Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was surprised with JB’s presser answer re Edwards being “tired.” I think he could have given him a quick breather and used his own TO’s and the TV TO’s, and Edwards may have only needed to go out for like 3-4

total game minutes. 

Edwards was a game changer on defense. Probably his best game. 

That said, our O was stymied all night anyway. We made 13 shots! We needed someone to hit some outside shots— JG started to at the end, but it was too late. 

Yeah, you don’t win many games when you have that much trouble scoring. A big part of that loss was Buddy coming back down to earth. He carried that team from the tournament on. I’m not placing blame on him, but they needed him to be spectacular to win. 

Edited by SirAndrew

26 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They both are in all likelihood. We’re going to have 4-6 guys to replace this offseason. 

Ugh. I really had high hopes for Newton. I don’t quite get why he was pulled out of the rotation as the season went on. In early action, he looked great. 

Do you think there’s any risk of Richmond transferring? That would be absolutely devastating. 

38 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Ugh. I really had high hopes for Newton. I don’t quite get why he was pulled out of the rotation as the season went on. In early action, he looked great. 

Do you think there’s any risk of Richmond transferring? That would be absolutely devastating. 

Yes, there’s definitely a risk of him leaving. The current sentiment seems to be that we aren’t really expecting him back but he isn’t a lock to leave. Dolezaj, Sidibe, Griffin, and Newton are pretty much considered locks. Other people are hearing Guerrier is likely out and Kadary might be; I personally haven’t heard anything about either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Yes, there’s definitely a risk of him leaving. The current sentiment seems to be that we aren’t really expecting him back but he isn’t a lock to leave. Dolezaj, Sidibe, Griffin, and Newton are pretty much considered locks. Other people are hearing Guerrier is likely out and Kadary might be; I personally haven’t heard anything about either.

Boeheim says if sidibe is healthy he will return

As for the transfers. Id be surprised if richmond did.. as we only have 2 PGs and he's guaranteed good time.. he knew he wasn't playing 30 minutes a game.. 

Boeheim has always had freshman point guards in a timeshare.. besides Ennis 

Boeheim was the ONLY coach recruiting Kadary as a PG... Which we all know he is deft... Other coaches we're recruiting him as a small forward 

Jim still knows what he's doing with recruits and I think he can sway Kooks. He lets him do his thing on the court

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Boeheim says if sidibe is healthy he will return

As for the transfers. Id be surprised if richmond did.. as we only have 2 PGs and he's guaranteed good time.. he knew he wasn't playing 30 minutes a game.. 

Boeheim has always had freshman point guards in a timeshare.. besides Ennis

And Girard himself

Just now, DCOrange said:

And Girard himself

There was no competition for Girard. Carey was a bust who couldn't play... Howard washington had a stroke and brycen goodine wasn't developed enough

Girard would've played 10 minutes a game , if there was an established vet.. Girard responded well but Jim wouldn't have been playing him if he didn't have to

I will say the positive here is that there will be a lot of guys looking to transfer, and I think we can get a definite short-term upgrade in terms of losing one of the underclassmen transfers for a grad transfer with a lot of experience. 

I would love to get a kid like the UNC power forward (Manley)— 6’11”, 255 pounds. 

I guess we’ll see with Sidibe. Maybe we already know he isn’t healthy, but multiple sources have made it known Sidibe is almost certainly gone.

re: Kadary, idk if it’s all about playing time but I think it could boil down to the exit meetings. If Boeheim is saying it’ll be a platoon with Joe again next year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kadary go somewhere with more minutes available. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be playing over 30 minutes a game. 

Oh, and everyone I’ve spoken to thinks it’s a lock that Jimmy Boeheim transfers in to give us some help at the forward position. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I guess we’ll see with Sidibe. Maybe we already know he isn’t healthy, but multiple sources have made it known Sidibe is almost certainly gone.

re: Kadary, idk if it’s all about playing time but I think it could boil down to the exit meetings. If Boeheim is saying it’ll be a platoon with Joe again next year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kadary go somewhere with more minutes available. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be playing over 30 minutes a game. 

Oh, and everyone I’ve spoken to thinks it’s a lock that Jimmy Boeheim transfers in to give us some help at the forward position. 

