Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I've heard it's pretty much a done deal we're getting him. Hopefully he fits in well but I'm more nervous about the PG position at this point as it's starting to sound more and more like Judah is gone.

welp, he’s committed which is huge.  Does he have a significant injury history?  Keep reading that online.

• Agree 1

FWIW, seems like Judah had a relatively disappointing first day at the NBA Combine. Measured as one of the smallest players in terms of wingspan and weight and was below-average in the shooting drills. Had a few good athleticism scores though, including one of the top 5 fastest lane agility times in the last 5 years. He's going to want to kick ass in the scrimmages and team workouts to solidify his draft position.

Edited by DCOrange

I haven't heard anything personally, but I've heard from a couple people that do have sources with the Syracuse staff. One said the staff thinks it's 50/50 on Judah coming back at this point. The other said the staff is expecting him back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, DCOrange said:

FWIW, seems like Judah had a relatively disappointing first day at the NBA Combine. Measured as one of the smallest players in terms of wingspan and weight and was below-average in the shooting drills. Had a few good athleticism scores though, including one of the top 5 fastest lane agility times in the last 5 years. He's going to want to kick ass in the scrimmages and team workouts to solidify his draft position.

I don’t think he will be drafted 

maybe late 2nd

he should return 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea it’s really outta left field … I wonder if they think Judah is going pro …

coming off an injury but good depth 

I’ve been reading that Mintz is looking good at the combine. Good for him, I guess. But I am still not convinced he will Be better than a late 2nd round pick. Really should stay. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I’ve been reading that Mintz is looking good at the combine. Good for him, I guess. But I am still not convinced he will Be better than a late 2nd round pick. Really should stay. 

The actual combine games are either gonna get him drafted top 40 or show what he needs to work on

i heard he did not shoot it well In drills which is what teams want but he has a lot of other skills as we know 

they want to see him shoot better 

Still probably only a second rounder

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Elijah Moore had a great week at the jam fest

He is garnering a reputation as the premier marksman in the class of 24

I know that a couple of you guys have some "inside" info on Cuse bball, curious about something...It really seems like once Jimmy B. left our recruiting gets/interest/buzz picked up big time.  Was he holding recruiting back the last few years?  Did getting him out of the equation really change that much for Red and the boys?  Either way it is a great thing, but would love to know if there was a dynamic there towards the end.

1 hour ago, nemhoff said:

I know that a couple of you guys have some "inside" info on Cuse bball, curious about something...It really seems like once Jimmy B. left our recruiting gets/interest/buzz picked up big time.  Was he holding recruiting back the last few years?  Did getting him out of the equation really change that much for Red and the boys?  Either way it is a great thing, but would love to know if there was a dynamic there towards the end.

It was a difficult dynamic …

ofc There were recruits who really wanted to play for the legend… but not every 18 year old can take his hard coaching style 

it seems like recruits were torn between wanting to play for him but wanting a 4 year commitment… or just over the old school hard Knox coach 

There is definitely a fresh buzz now… it was time 

On 5/29/2023 at 1:11 PM, nemhoff said:

The short answer is yes.

1. He just didn't put in the same level of effort that Red is putting in and there was only so much Red/GMac could do as the assistant coaches. Recruits want to see the head coach and when they're getting recruited by 10 schools and 9 of them are sending their HC out to meet with them and the 10th is sending an assistant...it just doesn't look good.
  2. Other schools told recruits they didn't know who they'd actually play for at Syracuse and it worked; kids don't want to go to a school and then find out the coach is gone and they may no longer be wanted.
  3. Boeheim vetoed some recruits that Red/GMac had worked and had ready to commit.

Point #2 isn't really Boeheim's fault; just kinda natural when you get up there in age. #1 is pretty much inexcusable. #3 depends on the reasons involved.

I think it also helps that Red and the new assistant are extremely connected in the DMV and that's where we got guys like Freeman to suddenly be a lot more interested in Syracuse.

Today is the day for the Judah Mintz decision; seems like everything has gone dark and nobody knows what he's thinking right now. My own speculation is that he's probably holding out hope that he'll get a team give him some good news before the deadline...I think he's probably looking for any reason to stay in the draft, but selfishly hoping he comes back to school (mainly because I want us to be good, but also because I think he's one of the rare Syracuse early entries where he could improve his draft stock by returning).

Edited by DCOrange

38 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The short answer is yes.

1. He just didn't put in the same level of effort that Red is putting in and there was only so much Red/GMac could do as the assistant coaches. Recruits want to see the head coach and when they're getting recruited by 10 schools and 9 of them are sending their HC out to meet with them and the 10th is sending an assistant...it just doesn't look good.
  2. Other schools told recruits they didn't know who they'd actually play for at Syracuse and it worked; kids don't want to go to a school and then find out the coach is gone and they may no longer be wanted.
  3. Boeheim vetoed some recruits that Red/GMac had worked and had ready to commit.

Point #2 isn't really Boeheim's fault; just kinda natural when you get up there in age. #1 is pretty much inexcusable. #3 depends on the reasons involved.

I think it also helps that Red and the new assistant are extremely connected in the DMV and that's where we got guys like Freeman to suddenly be a lot more interested in Syracuse.

Today is the day for the Judah Mintz decision; seems like everything has gone dark and nobody knows what he's thinking right now. My own speculation is that he's probably holding out hope that he'll get a team give him some good news before the deadline...I think he's probably looking for any reason to stay in the draft, but selfishly hoping he comes back to school (mainly because I want us to be good, but also because I think he's one of the rare Syracuse early entries where he could improve his draft stock by returning).

I read some article online where Mintz was talking with some hornets beat reporters and couldn’t help but thinking from the quotes that he is 100% gone. Hope I am wrong! 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I read some article online where Mintz was talking with some hornets beat reporters and couldn’t help but thinking from the quotes that he is 100% gone. Hope I am wrong! 

To be fair, it makes perfect sense that he'd be putting that out into the public right now. He wants to stay in the draft if at all possible so it makes sense that he's at least projecting that he's all in on it.

But yeah, I'm kinda back to assuming he's gone and if he returns, it'll be a lovely surprise.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The short answer is yes.

This is good insight, Thanks DC.  Judah should stay.  I can't remember the last SU player that had fringe draft talent that stayed for another year.  If he could improve his jumper he would be lottery next year.