Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ummm the old big east that SU was in was the best basketball conference in the country 

it was better than the ACC and they had no problem recruiting 

Joe Girard is so bad that coach K was was going in circles trying to land him 

You are going back like 15 years.  Like I said, Syracuse is a declining brand, it was much more valuable with Hopkins and a younger Boeheim.

The game has changed, and Boeheim has not.  They play a slow paced game which is not the best way attract players in today's era.

Cuse has the 7th rated recruiting ranking in the ACC for the last several years.  That is also about where they finish off in the ACC.  Most Cuse fans I have talked to, are not happy with finishing mid ACC every year.

Girard never even visited Duke.  I can't remember the last player rated as low as Girard got significant playing time at Duke. 

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

You are going back like 15 years.  Like I said, Syracuse is a declining brand, it was much more valuable with Hopkins and a younger Boeheim.

The game has changed, and Boeheim has not.  They play a slow paced game which is not the best way attract players in today's era.

Cuse has the 7th rated recruiting ranking in the ACC for the last several years.  That is also about where they finish off in the ACC.  Most Cuse fans I have talked to, are not happy with finishing mid ACC every year.

Girard never even visited Duke.  I can't remember the last player rated as low as Girard got significant playing time at Duke. 

Now I know you are trolling lol

Girard did have an unofficial visit to duke and they were considered the front runner. Jack White at Duke gets tons of playing time(20mpg last year) and he’s a lowly 3* recruit

and SU has ALWAYS PLAYED FAST PACED

did you forget Cuse has been on sanctions? 

They haven’t had the bodies to play fast

Boeheim always wants to run and I expect an up tempo offense again

Sanctions has killed Cuse the last 4-5 years... not Boeheim 

Edited by Buffalo716

45 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Now I know you are trolling lol

Girard did have an unofficial visit to duke and they were considered the front runner. Jack White at Duke gets tons of playing time and he’s a lowly 3* recruit

and SU has ALWAYS PLAYED FAST PACED

did you forget Cuse has been on sanctions? 

They haven’t had the bodies to play fast

Boeheim always wants to run and I expect an up tempo offense 

Sanctions has killed Cuse the last 4-5 years... not Boeheim 

Delusional

Cuse is known as a slow paced, defensive dominate team. You could ask 20 recruits about Cuse and they will bring up the zone.  That is what they are known for, defense. 

Possessions per game rankings:

2019 : 261

2018:  336

2017: 254

2016: 329

2015: 113

2014: 347

2013: 188

When the heck did they play a fast paced game?  The more offensive possession allows for players to put up more stats and make them look better. 

Girard was never a legit Duke option, you can think whatever you want.  Unofficial visits are a dime a dozen in college BB.  He could go to the Duke summer basketball camp and that would be considered unofficial.

Jack White is from Australia and I don't think he left the bench the first two years and played a half a season this year.  Is that really what Girard wants?

Why are sanctions considered an opt out for failure?  The sanctions were put on for a reason.

59 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Delusional

Cuse is known as a slow paced, defensive dominate team. You could ask 20 recruits about Cuse and they will bring up the zone.  That is what they are known for, defense. 

Possessions per game rankings:

2019 : 261

2018:  336

2017: 254

2016: 329

2015: 113

2014: 347

2013: 188

When the heck did they play a fast paced game?  The more offensive possession allows for players to put up more stats and make them look better. 

Girard was never a legit Duke option, you can think whatever you want.  Unofficial visits are a dime a dozen in college BB.  He could go to the Duke summer basketball camp and that would be considered unofficial.

Jack White is from Australia and I don't think he left the bench the first two years and played a half a season this year.  Is that really what Girard wants?

Why are sanctions considered an opt out for failure?  The sanctions were put on for a reason.

What the heck does the zone have to do with pace of play on offense? The zone was the way SU got out in transition and ran

i can bring up 100 interviews where Boeheim says he wants to play fast and has always wanted to play fast on offense

they only started slowing down with Tyler Ennis

they played fast under Michael carter Williams, Jonny Flynn, scoop jardine, triche , going all the way back to Pearl Washington .. remember him?

Jim USES the zone to play faster on offense historically by creating turnovers. That’s a fact 

his zone creates a slow defensive pace but he has ALWAYS liked to get into transition and run

all those PGs I mentioned , their teams thrived in transition and playing fast and struggled a lot more in the half court on offense

they were not half court teams 

agree to disagree 

Edited by Buffalo716

https://247sports.com/Player/Woody-Newton-46049423/

‘20 4 Star (ranked 74 in class) forward Woody Newton to announce tomorrow.  I’m hearing he’s liking ?.  Would be a good get.  Potential 5 star guy by the time he graduates, and will likely grow a couple more inches.

Reminds me a lot of Chris McCullough.

• Like (+1) 1

Ctrl F5.....Ctrl F5...Ctrl F5

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Woody-Newton-46049423/

‘20 4 Star (ranked 74 in class) forward Woody Newton to announce tomorrow.  I’m hearing he’s liking ?.  Would be a good get.  Potential 5 star guy by the time he graduates, and will likely grow a couple more inches.

