Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Unsurprisingly, a lot of buzz already that Syracuse will strongly pursue JJ Starling in the transfer portal. Already at least one expert prediction that they will ultimately land him.

I haven't heard anything insider-y personally, but our interest in him obviously makes a lot of sense. Hopefully he's more interested in Syracuse now than he was coming out of high school; a potential starting backcourt of Mintz and JJ would be huge for us.

Edit: I take that back; I have now heard some promising news re: JJ.

Starling was very interested in SU coming out

we were in final 3 iirc and ND made heavy push 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Starling was very interested in SU coming out

we were in final 3 iirc and ND made heavy push 

From what I heard, that was mostly just a courtesy to Autry/his parents trying to push him towards Syracuse but he had told a lot of people that he wanted to get away. Sounds like he's very interested this time around though/might be a done deal already.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A Judah/JJ backcourt 🤤 

Now we wait to hear if Jesse and Bell are returning (and probably further down the line, Judah, as I assume he'll test the Draft waters before making his final decision).

• Agree 1

Look I can’t stand Syracuse Orange and the Syracuse Chiefs now Mets whatever they will always be the Chiefs the enemy as a Buffalo Big 4 basketball and Buffalo Bisons baseball fan. So to me Syracuse is the enemy sports teams. With that said Syracuse Orange will be fine at least there basketball team will be they draw well so they will be fine. But Syracuse football is MAC level today weather there in the ACC or not your never winning a College Football Championship at Syracuse. Syracuse basketball got hurt by the transition to the ACC with a aging stubborn head basketball coach Jim Boeheim. As along as Syracuse Orange fills the Carrier Dome for basketball they will be fine. But Syracuse is like selling Buffalo against the sunbelt and southwest it’s a heavy lift today. I never thought of Syracuse and as a Buffalonian to go to College. Canisius College I went to for college but that wasn’t my first choice. I was going to go to UCLA in Los Angeles. I was accepted into UCLA but because of overcrowding admissions in the field I was going for I would have had to start college in January and I didn’t want to wait 4 months so I decided to go to Canisius College. That is the problem with all these Western New York and Central New York schools prospective students look for the fun and sun it’s a heavy lift compared to UCLA or Miami or Duke or North Carolina at Syracuse in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Look I can’t stand Syracuse Orange and the Syracuse Chiefs now Mets whatever they will always be the Chiefs the enemy as a Buffalo Big 4 basketball and Buffalo Bisons baseball fan. So to me Syracuse is the enemy sports teams. With that said Syracuse Orange will be fine at least there basketball team will be they draw well so they will be fine. But Syracuse football is MAC level today weather there in the ACC or not your never winning a College Football Championship at Syracuse. Syracuse basketball got hurt by the transition to the ACC with a aging stubborn head basketball coach Jim Boeheim. As along as Syracuse Orange fills the Carrier Dome for basketball they will be fine. But Syracuse is like selling Buffalo against the sunbelt and southwest it’s a heavy lift today. I never thought of Syracuse and as a Buffalonian to go to College. Canisius College I went to for college but that wasn’t my first choice. I was going to go to UCLA in Los Angeles. I was accepted into UCLA but because of overcrowding admissions in the field I was going for I would have had to start college in January and I didn’t want to wait 4 months so I decided to go to Canisius College. That is the problem with all these Western New York and Central New York schools prospective students look for the fun and sun it’s a heavy lift compared to UCLA or Miami or Duke or North Carolina at Syracuse in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You gave up on your dream school instead of waiting four months?

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Football sucks.  Basketball will be okay as long as they’re packing the dome, but it’s difficult to recruit against “good weather” schools.  Got it 👍

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Symir transferring. I wonder if that means Judah is back?

Think it's more to do with the fact that Symir just wasn't going to find playing time here regardless. Even if Judah didn't come back, he'd be behind JJ, Copeland, and Taylor for minutes.

But I am pretty optimistic about Judah returning.

• Like (+1) 2

As expected, Judah will enter the NBA draft, but not hire an agent.  I think there is a decent chance he comes back for one more season.  He’ll likely be a lottery pick in 2024 if he can improve his outside shooting.

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hearing rumblings Jesse edwards MAY return 

Oh yeah?

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

As expected, Judah will enter the NBA draft, but not hire an agent.  I think there is a decent chance he comes back for one more season.  He’ll likely be a lottery pick in 2024 if he can improve his outside shooting.

Oh yeah?

Nothing to substantial

Just that his progress has been astonishing the last few seasons but still not NBA level where he wants to be

so he won’t be drafted … but another year of progress and Jesse has NBA upside which is intriguing over a euro career

red would have a great acc squad

Edited by Buffalo716

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oh yeah?

I think technically he can and will hire an agent while maintaining his eligibility, or at least, some agent will represent him with the Combine/workouts.

But yeah, he'll have until the end of May to decide if he wants to come back to school or not. I know the program is optimistic he'll be back, but we'll see. Just from some of the stuff his dad has said in the past and what I personally think his draft stock will actually be, I kinda wonder if we end up getting bad news on this front.

I am selfishly hoping he doesn't like what he hears from NBA teams though lol.

Edit: If the mock drafts are accurate and he's truly being viewed as a mid to late 2nd round pick, I think he'll return. He has lottery pick potential and we would probably offer to pay him more to stay than an NBA team would pay him that late in the draft. But if his draft stock is actually towards the back half of the first round like I suspect it may actually be, things will probably get dicey.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I think technically he can and will hire an agent while maintaining his eligibility, or at least, some agent will represent him with the Combine/workouts.

But yeah, he'll have until the end of May to decide if he wants to come back to school or not. I know the program is optimistic he'll be back, but we'll see. Just from some of the stuff his dad has said in the past and what I personally think his draft stock will actually be, I kinda wonder if we end up getting bad news on this front.

I am selfishly hoping he doesn't like what he hears from NBA teams though lol.

agreed. Wishful thinking. He is as good as gone. Oh well. 

Just got this from our local weekly paper (Glens Falls Chronicle) and wanted to share:

Glens Falls native JG3 today announced his current plans as he heads towards his fifth and final year of college basketball eligibility. He said he will enter the 2023 NBA Draft Process, but also maintain collegiate eligibility and enter the transfer portal.

"From the time I was a little kid, I've been committed with a relentless pursuit to play the game of basketball at the highest level. My focus has been and continues to be living out that dream," he wrote on Instagram.

"I will be continuing my dream by entering the 2023 NBA Draft process while at the same time maintaining my collegiate eligibility. With that said, I will also be entering the Transfer Portal to keep my options open and gather as much information as possible in order for me to make the most informed decision about my basketball future."

"I want to express my utmost gratitude to my family, Coach Boeheim, and Orange Nation for the past four seasons. Thank you to every fan and supporter who has impacted me in a positive manner and has helped shape who I am today. I am confident in God's plan and trust that the next chapter will be amazing. I'm grateful for what has taken place on the journey thus far and am looking forward to what my future holds."