Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

I feel like the zone is bad for recruiting the more “high profile” prospects.  Am I off in my assumption?  I feel like the big 5* guys with clear pro aspirations want to go to a program that plays man defense.

I also feel like the better teams of today have multiple outstanding outside shooters which of course is the Kryptonite of the 2-3 zone…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I feel like the zone is bad for recruiting the more “high profile” prospects.  Am I off in my assumption?  I feel like the big 5* guys with clear pro aspirations want to go to a program that plays man defense.

I also feel like the better teams of today have multiple outstanding outside shooters which of course is the Kryptonite of the 2-3 zone…

Yes it’s tougher to get top 15 kids because they have 1 and done aspirations… top 10 pick aspirations 

and NBA scouts hate the zone and wants to see sticky man.. which no SU player puts on film

and yes great shooting has made the zone tougher to be great …. But I still go back to the great defensive teams in the past… Always trapping in the short corner… Hands-up, Flying around the court..

I just haven’t seen that tenacity recently

Edited by Buffalo716

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes it’s tougher to get top 15 kids because they have 1 and done aspirations… top 10 pick aspirations 

and NBA scouts hate the zone and wants to see sticky man.. which no SU player puts on film

and yes great shooting has made the zone tougher to be great …. But I still go back to the great defensive teams in the past… Always trapping in the short corner… Hands-up, Flying around the court..

I just haven’t seen that tenacity recently

We shall see, and I hear your points.  A little birdie told me to expect man defense next season though. 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

We shall see, and I hear your points.  A little birdie told me to expect man defense next season though. 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️

I’ve heard it too

But I’ve also heard it in the past… but yes 

I think a sticky man defense… That occasionally drops into the zone would be ideal 

we have the athletes

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

So, if SU gets into the NIT, Autry will be coaching? 

Syracuse has no chance at making the NIT anyways. They won't make the CBI either. The season is over; Syracuse is just focusing on trying to get their players to return/reaching out to people in the transfer portal.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:42 PM, Your Brown Eye said:

Let's see if Autry can rejuvenate the program

That’s what I’m curious about. I’m not in the SU basketball loop to the extent of some other folks on this board, so I’d be curious to know their thoughts. Is the era of Syracuse as an elite basketball program over? I’ve always seen Boeheim as being Syracuse, and don’t view Syracuse as the easiest place to recruit players these days. 

On 3/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think there is probably a lot of truth to this regarding recruiting. If you are a 5 Star high school QB, you don’t pick a college that runs a gimmicky or run first offense. You want to be prepared for the next level, and look at programs that will showcase you and set you up for $ucce$$. 

EDIT: I have no idea what happened, but that was one strange interview and it left a lot of people wondering.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s what I’m curious about. I’m not in the SU basketball loop to the extent of some other folks on this board, so I’d be curious to know their thoughts. Is the era of Syracuse as an elite basketball program over? I’ve always seen Boeheim as being Syracuse, and don’t view Syracuse as the easiest place to recruit players these days. 

It remains to be seen, of course, but Syracuse is still a good draw bc they’re in the ACC and play in the dome regularly in front of 25K fans.  Tons of national exposure.  And Red Autry is regarded as one of the best recruiters in college basketball.  Syracuse will always have that “blue blood” status in college basketball.  Will Autry be a good HC?  Who knows?

It is a good sign that the best ‘24 recruit has already announced that he will remain committed to ‘Cuse, and Judah hinting today that he will stay another season is also promising.  It will also be telling what Red is able to draw in the transfer portal.  Based on everything I hear about Autry, I am feeling optimistic.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, SirAndrew said:

My guess would be Syracuse will never return to the days of being a perennial top 25 team like they once were. From 1972-2018, Syracuse was in the top 25 at some point during the season in all but 2 years. But in reality, they probably haven't been deserving of those rankings beyond the 2013-14 season or maybe the 2015-16 season with Gbinije, Malachi, and Lydon. The other years in recent memory where Syracuse found themselves ranked were just starting the season ranked in the pre-season poll and falling out once the schedule turned.

We'll see how it goes with Autry; I suspect that things will improve at least to some degree. How much it'll improve is to be determined. My guess would be that we settle in as one of those teams that pops up in the top 25 here and there and makes the tournament more often than not, but is no longer a lock to be in the NCAA Tournament every year/in the top 25 every year.

I certainly hope we can get back to being a powerhouse again, but especially in the NIL era we now find ourselves in, it feels unlikely.

• Agree 1

Just now, DCOrange said:

My guess would be Syracuse will never return to the days of being a perennial top 25 team like they once were. From 1972-2018, Syracuse was in the top 25 at some point during the season in all but 2 years. But in reality, they probably haven't been deserving of those rankings beyond the 2013-14 season or maybe the 2015-16 season with Gbinije, Malachi, and Lydon. The other years in recent memory where Syracuse found themselves ranked were just starting the season ranked in the pre-season poll and falling out once the schedule turned.

We'll see how it goes with Autry; I suspect that things will improve at least to some degree. How much it'll improve is to be determined. My guess would be that we settle in as one of those teams that pops up in the top 25 here and there and makes the tournament more often than not, but is no longer a lock to be in the NCAA Tournament every year/in the top 25 every year.

I certainly hope we can get back to being a powerhouse again, but especially in the NIL era we now find ourselves in, it feels unlikely.

If Mintz comes back next season, I coukd see them possibly breaking into the top 25. Obviously alot depends on what the new hc does with the team and how well he can recrute 

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Syracuse seems to be f*cked in the NIL world of college sports.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

If Mintz comes back next season, I coukd see them possibly breaking into the top 25. Obviously alot depends on what the new hc does with the team and how well he can recrute 

Probably need Edwards to return as well or strike gold on transfers. Going from Edwards to Hima would be a gigantic downgrade and I’m not really sure anyone projected to be on our team is capable of being the 2nd best player on a top 25 team. 

Unsurprisingly, a lot of buzz already that Syracuse will strongly pursue JJ Starling in the transfer portal. Already at least one expert prediction that they will ultimately land him.

I haven't heard anything insider-y personally, but our interest in him obviously makes a lot of sense. Hopefully he's more interested in Syracuse now than he was coming out of high school; a potential starting backcourt of Mintz and JJ would be huge for us.

Edit: I take that back; I have now heard some promising news re: JJ.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1