Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Two weeks into the season he's going to be playing forward on the low post lol 

Coaches will say anything to get a good player to commit. Then when he realizes Quincy shoots 28-30% from 3.. he's not going to give Quincy the green light to shoot seven threes a game... Like boeheim

Ask any player that came through Syracuse over 40 years. They all say Jim knows how to put players in their best chance to succeed.. if Jim wasn't letting Quincy plau the perimeter a lot, it's because that's where Quincy wouldn't be the most successful

Jim always has players playing their best role when they're on the court

I will say I really just don't see guard skills in Quincy either lol. Best of luck to him though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I will say I really just don't see guard skills in Quincy either lol. Best of luck to him though.

Absolutely. Thank you for being our best rebounder over 2 years . He was physical!

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Quincy Guerrier officially transferring to Oregon. Says "(Coach Altman) was looking for my position and I was looking for the same thing. I’m going to play more at the three and I’m going to be able to play more on the perimeter and put the ball more on the floor. That was really the main reason why I left Syracuse because I couldn’t really do that. Now I will be able to show my full potential.”

This could go down as possibly the dumbest transfer decision in history. He has everything to lose by transferring and nothing to gain.

Leaving a program with better national exposure, guaranteed 30-40 minutes, knows the system, coaches love him, and I would expect he would have more freedom to play a little on the outside.

Gives all that up for a total unknown in Oregon. Oregon too is stacked at the forward position. When they realize he can’t start at the 3 or play major minutes there, he could end up in a major time share at the 4. 

I feel bad for him. Just totally boneheaded.  He should have just gone pro. 

On 5/20/2021 at 4:22 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Two weeks into the season he's going to be playing forward on the low post lol 

Coaches will say anything to get a good player to commit. Then when he realizes Quincy shoots 28-30% from 3.. he's not going to give Quincy the green light to shoot seven threes a game... Like boeheim

Ask any player that came through Syracuse over 40 years. They all say Jim knows how to put players in their best chance to succeed.. if Jim wasn't letting Quincy plau the perimeter a lot, it's because that's where Quincy wouldn't be the most successful

Jim always has players playing their best role when they're on the court regardless of any other decisions

Disagree.  Just looking at last year's team, Dolezaj wasn't his best as a Center, as Girard wasn't his best as a PG.  

15 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Disagree.  Just looking at last year's team, Dolezaj wasn't his best as a Center, as Girard wasn't his best as a PG.  

Joe Girard has to play point guard in the ACC

He's way too short to play shooting guard

And Marek was forced to play center due to injuries.. and we had really good forward depth

Let alone the fact that the offense was ran through him this year.. a 611 forward center combo.. the offense was ran through him at the top of the key.. Jim always put him in his best spot to succeed offensively

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Joe Girard has to play point guard in the ACC

He's way too short to play shooting guard

And Marek was forced to play center due to injuries

Let alone the fact that the offense was ran through him this year.. a 611 forward center combo.. the offense was ran through him at the top of the key.. Jim always put him in his best spot to succeed offensively

I think it's a case of poor roster management by Boeheim.  I thought that it was odd to rely on a Center with chronic knee problems. Boeheim only played Edwards out of necessity...and it turns out that the kid could play after all.  

Dolezaj was most effective on both ends as a 4.  At least that's my opinion.

I question whether Girard is an average-level starting PG in the ACC, and it has nothing to do with his height.  He has a really hard time beating guys off the dribble and I don't think he's a good decision maker.  If I never see him take another 25+ footer, I'll be thrilled.  Boeheim's affinity for Girard chased off the best PG we had at SU in quite a while.

39 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I think it's a case of poor roster management by Boeheim.  I thought that it was odd to rely on a Center with chronic knee problems. Boeheim only played Edwards out of necessity...and it turns out that the kid could play after all.  

Dolezaj was most effective on both ends as a 4.  At least that's my opinion.

I question whether Girard is an average-level starting PG in the ACC, and it has nothing to do with his height.  He has a really hard time beating guys off the dribble and I don't think he's a good decision maker.  If I never see him take another 25+ footer, I'll be thrilled.  Boeheim's affinity for Girard chased off the best PG we had at SU in quite a while.

