Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Welp, the annual blow-out loss to Colgate.  I have no idea what Syracuse does on offense. Just a bunch of guys running iso. Looks like a YMCA game. 

I get its hard to beat a team who shoots that well and that many 3s, but the offense looked atrocious. They need to get Edwards involved early and it will open up everything else. 

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I get its hard to beat a team who shoots that well and that many 3s, but the offense looked atrocious. They need to get Edwards involved early and it will open up everything else. 

There is just no movement.  They look like a middle school offense.  Horrible 🤢 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There is just no movement.  They look like a middle school offense.  Horrible 🤢 

we used to do this a little with Onuwaku— sort of run the offense inside out.

Also, at least one problem is these guys can’t or won’t pass. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

we used to do this a little with Onuwaku— sort of run the offense inside out.

Also, at least one problem is these guys can’t or won’t pass. 

I am hoping that is more because they are freshman and used to being the go to guy in high school. Now they have to learn to play more as a team, including defense

• Like (+1) 1

We've had issues getting Edwards involved in the past but last night wasn't it. He just flat out sucked at everything. We tried to get him the ball in the post; he was no match for Colgate's physicality and it resulted in him throwing up ugly shots, trying to dunk from too far away, etc. He got exploited defensively all game too. It was a rare game where we probably would have been better off if he had gotten into foul trouble.

A lot of ugly stuff last night. Seems like communication defensively is a gigantic problem. In man-to-man, we had no idea how to handle a simple ball screen. Guys were switching when they shouldn't, fighting through when they shouldn't, hedging when they shouldn't, and double-teaming when they shouldn't. The 1-3-1 zone is just a non-starter; it's asking for Girard and Edwards to cover the most space on the floor and that's the worst position we can possibly put the two of them in. The communication issues were there constantly in the 2-3 as well and the 3 guard lineup so many wanted to see appears unworkable in the 2-3. The team had no awareness of who Colgate's shooters were and couldn't execute the simplest of rotations on a consistent basis; often leaving shooters open while the defense was defending empty space.

The offense is what it is. If Edwards plays like he did last night and Girard's shot is off, this team will lose that game 100 times out of 100. I think the offense mostly did a good job of getting Girard open looks on the move and did a nice job getting the ball to Jesse until it became apparent that we shouldn't. We got a sneak peak of what happens to Mintz when the shot isn't falling and he isn't drawing fouls in the first half but he rebounded beautifully in the 2nd half and overall had a nice game. Benny was as promising as ever; I definitely don't want to see him taking jumpers with regularity, but his free throws looked good, and he was mostly active and confident. I would really like to see him take advantage of teams playing off of him more. Colgate rightfully helped off of him constantly and mostly abandoned him on the 3 point line; Boeheim and Benny need to recognize this as an opportunity to set screens or dribble-handoffs to get easy looks for Girard and Mintz. It's a super simple tweak that just isn't happening for whatever reason; I'd like to think Boeheim recognizes it but maybe not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That was a great game by jg3, prob his best at Cuse. He kept the team in it in the first half. Started to get Edwards involved more at the end and we finally pulled away. 

Defense finished out the half and OT strong 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Wow Judah is so smooth

Judah is going to be really good

18 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

That was a great game by jg3, prob his best at Cuse. He kept the team in it in the first half. Started to get Edwards involved more at the end and we finally pulled away. 

Defense finished out the half and OT strong 

Judah is going to be really good

Judah will only be here 2 years tops 

• Agree 1

That was a brutal game from Joe. Might not have made a difference but would have liked to see some of the subs play more. Our starters were dead by the end of the game.

Judah once again looked very impressive but he kinda fell apart by the end too. Really struggled handling the ball against the pressure St. John’s was giving him.

I watched a bunch of Bell’s high school games and feel confident saying this is the best two game stretch he’s had. Not really sure what to make of it but if he continues to shoot like he has the last two games, that’ll be big for this team. 

Jesse continues to be a relative disappointment, though he did make a few tough shots to keep our hopes alive.

Pretty nice showing from Benny. He’s had a couple games now that have shown why we continue to play him so much more than the alternatives; he’s capable of doing things nobody else on this team can. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

That was a brutal game from Joe. Might not have made a difference but would have liked to see some of the subs play more. Our starters were dead by the end of the game.

Judah once again looked very impressive but he kinda fell apart by the end too. Really struggled handling the ball against the pressure St. John’s was giving him.

I watched a bunch of Bell’s high school games and feel confident saying this is the best two game stretch he’s had. Not really sure what to make of it but if he continues to shoot like he has the last two games, that’ll be big for this team. 

Jesse continues to be a relative disappointment, though he did make a few tough shots to keep our hopes alive.

Pretty nice showing from Benny. He’s had a couple games now that have shown why we continue to play him so much more than the alternatives; he’s capable of doing things nobody else on this team can. 

Re the end of the game and OT, these guys need to move on offense. They let Judah get pressured to death, and no one is cutting or setting screens off the ball. They were all standing around and watching him. 

39 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Re the end of the game and OT, these guys need to move on offense. They let Judah get pressured to death, and no one is cutting or setting screens off the ball. They were all standing around and watching him. 

I think the constant pressure, especially this early in the season, wore us down, even more so with an overtime game the night before. We got tired and stopped moving our feet imo

• Agree 1