Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

49 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I guess congrats to Boeheim’s Army— but that was the ugliest basketball game I probably have ever seen.  That should have played at LA Fitness. 

Lmaooo 

TBT is ugly ... It's a bunch of overseas pros and ex pros and G league guys playing for accolades 

It's gonna be chippy 

Congrats to boeheims army! Devo showing mad emotions shows how much it means to them 

These are the best basketball players around the world who are not playing in the nba

Edited by Buffalo716

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lmaooo 

TBT is ugly ... It's a bunch of overseas pros and ex pros and G league guys playing for accolades 

It's gonna be chippy 

Congrats to boeheims army! Devo showing mad emotions shows how much it means to them 

These are the best basketball players around the world who are not playing in the nba

I have always only caught bits and pieces of TBT games. This was the first one I saw from beginning to end.  It was just a blood bath. Guys just getting decked— no fouls. Lots of turnovers and just hacking going on.

That said, it was fun to see some of those old guys back out there. Sounds like both Devo and Lydon are hanging it up for good. Nice to see them go out as champs. 

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have always only caught bits and pieces of TBT games. This was the first one I saw from beginning to end.  It was just a blood bath. Guys just getting decked— no fouls. Lots of turnovers and just hacking going on.

That said, it was fun to see some of those old guys back out there. Sounds like both Devo and Lydon are hanging it up for good. Nice to see them go out as champs. 

Yep , Lyndon needs knee surgery 100% done... Devo is just not young enough to keep playing competitively unfortunately

He did hit a big three today though

I watched the entire tournament.. every game was sloppy ,chippy, but it was fun basketball

And fun to see orangemen who I never thought would suit up again in Orange 

All around success this year 

Elam ending is nerve wrecking!

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Few thoughts from this beautiful view... 34 year devendorf on the court

Devendorf consoles the team 23 player who looks absolutely dejected 

Devo is the heart and soul of Boeheims army 

As Devo said... This is Boeheims army... Not Syracuse army.. Jim HAS given support for all non SU players and welcomed them ... They have his Blessing

It really is a beautiful tournament for a beautiful game... Emotions run high just like any professional sports League... And Boeheims army is finally the basketball tournament champions

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Few thoughts from this beautiful view... 34 year devendorf on the court

Devendorf consoles the team 23 player who looks absolutely dejected 

Devo is the heart and soul of Boeheims army 

As Devo said... This is Boeheims army... Not Syracuse army.. Jim HAS given support for all non SU players and welcomed them ... They have his Blessing

It really is a beautiful tournament for a beautiful game... Emotions run high just like any professional sports League... And Boeheims army is finally the basketball tournament champions

Devo is a total class act. Wow. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSaZWS0j-mw/?utm_medium=copy_link

Big pick up for ‘22.   He’ll be top 50-60 by this time next summer.  Now we need a big and we’ll be in good shape.

Excited to see him hopefully continue progressing now that he's at IMG next year. I'm still not totally sold on him; the games from a year or two ago that I had watched weren't pretty, but he does seem like he's improved based on the more recent games.

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Excited to see him hopefully continue progressing now that he's at IMG next year. I'm still not totally sold on him; the games from a year or two ago that I had watched weren't pretty, but he does seem like he's improved based on the more recent games.

I watched some of this summer’s highlights.  He looked much better.  Looks like his frame filled out and he has more room to add muscle.  Also looked much more confident and assertive as a floor general.  Great handle and seems to be better at creating off the dribble.  I love the commit.

2 hours ago, tempaccount said:

A competent center would be amazing, it has been soooo long since we have had that

A lot of folks feel confident that we’ll land the 7 foot C/PF from Mass, Peter Carey.  He’s gone under recruited, but has had an incredible summer.  I think we’re one of maybe 2 “big school” offers he has received.  There will be more before he commits anywhere.  Hopefully we got in early enough on him.

I’m still holding out hope for one of either JJ Starling or Chris Bunch.  Both wings that can also play either guard position.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I watched some of this summer’s highlights.  He looked much better.  Looks like his frame filled out and he has more room to add muscle.  Also looked much more confident and assertive as a floor general.  Great handle and seems to be better at creating off the dribble.  I love the commit.

A lot of folks feel confident that we’ll land the 7 foot C/PF from Mass, Peter Carey.  He’s gone under recruited, but has had an incredible summer.  I think we’re one of maybe 2 “big school” offers he has received.  There will be more before he commits anywhere.  Hopefully we got in early enough on him.

I’m still holding out hope for one of either JJ Starling or Chris Bunch.  Both wings that can also play either guard position.

