Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

Not sure how i feel about G League teams openly recruiting HS players.  Seems like a very slippery slope

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This would be a huge get for Cuse.  Kick Joe over to SG where he belongs.  Q Copeland could play either guard position off the bench while he develops.

3 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Very tall order today.  If we had one more bench player, or if symir had more consistent offense.  Hell of an effort.

Effort was outstanding! Symir has another season and has some good traits so hopefully he can work on his offensive game 

He is very quick and can get into the lane to make a play ... Just needs to finish consistently 

Add that Edwards is coming back ... JG3 , Edwards might be a all acc combo in the pick and roll

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully we start hearing about our guys staying or going this week. From what I’ve heard, the guys that could potentially leave are (in order of likelihood):

Jimmy/Buddy obviously

Jon Bol Ajak very likely

Cole Swider 50/50

Frank Ansalem 50/50

Benny Williams more likely to stay

If Frank ends up leaving, we obviously need to find a backup C that can play. If Cole and or Benny leaves, we’ll be in desperate need of a forward. I think we need to find a guard that can play right away too so hopefully we’ll be active in the transfer portal but we’ll see. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Hopefully we start hearing about our guys staying or going this week. From what I’ve heard, the guys that could potentially leave are (in order of likelihood):

Jimmy/Buddy obviously

Jon Bol Ajak very likely

Cole Swider 50/50

Frank Ansalem 50/50

If Frank ends up leaving, we obviously need to find a backup C that can play. If Cole and or Benny leaves, we’ll be in desperate need of a forward. I think we need to find a guard that can play right away too so hopefully we’ll be active in the transfer portal but we’ll see. 

interesting that you are hearing Cole is 50/50. I just assumed he was gone.  He could really benefit from another year, especially where he might be the go-to scorer. 

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Jimmy/Buddy obviously

Jon Bol Ajak very likely

Cole Swider 50/50

Frank Ansalem 50/50

Just curious, why do you have Jimmy/Buddy as obviously?

I did see on the news the other day that Buddy wanted to test the NBA waters, (which kind of seems laughable to me), but they both have eligibility left so to me it didn't seem so obvious for them to move on.

29 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Just curious, why do you have Jimmy/Buddy as obviously?

I did see on the news the other day that Buddy wanted to test the NBA waters, (which kind of seems laughable to me), but they both have eligibility left so to me it didn't seem so obvious for them to move on.

IIRC, Jim has already said that Buddy is gone regardless.  The jury is still out on Jimmy Junior.  I haven’t heard anything definitive, but I trust @DCOrange and his sources.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

IIRC, Jim has already said that Buddy is gone regardless.  The jury is still out on Jimmy Junior.  I haven’t heard anything definitive, but I trust @DCOrange and his sources.

Once again just reiterating anything I get is second hand but from what I’ve heard, Buddy and Jimmy are moving on and Jim is trying to use that to convince Cole to come back and be more of a featured scorer

• Like (+1) 3

Some things are starting to crystallize a bit from the sound of it. Don't know too many specifics, but one person I trust is saying they've heard that in addition to losing the two Boeheims and Sidibe, we're expecting at least 3 more players to leave this offseason. He said two of those three don't really matter (my unknowledgeable guess would be Jon Bol Ajak and Chaz Owens but not sure) but that the third assumed departure is going to hurt. He specifically said he's not sure what Cole plans to do yet, so to me, it seems like the third departure is almost certainly Frank Ansalem or Benny Williams (my unknowledgeable guess would be Frank).

He also added that we're expecting to add 2 or 3 players in the transfer portal depending on what one of our important players does (my guess would be if Cole leaves, we try to bring in 3 and if Cole stays we stick to 2). He said we're pretty likely to add one player in the portal that he does not like (my guess would be Quincy Ballard to replace Frank).

So if my assumptions are all correct (and let's assume Cole stays because I don't want to picture our team without him), we're looking at a roster next year of:

Symir

JGIII

Cole

Benny

Jesse

Taylor

Bunch

Brown

Quadir

Ballard

Carey

Transfer #2

Unused Scholarship #1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Some things are starting to crystallize a bit from the sound of it. Don't know too many specifics, but one person I trust is saying they've heard that in addition to losing the two Boeheims and Sidibe, we're expecting at least 3 more players to leave this offseason. He said two of those three don't really matter (my unknowledgeable guess would be Jon Bol Ajak and Chaz Owens but not sure) but that the third assumed departure is going to hurt. He specifically said he's not sure what Cole plans to do yet, so to me, it seems like the third departure is almost certainly Frank Ansalem or Benny Williams (my unknowledgeable guess would be Frank).

He also added that we're expecting to add 2 or 3 players in the transfer portal depending on what one of our important players does (my guess would be if Cole leaves, we try to bring in 3 and if Cole stays we stick to 2). He said we're pretty likely to add one player in the portal that he does not like (my guess would be Quincy Ballard to replace Frank).

So if my assumptions are all correct (and let's assume Cole stays because I don't want to picture our team without him), we're looking at a roster next year of:

Symir

JGIII

Cole

Benny

Jesse

Taylor

Bunch

Brown

Quadir

Ballard

Carey

Transfer #2

Unused Scholarship #1

Frank A leaving would be a big mistake, IMO. Got 14 minutes per game last year— likely going to go up this year.  He can get more meaningful minutes elsewhere? 

(In my dreams, I envisioned being able to put both Jesse and Frank on the floor next year at times). 

Seems to be some buzz that we may have been written off re: our chances with Judah Mintz a little too quickly. Still seems to be a DePaul lean, but if we end up stealing him away, he'd become by far our most promising incoming recruit IMO. He was an absolute stud in the NIBC league where Chris Bunch was mostly terrible.