Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

17 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Remember this guy?  ‘Cuse was heavily involved in his recruitment prior to his commitment to Nova.

Edit: I am hearing that there is mutual interest and this will go down quickly wherever he decides to transfer.  Good shooter.

Be a huge get 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Sure, we've had some fluky runs. That doesn't make us a top 25 program. The last time we were considered a top 25 team in the country was 2014; we used to be there nearly every single season from the 80s through 2014. Be it the sanctions, people just not wanting to deal with Jim anymore, or something else, the program has undeniably fallen off from where it used to be. Those schools are better than us more often than not now.

There has also been a lot of non traditional top 25 schools start showing up.  The NCAA tournament is showing that non-power schools can make runs which in turn brings in "better" recruits.  Duke, Kentucky and Carolina didn't make the tournament this year (albeit a very unorthodox year).  Boeheim still coaches the hell out of his players.  Unfortunately social media is a huge factor in putting ideas in kids heads leading to transfer or pros

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Remember this guy?  ‘Cuse was heavily involved in his recruitment prior to his commitment to Nova.

Edit: I am hearing that there is mutual interest and this will go down quickly wherever he decides to transfer.  Good shooter.

This would be an exciting flier to take. Certainly not an Allen Griffin level transfer here, but as far as taking a gamble on a guy that didn't showcase much with his previous team, Swider is the kind that excites me. In the very least, I'm confident he can be a knockdown shooter which is huge for a PF.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This would be an exciting flier to take. Certainly not an Allen Griffin level transfer here, but as far as taking a gamble on a guy that didn't showcase much with his previous team, Swider is the kind that excites me. In the very least, I'm confident he can be a knockdown shooter which is huge for a PF.

Yeah, 6’9” 230 lb guys who can shoot around 40% from outside are cool with me 🤷🏻‍♂️

He might fit in quite well.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It is looking like Florida state is in the Lead to snag Kadary. That would be a really nice move for him, IMO. Stinks too for us, because we will have to face him and be filled with regret. 

Whatever 

Kadary Richmond isn't going to be the end of Syracuse basketball. 

Jim boeheim has recruited better and will again

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Is it surprising? Think about it honestly

Jim played waiters off the bench for triche..  mcw off the bench for scoop jardine 

Cj fair off the bench for kris Joseph

Jerami grant off the bench etc 

He likes getting fresh energy, with good players off the bench.. he's always subbed in a star

I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'm just saying I had this feeling

It's wrong and this is why Boeheim never reached Elite coaching status.

He might be the most stubborn coach in CBB. 

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's wrong and this is why Boeheim never reached Elite coaching status.

He might be the most stubborn coach in CBB. 

He is still absolutely an elite coach. Just cuz you're a  notch below Coach k doesn't mean you aren't elite

They both will back each other till the day they die because they both feed off their basketball knowledge 

And Coach k works with top 5-15 recruits that their goal is one and done or 2.. Jim gets the 98th ranked recruit and develops them into NBA players.. he needs them to stay for 3 years, because Syracuse can't afford one and done like Duke

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is still absolutely an elite coach. Just cuz you're a  notch below Coach k doesn't mean you're elite

They both will back each other till the day they die because they both feed off their basketball knowledge

I've noticed you're very defensive of Boeheim.

Let's just be realistic about what "Elite" in CBB is.  It means multiple national championships.  I'm sorry... but that's what it means to me.

There are 15 College Basketball coaches in CBB coaching history with multiple national championships.  Jimmy isn't one of them.  And he's one of the longest tenured coaches of all coaches... so he's had as many or more opportunities.

He's a fantastic coach.  But he's not Elite.  He holds himself back in too many ways.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I've noticed you're very defensive of Boeheim.

Let's just be realistic about what "Elite" in CBB is.  It means multiple national championships.  I'm sorry... but that's what it means to me.

There are 15 College Basketball coaches in CBB coaching history with multiple national championships.  Jimmy isn't one of them.  And he's one of the longest tenured coaches of all coaches... so he's had as many or more opportunities.

He's a fantastic coach.  But he's not Elite.  He holds himself back in too many ways.

