Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

17 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

We need Johnny Hammersticks to find out who the starter that didn't play defense was, saw one person say JGIII, personally I assumed it was Geurrier...he just flat out didn't play last night and barely played the past few games.  He is so frustrating to watch

I’m assuming it’s the starter who didn’t start in the 2nd half, but Guerrier was awful last night too.

37 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Crazy to see how far Cuse hoops have fallen.  Feel like its been years since they have been relevant.  

Well, to be fair, Syracuse was in the final 4 just five years ago and the elite 8 just three years ago, so I think this take is a bit much.

That said, yeah things have been pretty bad the past few seasons.  For this 2-3 zone thing to work, you at least need a big shot blocking center in the middle.  Boeheim has had immense trouble recruiting bigs.

I have been a Boeheim apologist/defender for a long time, but I’m beginning to think he just needs to retire.  His stubbornness is maddening.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Well, to be fair, Syracuse was in the final 4 just five years ago and the elite 8 just three years ago, so I think this take is a bit much.

That said, yeah things have been pretty bad the past few seasons.  For this 2-3 zone thing to work, you at least need a big shot blocking center in the middle.  Boeheim has had immense trouble recruiting bigs.

I have been a Boeheim apologist/defender for a long time, but I’m beginning to think he just needs to retire.  His stubbornness is maddening.

I think all these old coaches need to retire.. Izzo, K, Williams, Boeheim

• Agree 2

I think he really wants to have both kids on the court before he retires.  I think he has earned that at this point.  I also hope that Hop is still in their sites and that he comes back once Boeheim leaves.

we have had a lot of bad luck at center with injuries. Sidibe has just been cursed his entire career. it would be nice to get a big block head like

a Craig Forth to just eat up space for 4 years and at least have the Bball IQ to generally know where to stand.

my other theory is that the zone has just become less effective now that we are in the ACC. The ACC teams on a whole have more skilled guys and it is less physical than the old big East. Once the coaches And players got used to it, it hasn’t been as effective. 

47 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

we have had a lot of bad luck at center with injuries. Sidibe has just been cursed his entire career. it would be nice to get a big block head like

a Craig Forth to just eat up space for 4 years and at least have the Bball IQ to generally know where to stand.

my other theory is that the zone has just become less effective now that we are in the ACC. The ACC teams on a whole have more skilled guys and it is less physical than the old big East. Once the coaches And players got used to it, it hasn’t been as effective. 

I don’t think the zone has been less effective because of ACC competition, I think the zone is less effective because we don’t utilize the proper personnel.  We’ve had Dolazaj playing center for the past 2 seasons.  Dolezaj is wonderful, but he’s not going to cut it against any good teams.  Also, Girard is a terrible defender, Buddy is just average, and Griffin has been so up and down (more down than up).

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

I think he really wants to have both kids on the court before he retires.  I think he has earned that at this point.  I also hope that Hop is still in their sites and that he comes back once Boeheim leaves.

Yeah, he definitely has this blind loyalty to JG3 and Buddy.  I don’t think he has earned that though.  He has an obligation to win games.  He just doesn’t care anymore, and the university would never, ever get rid of him.  

Hop is having an off year in Washington.  I hope he eventually comes back to CNY, but he’s still recruiting very well out west.  We’ll see 🤷🏾‍♂️

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Crazy to see how far Cuse hoops have fallen.  Feel like its been years since they have been relevant.  

Didn't Syracuse win the national championship just last year?

I mean they played the last game of the NCAA college basketball season and they won it, so that seems pretty conclusive to me. 😄

35 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t think the zone has been less effective because of ACC competition, I think the zone is less effective because we don’t utilize the proper personnel.  We’ve had Dolazaj playing center for the past 2 seasons.  Dolezaj is wonderful, but he’s not going to cut it against any good teams.  Also, Girard is a terrible defender, Buddy is just average, and Griffin has been so up and down (more down than up).

I believe it is multiple issues-- personnel, for sure-- but I do think these teams in the ACC have adjusted and just play it a lot better now, and they have the better personnel to beat it.

For example, gone are the days when we used to let a guy catch and shoot the ball from the high post, figuring that a bigger forward out there couldn't beat us on 17-footers or be a nimble passer. That used to be a viable strategy.  The only guys in the old Big East who would really give us consistent issues in that spot were Dante Cunningham at Villanova, and Chevy Troutman at Pitt, when he would absolutely dice us up with shooting or great high/low passing. Other than that, we could live with giving up a 17-footer to a power forward in the middle of the zone. 

Now-- every decent team in the ACC pretty much has a guy who can kill you from that spot.

On a related note, I was thinking about the last great center Syracuse had--at least great defensive center.  Tough to recall.  Maybe Rakeem Christmas (though he was more of a 4).  Possibly Keita?

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Both kids on the court? His oldest graduated Cornell and buddy has 1 year left

No Jimmy is in transfer protocol, perhaps a graduate transfer

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Both kids on the court? His oldest graduated Cornell and buddy has 1 year left

sorry if it wasn't clear, when i said 'both kids' i meant both Jimmy and Buddy

Yeah, he definitely has this blind loyalty to JG3 and Buddy.  I don’t think he has earned that though.  He has an obligation to win games.  He just doesn’t care anymore, and the university would never, ever get rid of him.  

Hop is having an off year in Washington.  I hope he eventually comes back to CNY, but he’s still recruiting very well out west.  We’ll see 🤷🏾‍♂️

4 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

No Jimmy is in transfer protocol, perhaps a graduate transfer

yeah Cornell canceled their season so I forgot he left 

And he's not coming to Syracuse. 

With guerrier, Griffin, Newton and 5* Benny Williams he would not play at forward

Not to mention marek could technically come back since everyone is getting a red shirt

Edited by Buffalo716

36 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Totally forgot to DVR the UNC game. Just caught the last 2 minutes. Anyone have any thoughts on the game?

Buddy boeheim is unstoppable when he is on hahaha 

Richmond and Quincey both went out with something aggravating them and the final few minutes got real tense 

Edwards had some solid moment's on offense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1