Jim gets good point guards all the time

And Girard actually does have pretty tight handles, he just struggles finishing

And struggles like you said with decision making.. but so did Frank Howard for years 

Not saying Richmond wasn't really really good.. but Jim gets really really good guys all the time.. and the history of transfers out of su they don't bode well

And Jesse Edwards has become a mythical figure like Christian Wade.. he played good in some games.. and was absolutely bullied by some teams when he was in.. Jim's legendary at developing players.. you ever think he got better throughout the year so he played more

Marek was our most important player all year like boeheim said, regardless of position and he needed to be out there

Edited by Buffalo716

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jim gets good point guards all the time

And Girard actually does have pretty tight handles

Where he struggles like you said is decision making.. but so did Frank Howard for years

And Jesse Edwards has become a mythical figure like Christian Wade.. he played good in some games.. and was absolutely bullied by some teams when he was in.. Jim's legendary at developing players.. you ever think he got better throughout the year so he played more

Marek was our most important player all year like boeheim said, regardless of position 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Girard.  I think his ball handling is subpar, especially against on-ball pressure.  it's almost hard to believe how infrequently he breaks down a defense off the dribble.

Who was the last "good" PG that stepped on campus and finished his college career at SU?  We have 3 guards next year.  Hopefully, none of them get injured.

Edwards is decent - certainly no worse than a quality backup center.  It was magical how he went from "not being ready" (JB's words) earlier in the year, to all of a sudden becoming a piece of the rotation.  Sadly, JB's prowess in developing players didn't seem to take hold with Griffin and Newton.

Marek was extremely important - he helped bring the ball up court at times because our PG couldn't.  It was tough watching him getting bullied by bigger and stronger players because he was forced to play the 5.  I thought that the kid deserved better.

30 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Girard.  I think his ball handling is subpar, especially against on-ball pressure.  it's almost hard to believe how infrequently he breaks down a defense off the dribble.

Who was the last "good" PG that stepped on campus and finished his college career at SU?  We have 3 guards next year.  Hopefully, none of them get injured.

Edwards is decent - certainly no worse than a quality backup center.  It was magical how he went from "not being ready" (JB's words) earlier in the year, to all of a sudden becoming a piece of the rotation.  Sadly, JB's prowess in developing players didn't seem to take hold with Griffin and Newton.

Marek was extremely important - he helped bring the ball up court at times because our PG couldn't.  It was tough watching him getting bullied by bigger and stronger players because he was forced to play the 5.  I thought that the kid deserved better.

Jim's never had a point guard that had subpar handles.

he struggles with sticky pressure because he has sub par athleticism for the ACC and can't finish at the rim and isnt the best at splitting double teams 

It's not because he doesn't have good handles. 

And Frank Howard was a good point guard. Look how inconsistent we've been since he left .. Gillon was good for his year here

Trevor Cooney Tyler Ennis scoop jardine Brandon Trich Johnny Flynn

There's almost never a bum point guard in orange and white

Edited by Buffalo716

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW....hearing from my peeps that the coaching staff feels really good about getting a commit from this ‘22 SG/SF.  I believe he recently had an official visit.  Charlottesville VA kid who also has interest from UNC and Indiana...among others.

We shall see.  Hearing that he wants to make a decision within the next month 🤞🤞

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

maybe sour grapes by me, but what is the point in playing in a Pac 12 program like Oregon? Unless you are a west coast kid, I really don’t understand it. 

He’s back out in California after whatever happened at Oak Hill Academy.  To his credit, however, it sounds like his decommit from Syracuse was supported (and perhaps encouraged) by the coaching staff.  Looks like he got his academics in order...

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He’s back out in California after whatever happened at Oak Hill Academy.  To his credit, however, it sounds like his decommit from Syracuse was supported (and perhaps encouraged) by the coaching staff.  Looks like he got his academics in order...

welp, stinks for us, but what are you going to do? Plus, I would put it at 50/50 if he even goes to college. Sounds like he might be exploring G league and semi-pro options. 

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

welp, stinks for us, but what are you going to do? Plus, I would put it at 50/50 if he even goes to college. Sounds like he might be exploring G league and semi-pro options. 

Who knows at this point?  Probably better off in the long run.  Talent is undeniable, but I get the impression that Dior is kind of a pain in the ass.  Interesting that he could be playing with Quincy tho.