Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Boeheim would have had Richmond in the first round eventually 

Something tells me he's not going in the first round from Seton Hall.. which has only developed one first round pick in 20 years 

And one second round pick in the last 10 

He would have been developed much better at Syracuse despite maybe a few less minutes

Eh. I think he likely gets to the first round whether he's at Syracuse or (insert lowly D1 school here). Seems like the decision here was coming off the bench for a top 40ish team vs. starting for a top 40ish team. Seems like he made a good choice to me; hopefully he beats up on UConn before he leaves.

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

This off-season’s blood letting continues.  I just hope they can bring in more than Swider and Jimmy B Jr. With 1000+ players entered into the portal, they should be able to pluck a couple of nice players.  

The tricky part is that it seems like pretty much all of our minutes next year are likely spoken for at this point between Girard, Buddy, Benny, Swider, Jesse, Symir, and Jimmy (and especially so if Guerrier or Griffin return as well). I'm not sure we're likely to land other good transfers with little playing time to offer and if we land any late-deciding freshmen, there's a pretty good chance they just ride the bench and look for their next transfer destination next year like we're experiencing with last year's freshmen class now. We're in a tough position right now with little playing time to offer but a lot of available scholarships.

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Eh. I think he likely gets to the first round whether he's at Syracuse or (insert lowly D1 school here). Seems like the decision here was coming off the bench for a top 40ish team vs. starting for a top 40ish team. Seems like he made a good choice to me; hopefully he beats up on UConn before he leaves.

Kadary had a good freshman campaign 

But there are a lot of point guards and combo guards that he's going to have to jump to get into the first round conversation in the next year or 2

And it doesn't help that Seton Hall can't get guys drafted 

And it's hard to call Seton Hall a top 40 team when they've only been to the round of 32 once in the last 10 years, hasn't gone to a sweet 16 in over 20

Syracuse is a much better program , especially at developing talent 

But I wish him the best

Edited by Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kadary had a good freshman campaign 

But there are a lot of point guards and combo guards that he's going to have to jump to get into the first round conversation in the next year or 2

And it doesn't help that Seton Hall can't get guys drafted 

And it's hard to call Seton Hall a top 40 team when they've only been to the round of 32 once in the last 10 years, hasn't gone to a sweet 16 in over 20

Syracuse is a much better program , especially at developing talent 

But I wish him the best

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Seton Hall and Syracuse are both generally around the top 40 or so at this point. Last year's Seton Hall team was probably better than any of our recent teams. At any rate, both of our programs are just annual bubble watch teams at this point with no hopes of being a true contender.

We aren't exactly an NBA factory anymore either. Our last 1st round pick was Lydon and our last NBA player of any relevance was Jerami Grant 8 years ago. The NBA doesn't really care where you play anymore; they'll find guys anywhere. If Kadary plays the way he did for Syracuse this year but does it with more minutes that he'll likely be getting at Seton Hall, he'll end up in the NBA. He was already getting NBA buzz this season despite coming off the bench behind Girard.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Seton Hall and Syracuse are both generally around the top 40 or so at this point. Last year's Seton Hall team was probably better than any of our recent teams. At any rate, both of our programs are just annual bubble watch teams at this point with no hopes of being a true contender.

We aren't exactly an NBA factory anymore either. Our last 1st round pick was Lydon and our last NBA player of any relevance was Jerami Grant 8 years ago. The NBA doesn't really care where you play anymore; they'll find guys anywhere. If Kadary plays the way he did for Syracuse this year but does it with more minutes that he'll likely be getting at Seton Hall, he'll end up in the NBA. He was already getting NBA buzz this season despite coming off the bench behind Girard.

Having relationship with NBA scouts absolutely matter and Jim has them... It doesn't matter what the players do once they get there because that's on the player not the school.. and let's be real the sanctions hurt

And despite being on the bubble for the last five six years consistently, Syracuse actually makes sweet 16 and  elite 8 runs.. it is absolutely still a top 25 program... Which we actually just finished ranked today... And some early forecasts have us ranked next year

I guarantee Seton Hall won't be ranked 

Since 2010 Syracuse ranks 6 in the country in first round picks.. and that's without 3 years of a first round pick

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1

@DCOrangecan you agree to this?

Since 2010 SU is 6th in producing 1st round talent... Only behind Kentucky, Duke , NC, kansas and Texas 

Clearly the sanctions hurt as we both agree. But we are bouncing back and recruiting, no? 

Legitimate five-star small forward Benny Williams is a monster, and our classes might start having guys like him again on the reg 

If Jim can start recruiting at that level again the program should bounce back?

Edited by Buffalo716

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

@DCOrangecan you agree to this?

Since 2010 SU is 6th in producing 1st round talent... Only behind Kentucky, Duke , NC, kansas and Texas 

Clearly the sanctions hurt as we both agree. But we are bouncing back and recruiting, no? 

Legitimate five-star small forward Benny Williams is a monster, and our classes might start having guys like him again on the reg 

If Jim can start recruiting at that level again the program should bounce back?

