Phillips is not a cancer, he could be well worth it.

with the impending retirement of the meatball.....a DT diamond from the garbage heap would be most welcome.....the guy has NT size but he moves really well.......

9 hours ago, JoeF said:

Bills have claimed Jordan Phillips who was waived by the Dolphins after a sideline temper tantrum on Sunday.

https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/events/sports/football/breaking-miami-dolphins-releasing-jordan-phillips-after-sideline-tantrum/M9rdRHeGMlqZgpLYf8zhdK/

Hey, he's not process !!

9 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Sign A freakin WR!!!!! What the hell is wrong with this regime?!?!?! You trade up for this Stud QB and give him no line and WR's?!?!? What a clown show. But that's right culture matters over talent. SMH....

relax Schopp, were getting that this spring. This year is all about getting the top pick, last year was to get the process rooted.

9 hours ago, billspro said:

I love that we are improving the D but when do we start adding to the other side of the ball?

This spring.

http://www.draftblaster.com/2019-nfl-draft/david-sills-v-wr-west-virginia/

While people can justifiably complain about not getting O-Line or WR help, at the end of the day, you have to pick up guys as and when they become available.

Swapping out a JAG DT, for a 2nd Round DT, who can play, is mostly a no-brainer.

This is a move born of opportunity, rather than one of need, and I don't think complaints about it are justified tbh.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

My take: 

He’s better than Robert Thomas who he’s replacing 

He has potentially useful info on Miami 

It is NFL team protocol for players signed off other squads after the start of the new season to be interviewed by the team and to make notes of any pertinent info that might help them with their info gathering on that squad,...totally normal, and every team does it. Some guys will go as much as to even try and give them every play and basically everything they a can remember from the play book before they forget.

11 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Who? "Anybody"? That's who we have now. There's nothing out there until the next FA period starts.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JoeF said:

Culture trumps strategy except on the D-line maybe?  ?

It isn't like they have guaranteed he'll be on the team for the next three years. He gets pretty much the veteran minimum and a shot to show he can display enough character. If he can't, they don't lose anything if they cut him.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...check that...week 18...playoffs......get it right.....can play WR but a tad on the heavy side...............

But once he gets position on the defender they have no hope of reaching in or around to knock the ball out ;) 

Wow 6'6" 340 lbs and he is from Tonawanda........Kansas ;) 

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

My take: 

He’s better than Robert Thomas who he’s replacing 

He has potentially useful info on Miami 

He may be able to help with the flight plan so they don't land in Tennessee ;)

Edited by JMF2006

3 hours ago, Buddo said:

While people can justifiably complain about not getting O-Line or WR help, at the end of the day, you have to pick up guys as and when they become available.

Swapping out a JAG DT, for a 2nd Round DT, who can play, is mostly a no-brainer.

This is a move born of opportunity, rather than one of need, and I don't think complaints about it are justified tbh.

This! 

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Who? "Anybody"? That's who we have now. There's nothing out there until the next FA period starts.

everybody's crying about receivers....they cut oleary,  kerley,  streater,  reilly and coleman (so i wouldn't hold my breath on trades).....and we are depending on kb,  jones,  holmes and foster.

omg, now that i just thought about that, i threw up a little in my mouth....ugggh.  it's gonna be a long, long year.