Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

It does seem that way, the game has focused on threes and ball movement so much more, which is exactly what kills the zone.

remember back in the day— there was maybe 1 really good shooter to account for, and most teams didn’t have a big who could shoot or pass in the high post? I remember when Villanova had Dante Cunningham, and he was one of the few guys who gave us a lot of trouble in the high post.

Now, every team has 3-4 really good 3-point shooters, and most teams have a few big guys that can fill that high post and find the shooters. I honestly don’t think even our best defensive teams at Syracuse could be effective today. Even against Pitt, they were draining a lot of hard, contested 3’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

remember back in the day— there was maybe 1 really good shooter to account for, and most teams didn’t have a big who could shoot or pass in the high post? I remember when Villanova had Dante Cunningham, and he was one of the few guys who gave us a lot of trouble in the high post.

Now, every team has 3-4 really good 3-point shooters, and most teams have a few big guys that can fill that high post and find the shooters. I honestly don’t think even our best defensive teams at Syracuse could be effective today. Even against Pitt, they were draining a lot of hard, contested 3’s. 

Yep his defense forced teams to play entirely different than what they would normally do. 

Now his defense is giving them exactly what they want.

He needs to mix it up more or he is done. Maybe even after this year

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:07 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just can’t play zone anymore. Game has changed too much. 

I think it’s possible, but it’s definitely not possible with this group of players and I think man to man is simply a better option at this point for almost any team makeup. 

On 2/27/2023 at 1:44 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I get why you’d think this, but going back and watching teams like the MCW team or the title team, there’s a night and day difference between the intensity they brought compared to the teams we’ve had the past 5+ years. With the more recent teams, there’s 10+ times a game that a hard working defense would trap and force an easy turnover. Our teams don’t even try anymore and frankly aren’t built for it even if they did try. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:32 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

John Bol Ajak to enter transfer portal after season.  Not surprising and I wish him well.  

Been a great teammate … brought energy in limited minutes 

🙏🙏

It all starts at recruiting 

and it seems we are getting back into more top 60 players

• Agree 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, DCOrange said:

Hearing some buzz that Jim will announce his retirement in the next couple weeks.

Now been some pushback that he’ll announce one more year instead but we’ll see. Everyone I’ve spoken to agrees he’s going to announce the plan in the next couple weeks. 

On 3/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, DCOrange said:

Hearing some buzz that Jim will announce his retirement in the next couple weeks.

Moving to the ACC upset him as did the wins that were taken away, but both pale to comparison to the motor vehicle accident a few years ago.

He's a hall of famer, won a ring, and was able to coach two sons at the highest level.  He's deserved the right to step away on his own terms and that's just what he'll do.  When, only he and his family know.

50 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Do you guys think Jim is the kind of guy who wants a farewell tour?

The answer to that question will tell us if he announces immediate retirement after the season or announces he will have one last season.

I think he’s said in the past that he’d prefer to do it the way Roy Williams did (no farewell tour) but we’ll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think he’s said in the past that he’d prefer to do it the way Roy Williams did (no farewell tour) but we’ll see. 

I didn't know that.

My initial thought would be that he doesn't seem the type to want the coach K send off treatment at every stop but when it comes right down to him making the final call who knows.