Benny seems to be an awesome get. I haven't watched him personally as I can't find any of his team's games, but from everything I've read, he sounds like the real deal. I want to see us continue bringing in big time recruits like him. Kadary was on that level IMO but obviously we ended up screwing that up. Seems like we got unlucky with Bazley and Dior in recent years. I don't think it's a safe bet that we climb out of the relative rut that we've been in (not like we've totally bottomed out or anything, but being a bubble team every year is disappointing to me) but it's entirely possible that we could rebound from this. I think we're probably at least 2 years away from me feeling like the program is headed in the right direction again.

Edit: I don't get the sense that we really expect to land anyone like Benny in the 2022 class; seems like we have a pretty decent shot at a guy in the 80-100 range, but everyone else that we feel decently good about is outside the top 100 (though that can obviously change over the next year).

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

Syracuse is definitely head and shoulders above Seton Hall purely due to the increased national exposure of playing in the ACC vs the Big East.  This is a major head scratcher for me.  I thought for sure he would end up at Florida State or somewhere else comparable.  Still, I blame Boeheim for Kadary entering the transfer portal.

Oh, the cautionary tale of Taurean Thompson.  Poor Kadary...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Welp, we just landed a top 40 recruit out of nowhere lol. Not totally nowhere but there hadn't been an update on him in awhile and he just committed out of the blue.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kamari-Lands-46059436/

I would like to revise my "Not expected to land anyone outside of an 80-100 ranked guy in the 2022 class" statement from before lol

56 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Syracuse is definitely head and shoulders above Seton Hall purely due to the increased national exposure of playing in the ACC vs the Big East.  This is a major head scratcher for me.  I thought for sure he would end up at Florida State or somewhere else comparable.  Still, I blame Boeheim for Kadary entering the transfer portal.

Oh, the cautionary tale of Taurean Thompson.  Poor Kadary...

I thought he was headed to UConn to be honest. Love that he'll hopefully get to beat up on them instead.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Welp, we just landed a top 40 recruit out of nowhere lol. Not totally nowhere but there hadn't been an update on him in awhile and he just committed out of the blue.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kamari-Lands-46059436/

I thought he was headed to UConn to be honest. Love that he'll hopefully get to beat up on them instead.

I ***** hate UCONN.  Sounds like Lands wanted to play with Benny.  He may re-classify to ‘21.

Man, this kid is a STUD!  Great job by GMac to reel this kid in.  The more I watch, the more he reminds me of Malachi Richardson.  Probably a one or two year player.  Great news!!!

Edit: https://247sports.com/player/chance-westry-46093860/

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Man, this kid is a STUD!  Great job by GMac to reel this kid in.  The more I watch, the more he reminds me of Malachi Richardson.  Probably a one or two year player.  Great news!!!

Edit: https://247sports.com/player/chance-westry-46093860/

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

Are you saying Kamari reminds you of Malachi or Chance? Have you heard anything on Chance lately? I haven't heard anything since probably like October or November, but back then, I had been told we had more or less moved on from him. The only PG I've heard mentioned recently for us is Quadir Copeland.

I expect a great 22 and 23 class 

I don't expect many 300th ranked recruits anymore.. I expected Jim to grab his 5* every 1-2 years and a host of top 100 players 

I honestly believe the program is bouncing back from sanctions.. and we should see more kids commiting with the talents we are used too

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Kinda interesting to see Syracuse ranked in the top 15 of a few “early ranking” articles I have read.

I do think Swider is going to be an upgrade over Braswell, and Edwards and Guerrier will get a lot better. I also get the sense that Griffen may be back. 

I've never been one to think that Syracuse is done as a program. The sanctions hurt

They are bouncing back and Jim can still recruit

24 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've never been one to think that Syracuse is done as a program. The sanctions hurt

They are bouncing back and Jim can still recruit

agreed. People forget about Bazley too. That was just bad luck. If he had played his one year even, it would have boosted our recovery even more. 

The thing that stings now is that we look like we are losing an entire good class to the transfer portal (Richmond, Newton, and probably Anselem). But I think every team is losing guys, so it’s a bit of a wash. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agreed. People forget about Bazley too. That was just bad luck. If he had played his one year even, it would have boosted our recovery even more. 

The thing that stings now is that we look like we are losing an entire good class to the transfer portal (Richmond, Newton, and probably Anselem). But I think every team is losing guys, so it’s a bit of a wash. 

Absolutely it's a wash 

We landed kamari lands today... And benny is coming in this class 

And don't be surprised to see a donovan clingon in 22 

We also had dior until he probably had some problems... Jim is getting elite recruit's again

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Are you saying Kamari reminds you of Malachi or Chance? Have you heard anything on Chance lately? I haven't heard anything since probably like October or November, but back then, I had been told we had more or less moved on from him. The only PG I've heard mentioned recently for us is Quadir Copeland.

Lands reminds me of Malachi, yes.  I have received encouraging info about Chance Westry.   Especially within the last 24 hours within the Lands commit.  Sounds like we’re a lean over Maryland?   Also a couple more top guys we have a chance at with the 2022 class.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Lands reminds me of Malachi, yes.  I have received encouraging info about Chance Westry.   Especially within the last 24 hours within the Lands commit.  Sounds like we’re a lean over Maryland?   Also a couple more top guys we have a chance at with the 2022 class.  

I always felt chance was coming here ever since the Dior commitment.. but since he decommitted I was wondering where he was leaning