Really? Where does he slot ? A 3 and D at the 4 spot , or is he a 3?

And boeheim needs to make it work with Girard and kooks.. Girard is still an underclassmen with unlimited range

If I had to bet I would say he's going to be really really good next year.. and that's not to say that kadary isn't going to be the better player 

they just have different roles and both roles are really valuable to the team.. a small ball lineup at times with kooks, Girard , buddy, guerrier(boeheim?), Edwards has a lot of scoring potential

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Really? Where does he slot ? A 3 and D at the 4 spot 

And boeheim needs to make it work with Girard and kooks.. Girard is still an underclassmen with unlimited range

If I had to bet I would say he's going to be really really good next year.. and that's not to say that kadary isn't going to be the better player 

they just have different roles and both roles are really valuable to the team.. a small ball lineup at times with kooks, Girard , buddy, guerrier(boeheim?), Edwards has a lot of scoring potential

I think Jimmy shot like 29% from 3 this year so not sure he’s much of a shooter but he was very productive for Cornell this past year. Honestly don’t know much about him as a player.

I think Joe can be good in a bench gunner role but it’s hard for me to ever see him being a greatly impactful player. Just an okay shooter and caretaker of the ball and he’s pretty much useless inside the 3 point line and a negative on defense. Unless they develop their games in unforeseen ways, I don’t think it makes sense to play Joe and Buddy together; just takes too much away from our defense IMO. 

41 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think Jimmy shot like 29% from 3 this year so not sure he’s much of a shooter but he was very productive for Cornell this past year. Honestly don’t know much about him as a player.

I think Joe can be good in a bench gunner role but it’s hard for me to ever see him being a greatly impactful player. Just an okay shooter and caretaker of the ball and he’s pretty much useless inside the 3 point line and a negative on defense. Unless they develop their games in unforeseen ways, I don’t think it makes sense to play Joe and Buddy together; just takes too much away from our defense IMO. 

Boeheim has said all year that Joe is an underrated defender, and that he's actually a better technical zone defender than kooks and Buddy rn.. just that kooks freelances more according to jim. 

I know Joe isn't your typical SU guard, but he's definitely a way better shooter than his stats show.. somebody with his range is much better than okay 

And he was averaging like six assists per game the last few games 

Again I think kooks is going to be a much better basketball player

But joes going to be absolutely deadly as a senior for whatever team he's on.. hopefully SU still.. in whatever role

**Regarding Jimmy.. I have no idea the type of player he is either.. I always thought I read he was bigger than buddy though, and I figured he can shoot lol

Edited by Buffalo716

44 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

if that’s the case, Maybe Jimmy is like the 8th guy off the bench and is cool to just be along for the ride with his dad and brother. 

JG seems like he will be a better version of Trevor Cooney when all is said and done. I think that is mostly a compliment. 

I think pulling Edwards was stupid, as I'm sure many of us do. He was the only thing keeping us in that game and he gets pulled. Tired my arse. No competitor wants to come out of a game. If he started playing bad, then Ya pull him, but he kept that game close. Boeheim in his older age seems to be more and more arrogant and distant from reality. I realize that cuse probably wouldn't have won that game regardless. Houston is a 2 seed for a reason. Still, Boeheim seems to have a disconnect from reality at times

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I think pulling Edwards was stupid, as I'm sure many of us do. He was the only thing keeping us in that game and he gets pulled. Tired my arse. No competitor wants to come out of a game. If he started playing bad, then Ya pull him, but he kept that game close. Boeheim in his older age seems to be more and more arrogant and distant from reality. I realize that cuse probably wouldn't have won that game regardless. Houston is a 2 seed for a reason. Still, Boeheim seems to have a disconnect from reality at times

I didn’t really appreciate JB’s snarky comment too to the one SU student writer who asked him about pulling Edwards. The kid was the only one with the guts to ask the question, and JB was a total jerk to him. The professional PS reporters just sit idly by, never asking a tough question.  This kid asks a tough question that every person in America who watched that game wanted to know— why did they pull Edwards out in the first half?— and he is ridiculed by the head coach. So unprofessional by JB. 

