Bills claim DT Jordan Phillips

JoeF

From Bills Today:

1 - Jordan Phillips displays infectious energy in Bills debut

Defensive tackle Jordan Phillips made his Bills debut in Week 5, and he was incredibly excited to do so.

Phillips, whom the Bills claimed off of waivers last Wednesday, was enthusiastic throughout much of Sunday’s contest. The 25-year-old interacted with the crowd on a number of occasions; often jumping up and down before and after plays in an effort to raise their noise level. After the game, Phillips ran to the crowd and celebrated with the fans.

While hyping up the crowd is something that Philips likes to do every game, he admitted that the Buffalo crowd was unlike anything he’s ever seen before.

“That’s something I always try to do, I try to get the crowd involved,” Phillips said. “Home games, you don’t get crowds like that. You’ve got to get them involved. It helps us on the pass rush, helps the defense get going. They can’t make as many calls, can’t hard count us. So [when] the crowd’s in it, it’s great for the defense.”

Phillips played well in Buffalo’s win over the Titans, totaling three tackles and one pass deflection. Though Phillips didn’t dominate the stat sheet, his infectious energy had an impact on Buffalo’s defense, an impact that can’t be found in the box score.

“Just his energy, man, it influenced a lot of people,” Edmunds said of Phillips. “It made a lot of people around him get hyped too, so his energy, everyone fed off of it.”
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I made a special effort to watch Star because he seems to be an invisible player. There is a reason for his invisibility: he is swallowing up two defenders and holding up the middle of the line. He's Edmond's best friend by keeping blockers off of him and allowing him to run to the ball. 

Star's role is relatively simple: Occupy blockers and hold the line of scrimmage. It's not a role easily measured by stats. It's a tough role and a critical role. The bottom line is that he was a good pickup.   

I thought Star was outstanding yesterday.  Definitely doing his job, although the stat sheet will show he was in on one tackle I believe.  

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I thought Star was outstanding yesterday.  Definitely doing his job, although the stat sheet will show he was in on one tackle I believe.  

Obviously, McDermott's background is on the defensive side of the ball. What he is good at is getting the right players and fitting them together. The Poyer, Hyde, drafting of White, Milano, Edmunds all demonstrate that. It's not just collecting talent as it is getting players to play within their roles. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

Ditto .. Star did his job well against the Titans..

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sounds like a pretty laid back guy who marches to the beat of his own drummer.

He is not nearly as talented as Mr. Big Stuff, but I wish we had seen the energy from Dareus we saw from Phillips yesterday.  There was a real passion in his play and he is nimble.  This was a good dumpster dive....like a dumpster at Ruth's Chris or something.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

What the heck is going on in Miami? They shed talent like there's no tomorrow and Gase seems thrilled when he does it. 

He didn't get into any details, but said the incident from a couple of weeks ago was the final straw.  He didn't sound unhappy at all to be gone from there. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He didn't get into any details, but said the incident from a couple of weeks ago was the final straw.  He didn't sound unhappy at all to be gone from there. 

The beat goes on down there - Suh, Ajayi, Landry. I honestly think that Suh was one of the best players in the league when he was in Miami. They weren't losing because of him, and he always looked unblockable when I watched him.

Also, read the bit about Landry in Peter King's column today: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/nfl-week-5-cleveland-browns-fmia-peter-king/.

'There’s something else I like about this team. It’s something Jarvis Landry brought from Miami. When the Browns did “Hard Knocks” this summer, the most memorable scene was Landry, new to the team this year, lighting up the receivers room. He was ticked off (putting it mildly) at the effort and practice habits of the team’s young receivers, and he stood in front of the room and said:

“If your hamstring ain’t fallin’ off the bone, if your leg ain’t broke, you should be practicing! Straight up. It’s weakness. It’s contagious as f—! … It’s over with here, bro! If you’re not hurt, you gotta f—ing practice! That ain’t happenin’ here! That don’t exist! … It’s contagious. It’s contagious.

Coming from one of the highest-paid receivers in the league, that tirade got noticed.

“My heart was full,” Landry said. “I had no idea it would be as big as it turned out to be. But I was just trying to state the truth and wake some guys up.”

Landry thought for a minute. “With me,” he said, “what it comes down is I hate losing more than I love winning. I love football, and I just hate to lose.”

