Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thanks bud just wondering. You've always been plugged in

Yeah 🍊brotha.  I still have connects on the hill.  I’ll be sure to share if I hear something, and I check in with my “sources” regularly.  Pretty sure @DCOrange has some connects too.

You gotta take all this stuff for what it is it is though.  My guy within the athletic dept told me Kadary was staying about 3 hours before It was announced on Twitter that he was entering the transfer portal 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah 🍊brotha.  I still have connects on the hill.  I’ll be sure to share if I hear something, and I check in with my “sources” regularly.  Pretty sure @DCOrange has some connects too.

You gotta take all this stuff for what it is it is though.  My guy within the athletic dept told me Kadary was staying about 3 hours before It was announced on Twitter that he was entering the transfer portal 🤣

No I hear you. Everybody I talk to on the hill seems clueless when the news comes out lol 

But you've actually been right over all these years I've talked to you, more than wrong, so I know you got some sources on the hill

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I haven’t heard anything regarding Griffin since all the initial movement we’ve had. I think I mentioned it in here before but I was told to expect:

Guerrier to test the draft waters (and I think he likely moves on)

Dolezaj to go pro overseas

Sidibe to leave

Newton and Griffin to leave

Frank and Kadary were toss ups

I think the school is still expecting Woody to ultimately leave but I think Braswell leaving improved our odds a little bit.

Nothing new re: Griffin but Adam Zagoria reported a day or two ago that Griffin is expected to leave. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am sort of fascinated by this transfer portal, and the timing of it all.

Some guys have declared early, Some are waiting on specific moves by other players, and some seem to just be waiting. There’s a lot of strategy, but it seems like there is imperfect “market” information for students because of coaches not being able to communicate with students until they enter the portal. 

Also, as far as I know, there is no deadline to enter into the portal. But I have to think that if you wait too long to enter, you will mostly hurt your chances. 

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I haven’t heard anything regarding Griffin since all the initial movement we’ve had. I think I mentioned it in here before but I was told to expect:

Guerrier to test the draft waters (and I think he likely moves on)

Dolezaj to go pro overseas

Sidibe to leave

Newton and Griffin to leave

Frank and Kadary were toss ups

I think the school is still expecting Woody to ultimately leave but I think Braswell leaving improved our odds a little bit.

Nothing new re: Griffin but Adam Zagoria reported a day or two ago that Griffin is expected to leave. 

I honestly couldn't care less about Griffin.  He is so inconsistent...I don't know if I can deal with another season of his crap.  The ones I'm really hoping will stick around are Frank Anselem and Woody Newton.  Ultimately, I think Guerrier will be back after being evaluated by the NBA.  I agree that Braswell leaving may help our odds with Woody a little bit.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I honestly couldn't care less about Griffin.  He is so inconsistent...I don't know if I can deal with another season of his crap.  The ones I'm really hoping will stick around are Frank Anselem and Woody Newton.  Ultimately, I think Guerrier will be back after being evaluated by the NBA.  I agree that Braswell leaving may help our odds with Woody a little bit.

I’d happily take any and all of them back. I’m a bit worried about our shot creation if Griffin is gone. Kadary, Griffin, and Buddy were our best in that regard last year and I don’t have much faith in the rest of the team being better there. 

21 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I’d happily take any and all of them back. I’m a bit worried about our shot creation if Griffin is gone. Kadary, Griffin, and Buddy were our best in that regard last year and I don’t have much faith in the rest of the team being better there. 

Five star Benny Williams

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Cole Swider...Jim Boeheim Jr?

Both look to be realistic transfer options and both can shoot it.

FWIW...I’m hearing

Griffin...gone

Woody...gone (especially if Cole commits)

Sidibe...there is some optimism

Anselem...No idea.

I think Cole is a legitimate option. There was a lot of interest in high school, and he is a great forward option for the orange

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Cole Swider...Jim Boeheim Jr?

Both look to be realistic transfer options and both can shoot it.

FWIW...I’m hearing

Griffin...gone

Woody...gone (especially if Cole commits)

Sidibe...there is some optimism

Anselem...No idea.

