Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

30 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Buh bye Marek 🤞

Probably will go down as one of my favorite Cuse players of all time.  Hope he can find some decent pizza in Slovakia.

Replacing he and Kadary's passing next season is not going to be an easy task. Definitely one of my favorite players ever too; still remember watching his grainy European footage when he committed to us out of the blue.

32 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Buh bye Marek 🤞

Probably will go down as one of my favorite Cuse players of all time.  Hope he can find some decent pizza in Slovakia.

He's been on the record that he likes pizza in Slovakia better than the US 😂

Absolutely one of my favorite players

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Replacing he and Kadary's passing next season is not going to be an easy task. Definitely one of my favorite players ever too; still remember watching his grainy European footage when he committed to us out of the blue.

Fun player to watch.  Definitely brought a unique European feel to the team.  And boy could the man take a charge! 😂

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fun player to watch.  Definitely brought a unique European feel to the team.  And boy could the man take a charge! 😂

Best at taking charges that we've had since Fab Melo (RIP) who was also one of my absolute favorites ever to watch

Was able to find some full game videos of at least a couple of our recruiting targets yesterday. I'm too busy with QB film to really dive into it now, but I watched like half a game of Chance Westry and Quadir Copeland. It shouldn't really be surprising considering his recruiting rank, but Chance looks great. Seems to handle and pass the ball as well with his left hand as his right, can get into his pull-up jumper smoothly, and in general has a nice handle on the ball.

I know some people are super high on Quadir; I've seen some say he's a 5 star talent that just hasn't popped on the scene yet (he's currently ranked around 150 in his class on 247) and a lot of fans think he's the kind of PG we haven't had at SU in a long time. The half of a game I watched was from about a year ago, so maybe he's improved since then (or maybe it was just a bad game), but he seems to have a very shaky handle on the ball. I think he had 7 turnovers in the first half alone, and all but one of them was just him losing his handle, sometimes without even being impacted by the defender. There were a couple other times too where he didn't turn it over but simply had a hard time picking his dribble up or kinda bobbled the ball as he tried to branch into different moves. He definitely shows flashes of really nice passing vision but I'm not sure he's a PG yet with his handle, much less a great one. Does a nice job of using his long legs to create better angles for himself when he's driving though. I'm really curious to see more of him because he just didn't look nearly as good as I expected based on what I've heard from other people.

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I thought it was a heart thing, no?

I definitely remember it being reported as a heart attack.

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I thought it was a heart thing, no?

i remember thinking the whole thing was a little sketchy. Like they thought it was a heart attack, but there wasn’t any official report. Given that he died in Brazil too, I am not sure if they looked into it as thoroughly as if it had happened in the US. I would think that they would figure out the cause for sure given that you had a healthy 26-year old who died in his sleep. 

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Watched an interview with Kamari Lands today, and he said that he was recruited by Syracuse to play SG.  Interesting with his size and skill set. 

In all the interviews I've seen with him he just keeps saying the wing, and that he can play one two or three 

At the end of the day besides the defensive positioning,  boeheim's two and three are basically the same Wing role , interchangeable 

I'd say boeheims traditional offense over the last 10 years has been one point guard three wings and a center

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

In all the interviews I've seen with him he just keeps saying the wing, and that he can play one two or three 

At the end of the day besides the defensive positioning,  boeheim's two and three are basically the same Wing role , interchangeable 

I'd say boeheims traditional offense over the last 10 years has been one point guard three wings and a center

True enough.  Although, in the interview he said that he wants to play guard in the NBA.  Said that was one of Syracuse’s selling points...him being able to further hone his skills as a shooting guard.  I gotta see if I can find that interview....

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

True enough.  Although, in the interview he said that he wants to play guard in the NBA.  Said that was one of Syracuse’s selling points...him being able to further hone his skills as a shooting guard.  I gotta see if I can find that interview....

I wouldn't mind it, he would bring great length to the top of the zone 

Andrew White was a 6-7 shooting guard here if I recall correctly.. and I think he(lands) has more experience at the two spot... Him and Benny will be a magical combo

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't mind it, he would bring great length to the top of the zone 

Andrew White was a 6-7 shooting guard here if I recall correctly.. and I think he(lands) has more experience at the two spot... Him and Benny will be a magical combo

Yes, if either Benny stays for more than one season or Lands reclassifies.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everything I've read about Benny, says he's probably a two and done guy 

He could probably be a lottery pick as a sophomore

What have you been reading? 🤣

I would be amazed if Benny stayed more than one season, but I like your optimism 👍

This is the interview I was referencing.  Jason Dumas is a Newhouse grad and a really fun guy to drink with, BTW. 😂
Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I would be amazed if Benny stayed more than one season, but I like your optimism 👍

I mean he's not a top 10 recruit. It's far from a slam dunk that he's one and done 

And Jim's history of those not top 10 ranked recruits are usually 2-year guys if my memory serves.  Besides Malachi.. Fab , MCW, Grant, Waiters, all were 2 year cats that jim got into the lottery

It's going to be hard for Benny to get into the lottery after his freshman year

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean he's not a top 10 recruit. It's far from a slam dunk that he's one and done 

And Jim's history of those 25th ranked recruits are usually 2-year guys.. because he gets them in the lottery

It's going to be hard for Benny to get into the lottery after his freshman year

I definitely hope you are right!

58 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I definitely hope you are right!

How lucky are we Jim saw lands at an open gym when they were scouting Isaiah stewart 2 years ago 

So they were able to start a relationship as soon as sophomore communication started at end of year 

And be basically his first scholarship

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This is the interview I was referencing.  Jason Dumas is a Newhouse grad and a really fun guy to drink with, BTW. 😂

Man having him as a 6'8 2 guard , in boeheims system... 

Bad things man

This kid might hop in to the top 10 of his class when all is said and done... GMac really stepped up getting him

• Like (+1) 1

Not meaning to detail the thread, but I have a buddy who likes to collect sports memorabilia etc. He asked me if I would like a scoop autographed pic, I said sure but I wouldn’t enter in one of those random auctions for a lot for him. He said he wouldn’t do more than like $5 or $10.

Welp he ended up winning it and mailed it to me and it arrived today (he didn’t charge me anything btw, such a good friend) 

He also snuck in an autographed TO pic of when he was with the bills 

• Like (+1) 2