Reminds me a lot of Chris McCullough.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Now if we can land Andre Jackson...that ‘20 class could really be outstanding.

My friends out there say Jackson is really high on playing at SU. He is the perfect SU wing 

i think he will commit to SU and has a really good chance at ending as a 5* player

By the way, came across this twitter user the other day, something you need to tell us?

Screenshot_20190527-094111.thumb.png.c833e7b24c22d7a81ee93f3afb003be5.png

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Now if we can land Andre Jackson...that ‘20 class could really be outstanding.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

My friends out there say Jackson is really high on playing at SU. He is the perfect SU wing 

i think he will commit to SU and has a really good chance at ending as a 5* player

I’m hearing he is a huge Cuse lean as well.  Kid just destroys the rim.  Beast of an athlete.  Kind of reminds me of Dion Waiters.  Size of a SG with the skill set of an athletic SF.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, Ittakestime said:

Those recruits are fine in the Big East, won't be able to keep up with classes like that in ACC.

Syracuse is a brand on the decline.  The ACC is a different animal.

Just going off the cuff here, but hasn’t Syracuse made the final 4 twice since joining the ACC in 2013?  I mean, we all have concerns about recruiting post “scandal” and Hop leaving, but “a brand on the decline”??  Are you serious?  Insulting.  Who is your team?

I’m not so sure you’re familiar with the history of Syracuse basketball recruiting.  News flash!  We’ve never, ever even had close to the success of the “blue bloods” in the ACC....or Kentucky or Kansas.  A true top 10 recruit was always rare.  Syracuse still managed to do pretty damned well.  I think you’re trolling here just to pick a fight.  Not cool.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just going off the cuff here, but hasn’t Syracuse made the final 4 twice since joining the ACC in 2013?  I mean, we all have concerns about recruiting post “scandal” and Hop leaving, but “a brand on the decline”??  Are you serious?  Insulting.  Who is your team?

I’m not so sure you’re familiar with the history of Syracuse basketball recruiting.  News flash!  We’ve never, ever even had close to the success of the “blue bloods” in the ACC....or Kentucky or Kansas.  A true top 10 recruit was always rare.  Syracuse still managed to do pretty damned well.  I think you’re trolling here just to pick a fight.  Not cool.

In the early 80s and 90s he grabbed #1 recruit pearl Washington and Derrick Coleman and Melo 

but yea I think he’s trolling . SU has always been a Great recruiting school... but they usually go after high major 4* recruits that fit Boeheims scheme . Every 2-3 years we land a top 20 5*

13 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They joined ACC is 13-14 season.  Didn't make tournament twice.  Sweet 16 in 18.  Final 4 in 16 (Should they have even been in tournament?).  Round of 32 in 14.  Last year lost in first round.

I don't know if you have noticed, but the success of other ACC teams since they have joined has resulted in national championships.

Also, Mike Hopkins is a really good coach and recruiter.  He is a major loss whether you Boeheim lovers want to admit it.

I'm not trolling at all.  From an outside perspective, the Syracuse Basketball is in a free fall.  I think the last few years will become the norm.  Missing tournament/first round exits.  I mean if that is your expectation, then I guess they are doing great.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

In the early 80s and 90s he grabbed #1 recruit pearl Washington and Derrick Coleman and Melo 

but yea I think he’s trolling . SU has always been a Great recruiting school... but they usually go after high major 4* recruits that fit Boeheims scheme . Every 2-3 years we land a top 20 5*

A "great" recruiting school doesn't go after 4* recruits.  Your opinion of "great" is awfully low.

Edited by Ittakestime

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

They joined ACC is 13-14 season.  Didn't make tournament twice.  Sweet 16 in 18.  Final 4 in 16 (Should they have even been in tournament?).  Round of 32 in 14.  Last year lost in first round.

I don't know if you have noticed, but the success of other ACC teams since they have joined has resulted in national championships.

Also, Mike Hopkins is a really good coach and recruiter.  He is a major loss whether you Boeheim lovers want to admit it.

I'm not trolling at all.  From an outside perspective, the Syracuse Basketball is in a free fall.  I think the last few years will become the norm.  Missing tournament/first round exits.  I mean if that is your expectation, then I guess they are doing great.

A "great" recruiting school doesn't go after 4* recruits.  Your opinion of "great" is awfully low.

Who’s your team, troll?  It is clear that you know nothing about the history of Syracuse recruiting.  As was stated, Syracuse has never been one of those teams that loads up on McDonalds All Americans every year.  We have always gotten one top 10-20 recruit about every 2-3 years.  We typically load up on 3-4* kids that have potential and for the system.

Yes, the sanctions hurt us.  Yes, losing Mike Hopkins hurt us.  We all know that, and most of us on here are very critical of Jim Boeheim if you’d pay attention.  The program in a “free fall” though?!  You’re a complete dolt if you believe that.

Very solid recruiting class coming in ‘19 highlighted by Guerrier, Goodine, and JG3.  We will likely have 2 scholarships for the ‘20 class, and we’ve just landed a top 75 PF.  Likely going to land a 5* SG/SF for ‘20 as well.  I think we’re in pretty good shape.