Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Justin Taylor will be joining Quadir Copeland at IMG for their senior seasons.  Love it 😊 

I know some are down on Copeland but he is crazy creative... 

And it's not reckless either it's pretty controlled... Get him to work with Jim and GMac and he will learn alot 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know some are down on Copeland but he is crazy creative... 

And it's not reckless either it's pretty controlled... Get him to work with Jim and GMac and he will learn alot 

Based on the stuff I saw from Copeland this summer, I’m as high on him as I’ve ever been.  He has a very well rounded skill set and improved immensely as a ball handler.  He’s also a 6’6” kid with room to grow into his frame.  A year at IMG with elite coaching, facilities and competition will also surely help his development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Kamari Lands decommits 😢

Full court press now on Dominic Barlow and Chris Bunch 🤷🏻‍♂️

Honestly, not a bad move by Lands. I don’t think he even visited Syracuse. I’d rather him made a fully informed decision and have no regrets, as opposed to pulling a last-second Bazley type move. 

On 8/21/2021 at 10:00 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Honestly, not a bad move by Lands. I don’t think he even visited Syracuse. I’d rather him made a fully informed decision and have no regrets, as opposed to pulling a last-second Bazley type move. 

Yeah, smart move by him for the dollars 💵.  I don’t blame him one bit.

He wants a recruitment with NIL in place.  Turning NCAA recruitment into more of a meat market.  Forget the G-League idea for high level prospects, now they can make 6 figures by choosing the school that offers the best marketing/exposure.

Same reason Chance Westry has wanted to play for Cuse all his life, but is going to commit to a school like LSU or Bama.

Sweet 😒

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, smart move by him for the dollars 💵.  I don’t blame him one bit.

He wants a recruitment with NIL in place.  Turning NCAA recruitment into more of a meat market.  Forget the G-League idea for high level prospects, now they can make 6 figures by choosing the school that offers the best marketing/exposure.

Same reason Chance Westry has wanted to play for Cuse all his life, but is going to commit to a school like LSU or Bama.

Sweet 😒

it’s the new college basketball! The teams that can recruit these guys with a solid “marketing” plan are going to land the best players. It’s going to take a whole different type of recruiting strategy. 

41 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

it’s the new college basketball! The teams that can recruit these guys with a solid “marketing” plan are going to land the best players. It’s going to take a whole different type of recruiting strategy. 

Doesn’t mean I have to like it.  Going to be the downfall of major college sports, IMO.  Schools like Syracuse just can’t compete with the likes of these colossal SEC/BIG10/PAC12 schools.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe a time is coming soon that the NCAA will be forced to make institutional changes to catch up with what is happening with the NIL.  Feels like they are still stuck in the late 80's with their policies when college athletics has basically become a AAA feeder league for pro sports.  At least they have begun to acknowledge what it actually is, but why not fully embrace it and change the structure to fit what has been happening for decades?

9 hours ago, tempaccount said:

I believe a time is coming soon that the NCAA will be forced to make institutional changes to catch up with what is happening with the NIL.  Feels like they are still stuck in the late 80's with their policies when college athletics has basically become a AAA feeder league for pro sports.  At least they have begun to acknowledge what it actually is, but why not fully embrace it and change the structure to fit what has been happening for decades?

Nope, the NCAA is powerful enough to just continue to do what they are doing.

There are enough players out there that will play in the NCAA.  College BB in particular would be better if the best kids didn't go to it.  College BB is missing the days of getting to know the kids and creating rivalries for 4 years.   A single best player playing in the league, doesn't mean the league is better to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, inkman said:

Cuse lands 2022 seven footer.

This one is huge.  Not that he’s an elite talent, but we just need height and athleticism in the middle of the zone.  This kid needs to do work in the weight room, but he’s tremendously athletic and a competitor.

• Like (+1) 2

Saw the 210# figure and kind of cringed.  Hopefully he can add some bulk

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This one is huge.  Not that he’s an elite talent, but we just need height and athleticism in the middle of the zone.  This kid needs to do work in the weight room, but he’s tremendously athletic and a competitor.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

haha— not buying that at all. 

Nah, I’m not buying this either...well not completely anyway.  I have, however, heard this criticism of Boeheim before.  Increasingly, he has become less “hands on” with recruiting which can be a turn off for some recruits.

My understanding is that the desire to part ways was somewhat mutual between Prince Dior and the coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Nah, I’m not buying this either...well not completely anyway.  I have, however, heard this criticism of Boeheim before.  Increasingly, he has become less “hands on” with recruiting which can be a turn off for some recruits.

My understanding is that the desire to part ways was somewhat mutual between Prince Dior and the coaching staff.

the reality is he is 76 years old. He’s not going to be snap chatting with these 17-year old kids. He’s probably dictating emails in 16-point font at this stage in life.  Maybe that will cause him to lose some guys, but not sure there’s anything to be done about it.