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I didn’t really appreciate JB’s snarky comment too to the one SU student writer who asked him about pulling Edwards. The kid was the only one with the guts to ask the question, and JB was a total jerk to him. The professional PS reporters just sit idly by, never asking a tough question.  This kid asks a tough question that every person in America who watched that game wanted to know— why did they pull Edwards out in the first half?— and he is ridiculed by the head coach. So unprofessional by JB. 

To be fair, boeheim has been ridiculing and roasting reporters for 45 years 

The snarkiness is nothing new

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Boeheim is kinda the Belichick of college basketball, but even more snarky 

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Boeheim has said all year that Joe is an underrated defender, and that he's actually a better technical zone defender than kooks and Buddy rn.. just that kooks freelances more according to jim. 

I know Joe isn't your typical SU guard, but he's definitely a way better shooter than his stats show.. somebody with his range is much better than okay 

And he was averaging like six assists per game the last few games 

Again I think kooks is going to be a much better basketball player

But joes going to be absolutely deadly as a senior for whatever team he's on.. hopefully SU still.. in whatever role

**Regarding Jimmy.. I have no idea the type of player he is either.. I always thought I read he was bigger than buddy though, and I figured he can shoot lol

I guess we'll see with Joe. I don't think he's going anywhere. To me, he shouldn't be anything more than a 10-15 minutes per game kinda guy. I don't really care about his assist numbers; he doesn't really create offense for his teammates (which is an issue for nearly the entire roster outside of Kadary and Dolezaj). He doesn't shoot the ball well from 3, he's okay at best from mid-range, and flat out terrible at the rim. And he is not a good defender; I don't care what Boeheim tries to convince the media. Someone mentioned Cooney below...Cooney was actually pretty good in the zone; almost always in the right spot and got his hands on a lot of passes. Girard is pretty good at jumping passing lanes but he's slow in his rotations and even if he is in the right spot, everybody can shoot over him without any trouble and get by him without any trouble because he's small and not very athletic. I'm not sure he's a positive contributor even if his 3 pointers are falling, and through two years, they generally are not falling. Kadary and Buddy should both be playing over 30 minutes a game next year and then Joe can have the leftovers if we don't get a better guard through the transfer portal.

Keep in mind, Jimmy and Buddy may or may not take up a scholarship spot, 

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

if that’s the case, Maybe Jimmy is like the 8th guy off the bench and is cool to just be along for the ride with his dad and brother. 

JG seems like he will be a better version of Trevor Cooney when all is said and done. I think that is mostly a compliment. 

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I guess we'll see with Joe. I don't think he's going anywhere. To me, he shouldn't be anything more than a 10-15 minutes per game kinda guy. I don't really care about his assist numbers; he doesn't really create offense for his teammates (which is an issue for nearly the entire roster outside of Kadary and Dolezaj). He doesn't shoot the ball well from 3, he's okay at best from mid-range, and flat out terrible at the rim. And he is not a good defender; I don't care what Boeheim tries to convince the media. Someone mentioned Cooney below...Cooney was actually pretty good in the zone; almost always in the right spot and got his hands on a lot of passes. Girard is pretty good at jumping passing lanes but he's slow in his rotations and even if he is in the right spot, everybody can shoot over him without any trouble and get by him without any trouble because he's small and not very athletic. I'm not sure he's a positive contributor even if his 3 pointers are falling, and through two years, they generally are not falling. Kadary and Buddy should both be playing over 30 minutes a game next year and then Joe can have the leftovers if we don't get a better guard through the transfer portal.

We talk about this with the bills and a lot of Syracuse players.. arent players allowed to grow and develop?

Again I don't think he should be getting 30 minutes a game the way he's playing.. but he absolutely showed some promise as a true freshman, and had a down sophomore campaign 

Buddy only shoots like 4% better from 3. It's not like he's 10-15% better.. And buddy gets to run off screens and set his feet and shoot.. joe shoots threes off the dribble, pulling up, and from the logos.. if you just let him run off screens and catch and shoot he would be a lot more deadly like Buddy 

It's harder to shoot as a point guard

But I agree kooks needs more minutes

• Like (+1) 1