Does this mean Westry is off the board?  I kind of felt like it was him or Copeland but not both

9 minutes ago, tempaccount said:

Does this mean Westry is off the board?  I kind of felt like it was him or Copeland but not both

I was told by my "source" that the coaching staff essentially moved on from Westry about a month ago and turned their focus toward Copeland.  I did notice, however, that Westry included Syracuse in his final 10 schools which were recently announced.  I can't imagine that Westry would commit to Syracuse after Copeland did.  We're going to be loaded at guard, and JG3 will still be on the team for the 22-23 season.

Edit:  The belief is that Westry is a heavy LSU lean, FWIW.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The handle is the thing I'm looking for more than anything from Copeland. He really struggled in those earlier games I watched; was nearing double digit turnovers per game mainly from just losing his dribble, sometimes without any defensive pressure. It definitely looked like he tightened it up at least a bit in some of the more recent footage I've seen but I haven't really had a chance to dive in fully yet.

I've been too busy lately to really keep my ear to the ground, but I had been told a month or so ago that JJ was probably a lost cause, though we're still trying. Bunch seems like he's always been very interested but it's seemed like he might be on our backburner. Sounds like this Dominick Barlow might be the new forward to keep an eye on.

And yeah, re: Westry, I had basically heard that he's always wanted to come to Syracuse but he's not the one in control of his decision and it sounds like he'll be headed elsewhere.

Edited by DCOrange

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

The handle is the thing I'm looking for more than anything from Copeland. He really struggled in those earlier games I watched; was nearing double digit turnovers per game mainly from just losing his dribble, sometimes without any defensive pressure. It definitely looked like he tightened it up at least a bit in some of the more recent footage I've seen but I haven't really had a chance to dive in fully yet.

I've been too busy lately to really keep my ear to the ground, but I had been told a month or so ago that JJ was probably a lost cause, though we're still trying. Bunch seems like he's always been very interested but it's seemed like he might be on our backburner. Sounds like this Dominick Barlow might be the new forward to keep an eye on.

And yeah, re: Westry, I had basically heard that he's always wanted to come to Syracuse but he's not the one in control of his decision and it sounds like he'll be headed elsewhere.

Copeland is likely still a work in progress, but he has incredible tools and size.  Love that he’s going to IMG for his senior year.  I think he’s gonna be a good one.

Heard the same thing about Westry.  Always wanted to go to Syracuse, but his “people” think he should take one of his big SEC offers.  Sounds like LSU is the lead dog.

With regard to Starling, I heard he was Maryland’s to lose.  Still holding out hope though because I really like his skill set.

Love Bunch for his perimeter shooting, but I could see why the staff would be all in on Barlow and Peter Carey to add size/athleticism.  Barlow is quickly becoming a known commodity, however, after his summer play.  

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Copeland is likely still a work in progress, but he has incredible tools and size.  Love that he’s going to IMG for his senior year.  I think he’s gonna be a good one.

Heard the same thing about Westry.  Always wanted to go to Syracuse, but his “people” think he should take one of his big SEC offers.  Sounds like LSU is the lead dog.

With regard to Starling, I heard he was Maryland’s to lose.  Still holding out hope though because I really like his skill set.

Love Bunch for his perimeter shooting, but I could see why the staff would be all in on Barlow and Peter Carey to add size/athleticism.  Barlow is quickly becoming a known commodity, however, after his summer play.  

We get Carey , who I think is going to be rising in the rankings ..

I think we're solidly a top five-seven class in the country 

We are sitting really really good right now.. already the best draft class in a good amount of years

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

We get Carey , who I think is going to be rising in the rankings ..

I think we're solidly a top five-seven class in the country 

We are sitting really really good right now.. already the best draft class in a good amount of years

Yeah, this certainly looks like the best we've had in awhile on paper. Hopefully I'll be able to watch some film of the guys we've gotten at some point this year. I've seen highlights of course but highlights almost always look nice.

Currently the #5 class in the country per 24/7 based on total recruit points and #20 in terms of average recruit ranking. The last time we finished in the top 30 was the 2016 class with Battle, Moyer, and Taurean and our last top 10 class was 2015 with Malachi, Lydon, and Howard.

Edited by DCOrange

And the time to make this jump is now, new coach at UNC and Mike K on his farewell tour.  Jimmy has a window here to make it happen one more time.

haven’t heard much about the Carey kid, just want a big that can catch the ball and make a move in the post.  And bring some value to the pick and roll (teams have ignored our big in that action for years).

• Agree 1