Cole is definitely a shooter. I have no doubt about that. I definitely have doubts about him creating shots himself, but if we get him, we can use him in that Lydon role offensively with pick and pops or my favorite: screening the screener to free him up. I think he’ll definitely add a dimension to the team we were lacking with Dolezaj/Quincy as our big men (though other aspects of their game will be sorely missed)

Jimmy has generally been a pretty poor shooter.

No doubt Benny should theoretically be able to replace some of the shot creation, but barring internal developments (which I’m optimistic about with Buddy but not so much the rest), it’s probably going to be worse than it was this past year.

Also, the optimistic part of this is our offense was quietly very very good this past season; Jim did a much better job than past years of having a real offensive system to generate ball movement and open looks for players that would otherwise struggle creating shots. If we can maintain the offense or come close, that would be great. The defense was our weakness the majority of the year. 

Edited by DCOrange

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Cole is definitely a shooter. I have no doubt about that. I definitely have doubts about him creating shots himself, but if we get him, we can use him in that Lydon role offensively with pick and pops or my favorite: screening the screener to free him up. I think he’ll definitely add a dimension to the team we were lacking with Dolezaj/Quincy as our big men (though other aspects of their game will be sorely missed)

No doubt Benny should theoretically be able to replace some of the shot creation, but barring internal developments (which I’m optimistic about with Buddy but not so much the rest), it’s probably going to be worse than it was this past year.

Also, the optimistic part of this is our offense was quietly very very good this past season; Jim did a much better job than past years of having a real offensive system to generate ball movement and open looks for players that would otherwise struggle creating shots. If we can maintain the offense or come close, that would be great. The defense was our weakness the majority of the year. 

Defense was absolutely the problem 

This was statistically Jim's best offensive team in like six or seven years

They need to get their defensive rotations figured out

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

to your last point, this is one of the few Syracuse teams over the last several years that was a joy to watch on offense. Maybe one of the best since the Andy Rautins/Onauaku tourney teams. Multiple shooters. A few guys that could create their own shots. Pretty good movement. Great passing by Marek and Kadary. 

in years past, the offense has grown stagnant with a lot of iso and pick and rolls that basically devolve into iso. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

to your last point, this is one of the few Syracuse teams over the last several years that was a joy to watch on offense. Maybe one of the best since the Andy Rautins/Onauaku tourney teams. Multiple shooters. A few guys that could create their own shots. Pretty good movement. Great passing by Marek and Kadary. 

in years past, the offense has grown stagnant with a lot of iso and pick and rolls that basically devolve into iso. 

Marek is gonna be missed. He was so valuable, so much of the stuff he does doesn't show up on the box score 

And he literally passed like magic hahah advanced stats put him at 1st or 2nd most valuable player the last 2 years

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Marek is gonna be missed. He was so valuable, so much of the stuff he does doesn't show up on the box score 

And he literally passed like magic hahah advanced stats put him at 1st or 2nd most valuable player the last 2 years

Agreed. I really believe he is continuing to get better too— wouldn’t surprise me to see him become a proficient 3-point shooter soon.

what I don’t get with guys like Marek that are definitely Going overseas— why not just Stick Around for another year in college?  Another year of fun in college to replace the covid-riddled year he just had. These are the best times of their lives!!  I wish I could have stayed in college 5 years (in a non-flunky way).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. I really believe he is continuing to get better too— wouldn’t surprise me to see him become a proficient 3-point shooter soon.

what I don’t get with guys like Marek that are definitely Going overseas— why not just Stick Around for another year in college?  Another year of fun in college to replace the covid-riddled year he just had. These are the best times of their lives!!  I wish I could have stayed in college 5 years (in a non-flunky way).

Who knows. He hasn't said he's leaving yet 

Boeheim IS a players coach.. he will tell him to take the money , that he's done everything and more he could do 

But if marek wants to come back.. I'm sure Jim will have a stiffy

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Who knows. He hasn't said he's leaving yet 

Boeheim IS a players coach.. he will tell him to take the money , that he's done everything and more he could do 

But if marek wants to come back.. I'm sure Jim will have a stiffy

gross dumb and dumber GIF

• Haha (+1) 2