Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I mean, boeheim went 12 deep in the first half. And IUP is ranked 2nd in D2. Not your typical exhibition game 

It wasn’t about the scoreboard more that they had 10 turnovers in the first half and there was a stretch where they had 5 in 5 minutes

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting strategy by boeheim, using the entire bench in the first half then a more traditional lineup in the second. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Looks like they are pulling away, from looking at the live box score. Do I really need to get ESPN+ to Watch these Games?!

Hulu has it for me

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Sad to see a talented young man slipping by the wayside

literally had top 5 pick talent and might not even make it to a college game 

• Agree 1

Lehigh tonight.  I think they finally have the athletes to hang with the blue bloods, minus the bigs perhaps, but they should at least keep those games close. Hopefully they clean some things up from preseason. Lots of sloppiness from the young guns. 

• Like (+1) 2

Really nice opener. Some good athletes on this team. I actually think man helps them out more on the boards more than anything. 

really like Maliq Brown in particular— thought he played very well.

Wonder if JB goes 10 deep all season. Gone are the days of 6 deep— lose all those guys you want to develop to the portal now. 

• Agree 1

Great start to the year for our main three guards. They all looked good tonight. I was very happy to see Mintz look more like the player he was in high school after his struggles in the two exhibition games. Tonight was pretty much the best case scenario of how I hoped he would look; drawing fouls, keeping the defense off balance, and knocking down mid-range shots.

Jesse was awesome as well; didn't really expect us to be a team that looks for alley oops a lot but that was a really nice surprise to see.

The forwards unsurprisingly looked to be our main weakness. Benny's athleticism popped a little more than last year's play but he still looks like a kid that just began playing basketball. Bell didn't really do anything but at least he knocked down one of his 3's and had the nice steal and finish. Brown did his thing, but his relatively poor leaping ability stood out to me and I remain a bit skeptical of how his game will translate against real competition. Taylor looked the part but shot like crap. Based on how our forwards looked in high school, I think we had to sort of pin our hopes of being a tournament team on the idea that things would click for Benny this season, and unfortunately, that doesn't appear to have happened.

Overall though, obviously a very young team and they all showed at least flashes of promising stuff. I think this team was more fun to watch than last year's team. We'll see if that remains the case as competition gets stiffer.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mintz being a scorer at the pg spot is something this team has needed for a long time it seems. It helps having a big like Edwards as well. Mintz allows us to move JG3 to sg where he is better suited. Our forwards were not the best but one thing I liked seeing from them was their willingness to rebound (another thing we have not been the best at, could that be due to the zone though?).

If we mix up man vs zone defense with how we work the 2-3, I feel like we can keep the opponents off balance more which will only help.

Will have to see how we look against the ACC competition but we should be much better off than last year

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Mintz being a scorer at the pg spot is something this team has needed for a long time it seems. It helps having a big like Edwards as well. Mintz allows us to move JG3 to sg where he is better suited. Our forwards were not the best but one thing I liked seeing from them was their willingness to rebound (another thing we have not been the best at, could that be due to the zone though?).

If we mix up man vs zone defense with how we work the 2-3, I feel like we can keep the opponents off balance more which will only help.

Will have to see how we look against the ACC competition but we should be much better off than last year

I personally love the zone. But even from my own experiences playing a lot of bball myself, it is so much easier to rebound playing man defense than zone.  

In recent years, we haven’t had the athletes to play the zone and then the rebounding has suffered too.  So I am on board with mixing it up.