When the Browns tied Pittsburgh on opening day, Landry thought some players were a little happy to not lose. “There’s nothing to celebrate!” he yelled. “We work too hard to tie!”

On the first drive of overtime, Landry stuck his head in the offensive huddle and said, “It’s just us. Calls ain’t gonna go our way. Can’t worry about that. Just play.”

After the game, in the raucous Cleveland locker room, Dorsey found Landry. The GM loves this firebrand wideout because of the example he sets and the ethos he brings to practice and games. Dorsey smiled at Landry. “Hey!” Dorsey said. “It ain’t always gonna be easy.”

Edited by dave mcbride

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They play different positions. Star is holding blocks, Phillips is rushing the passer. He's a 3 tech built like a 1 tech.

It's nice when we can differentiate beyond just a "DT" - our middle rotation needs both JPhillips and Star for those exact reasons. 

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

MOAR Fish on the market. He’s underwhelming and always hurt but talented and better than who we have ... no way Gase trades in the division though I’m guessing 

Depends on what we'd have to give up - I'd almost rather attempt a pick at one of the top WR in this year's class and develop a corps internally. Match the pick with an FA signing and we will be a right sight better here.

What would make my day is if KB finds his hands again, and Zay becomes more of the reliable WR we've seen the past two games. And the above happens. 

8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

It's nice when we can differentiate beyond just a "DT" - our middle rotation needs both JPhillips and Star for those exact reasons. 

Depends on what we'd have to give up - I'd almost rather attempt a pick at one of the top WR in this year's class and develop a corps internally. Match the pick with an FA signing and we will be a right sight better here.

What would make my day is if KB finds his hands again, and Zay becomes more of the reliable WR we've seen the past two games. And the above happens. 

The FA class is meh but they should sign at least one. Ideally they should trade for one (since FA is meh ... plus Buffalo is not an attractive FA spot for a WR ...plus they have to do everything they can to get someone decent) , sign one in FA (#2 or 3 type) and draft one. Overhaul the WR group completely and keep maybe just Zay and Ray Ray for next year. They still have some potential.

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The FA class is meh but they should sign at least one. Ideally they should trade for one (since FA is meh ... plus Buffalo is not an attractive FA spot for a WR ...plus they have to do everything they can to get someone decent) , sign one in FA (#2 or 3 type) and draft one. Overhaul the WR group completely and keep maybe just Zay and Ray Ray for next year. They still have some potential.

I've been meaning to look at the FA class but there are likely a few names to bid for that would be a marked improvement over our current corps. We also have the money to compensate for a lackluster destination of WRs, though we shouldn't overspend it either. I think we should also hold onto as many as we can until we figure out who fits best and where. 

Regardless of KB's play however, if he goes we'll need to supplement the corps with more size.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — When he was finished ripping through the Titans’ offensive line, pumping up the crowd at New Era Field and dancing around the field, Jordan Phillips scrolled through his phone and smiled.

Phillips briefly stepped aside from celebrating a 13-12 win with his new Buffalo Bills teammates and took a peek at his Twitter. It was flooded with supportive messages from Bills fans. He started to retweet them.

On Tuesday, the Dolphins released Phillips after drafting him in the second round of the 2015 NFL Draft. The Bills claimed him on Wednesday and worked to get him up to speed. By Sunday, Phillips was acclimated enough to play 31 percent of the Bills’ defensive snaps and record three tackles and a pass defended.

“It was amazing honestly,” Phillips said. “To come out and be accepted and the first thing they say is be yourself when you get here. That’s all I needed to hear. It was great.”

Phillips had a rocky ending to his time in Miami, including a sideline argument with coaches days before his release. He said that wasn’t the reason he was let go, but rather the final example of a poor fit.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

I made a special effort to watch Star because he seems to be an invisible player. There is a reason for his invisibility: he is swallowing up two defenders and holding up the middle of the line. He's Edmond's best friend by keeping blockers off of him and allowing him to run to the ball. 

Star's role is relatively simple: Occupy blockers and hold the line of scrimmage. It's not a role easily measured by stats. It's a tough role and a critical role. The bottom line is that he was a good pickup.   

yep i watch him as in spurts. he actually got some push a couple times.

against two blockers. nearly always two blockers so far this season.

not bad when you see two on Kyle and two on Star  same play !
and yes Phillips was having some fun out there.

I like him so far