He turned Syracuse into a basketball powerhouse. Maybe not currently but it was, and can be.. and it's hard to recruit from the Northeast

20+ sweet 16s, 8 elite 8s, 5 final fours, 3 championship games, 1 natl.. the numbers are elite

And he has turned it into one of the best NBA factories. The number support it 

Jim has shown he could recruit and develop talent over 45 years at an elite level while not recruiting top 10 talent consistently

Edited by Buffalo716

The Boeheim slander on here is flat out embarrassing.  Ask coach K, Roy Williams, or Tom Izzo if they think JB is an elite coach...they’d probably sock you in the face just for asking.  He’s a hall of famer and one of the best college basketball coaches of all time, so stop the nonsense.  Jim coached the hell out of the team this year....this was clearly evident down the stretch to anyone who knows the game.

That said, I have migrated to the camp that feels that it is time for him to move on.  While I feel that he is still a very good coach, teaching wise, his style and the way he interacts with many of his players doesn’t appear to work well with the college athletes of today.  This is hurting recruiting and player retention.

I am hopeful that he will step down with grace and humility when Buddy graduates.  This program could use some infusion of youth at the helm.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The Boeheim slander on here is flat out embarrassing.  Ask coach K, Roy Williams, or Tom Izzo if they think JB is an elite coach...they’d probably sock you in the face just for asking.  He’s a hall of famer and one of the best college basketball coaches of all time, so stop the nonsense.  Jim coached the hell out of the team this year....this was clearly evident down the stretch to anyone who knows the game.

That said, I have migrated to the camp that feels that it is time for him to move on.  While I feel that he is still a very good coach, teaching wise, his style and the way he interacts with many of his players doesn’t appear to work well with the college athletes of today.  This is hurting recruiting and player retention.

I am hopeful that he will step down with grace and humility when Buddy graduates.  This program could use some infusion of youth at the helm.  

well said. Expresses my views too. I have never really criticized JB (maybe griped at times regarding some tactical issues).  But he has had a terrific run of success and turned the Syracuse program into a powerhouse. 

I also expect the program to take a dip when he retires. I think it’s inevitable. These young coaches have up and down seasons, and cycle through programs. People will miss the luxury of having a steady veteran head coach. 

I think his time is due, but i also think he's earned the privilege to coach Buddy and possibly Jimmy, then he can bow out gracefully.  I am ok with that because i think both of his boys are highly talented players and do not hurt this program one bit by being on the team. 

Anyone saying Boeheim isn't elite is fuc**ng crazy.  15 coaches with multiple NCAA championships is a BS comparison....9 of the 15 are boehiem contemporaries, 3 of those i've never heard of and the rest are mid 20th century.   Boehiem brings top 20 talent to a school that is in the snowiest large metropolitan area in the country, syracuse is a place that syracuse people can't wait to leave yet he gets blue chip recruits time and time again.  He's approaching 80(?) and he still leads a bunch of no-bodies to the final 16 teams in the country.  There is absolutely no argument against him being an elite coach.  is he a prick, sure, but not elite....f-no

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

How has Hopkins been doing out at UW? Would he be willing to come back if Jim leaves?

How about GMac as a head coach possibly?

Trying to think of a possible replacement if/when JB leaves

Hopkins has been underperforming, and yes there is still been rumors that he might come back when Jim retires

He is one of the best recruiters in the country

• Thank you (+1) 1

This would be fantastic...as much as i love GMac and Autry et al, I don't think they are ready to be HC at this level.  They need a few more years, or some mid level schools and hopefully have the desire to come back if the opportunity ever presented itself

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hopkins has been underperforming, and yes there is still been rumors that he might come back when Jim retires

He is one of the best recruiters in the country

5 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

This would be fantastic...as much as i love GMac and Autry et al, I don't think they are ready to be HC at this level.  They need a few more years, or some mid level schools and hopefully have the desire to come back if the opportunity ever presented itself

Well you might get to see the chance. he is definitely on thin ice at Washington

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

i was thinking the same thing about Gmac and Autry, and then realized that they have been on the staff for like 10 years. Time flies! 

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i was thinking the same thing about Gmac and Autry, and then realized that they have been on the staff for like 10 years. Time flies! 

Yeah Gmac has been there for awhile now, he seems to have a good rapport with the players, and we know about his desire to win. I am not sure about his coaching acumen, but would love to see him get a shot.