Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

They play Jim boeheim's patented 2-3 zone. 

And Notre Dame has seen it dozens and dozens of times so they're well coached for it. They know how to beat it which is with good Crisp passing 

The thing with boeheim , is that he is the architect and master of this defense.. the little tweaks that most people can't see really change the game

Yes playing his patented press sped the game up and help immensely.. but so did how far out boeheim stretched his zone 

if you rewatch the second half Notre Dame's three-point shooters were two or three feet behind NBA 3-point line.. that is super deep range and most college players can't hit that consistently

In the first half they were all stepping into it at the college line.. the way he stretched Notre Dame behind the NBA line was huge

Honestly, today it didn’t look like any wizardry by JB or major adjustments. It looked like the addition of two better defenders for Two Worse ones, and guys just hustling and moving faster. 

I was just watching JB’s Presser and he basically said that he thought the press caused His D to just overall play with more energy and faster in the second half. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Honestly, today it didn’t look like any wizardry by JB or major adjustments. It looked like the addition of two better defenders for Two Worse ones, and guys just hustling and moving faster. 

I was just watching JB’s Presser and he basically said that he thought the press caused His D to just overall play with more energy and faster in the second half. 

Yeah I watched his presser. But he absolutely made halftime adjustments to the spacing in his zone defense

And the press like he said provided energy in his full and half court defense.

Look how far out Notre Dame's guards and forward were handling the ball out in the second half compared to the first.. they were a full 3 ft behind NBA 3-point line.. that's the adjustment

And that's a trademark of Jim boeheims zone adjustment that he's always done.. ND was heaving up 30 footers because how far Jim stretched his zone defense out and they weren't willing to pound it inside

Edited by Buffalo716

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah I watched his presser. But he absolutely made halftime adjustments to the spacing in his zone defense

And the press like he said provided energy in his full and half court defense.

Look how far out Notre Dame's guards and forward were handling the ball out in the second half compared to the first.. they were a full 3 ft behind NBA 3-point line.. that's the adjustment

And that's a trademark of Jim boeheims zone adjustment that he's always done.. ND was heaving up 30 footers because how far Jim stretched his zone defense out and they weren't willing to pound it inside

You might be right. But this was a weird game, and you could be giving JB a little too much credit.

Seemed like the press just threw ND out of rhythm. They were so scared just bringing the ball up court, And when they did, it seemed like mass confusion on offense. 

this is what Buddy said— seemed like this had more with ND being totally out of sorts:

“Even after the press, we just went into zone and they looked like they didn’t know what to do,” Buddy Boeheim said. “Our defense was a little better in the 2-3 for sure, but like they were just passing around the perimeter. They weren’t looking inside. They weren’t looking for Durham on the lob or anything. … They were just out of sorts.”

Regardless, the defense really upped its game in the second half, and this comeback was really a great win. I hope they can build on it for the Duke game. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

You might be right. But this was a weird game, and you could be giving JB a little too much credit.

Seemed like the press just threw ND out of rhythm. They were so scared just bringing the ball up court, And when they did, it seemed like mass confusion on offense. 

this is what Buddy said— seemed like this had more with ND being totally out of sorts:

“Even after the press, we just went into zone and they looked like they didn’t know what to do,” Buddy Boeheim said. “Our defense was a little better in the 2-3 for sure, but like they were just passing around the perimeter. They weren’t looking inside. They weren’t looking for Durham on the lob or anything. … They were just out of sorts.”

Regardless, the defense really upped its game in the second half, and this comeback was really a great win. I hope they can build on it for the Duke game. 

Absolutely Notre Dame look confused and rattled. The look on Brey's face said it all 

and that point about not willing to go inside was kind of what I was getting at. Jims 2-3 zone will lull you into just passing around the perimeter until the shot clock expires 

And he just keeps pushing you beyond the arc further and further.. but you're absolutely right it started with boeheims vaunted press which absolutely sped them up too fast

The tide turned both on offense and defense when #3 entered the game in the 2nd half.  I called it as it was happening, as I was talking to my buddy who needed ‘Cuse -2.5 to finish off a 4 team parlay.  IMO, enough can’t be said about the difference Kadary makes when he’s in the game.  Totally different team.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The tide turned both on offense and defense when #3 entered the game in the 2nd half.  I called it as it was happening, as I was talking to my buddy who needed ‘Cuse -2.5 to finish off a 4 team parlay.  IMO, enough can’t be said about the difference Kadary makes when he’s in the game.  Totally different team.

Yea he had a huge part in it. 

But I think the big fact that nobody's talking about is Alan Griffin being benched. He was playing horrible, selfish, and the ball wasn't moving when he was in there

They take him and Girard out 

Put in a lineup of Richmond, boeheim, Woody Newton, guerrier, and dolezaj and the ball started to suddenly move and they had life

Richmond is tremendous defensively but honestly this whole year they look like a different team when Griffin is on the bench.. sure he can score but they have no energy on offense when out there

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

But I think the big fact that nobody's talking about is Alan Griffin being benched. He was playing horrible, selfish, and the ball wasn't moving when he was in there

Put in a lineup of Richmond, boeheim, Woody Newton, guerrier, and dolezaj and the ball started to suddenly move and they had life

Richmond is tremendous defensively but honestly this whole year they look like a different team when Griffin is on the bench.. sure he can score but they have no energy on offense when out there

Griffin is maddeningly inconsistent.  They do play better when they penetrate and dish though.  I wish KR3 had that little Josh Pace “lob shot” in his arsenal.  He gets to the paint so easily, but if no one is open he seems to be reluctant to put it up.  I’m sure he’s handcuffed by JB on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Even when Griffin is hitting his shots, the offense doesn’t look great with him out there. He’s just an ISO, shoot-first player, with a quick trigger. It’s great when he makes his shots, but even then, the offense is stagnant. 

And he’s not good as a defender in the zone— he is just slow to rotate and get out on shooters on the wing. He can sometimes recover with ridiculous blocks, but all those easy high-lows are usually Griffen’s Fault. (To be fair, he would probably not look nearly as bad in the zone playing next to a legit 5). 

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Griffin is maddeningly inconsistent.  They do play better when they penetrate and dish though.  I wish KR3 had that little Josh Pace “lob shot” in his arsenal.  He gets to the paint so easily, but if no one is open he seems to be reluctant to put it up.  I’m sure he’s handcuffed by JB on offense.

I agree. Will be great to see him develop a more Complete game over time. For now though, KR almost doesn’t need that little floater or pull up. He seems to get to the rim At will, with great body control to sort of hang to make some tough finishes. 

He has to be one of my most favorite freshmen in years. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Braswell, not Newton.

Newton is getting no PT, which is puzzling to me, because he looked like he could play.

23 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Braswell, not Newton.

Newton is getting no PT, which is puzzling to me, because he looked like he could play.

My b, i don't know why I said Newton. I don't think he's played in a month

Braswell hit some 3 and had had energy and he's a rs jr

Boeheim always has a short bench and very rarely plays freshman minutes unless they are studs like Richmond

Edited by Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That was the first Syracuse game I watched all season. Fun watching them come from behind like that, but it was also against mediocre competition.

What does everyone think our odds are of making the tournament?

A win again duke would really help. 

They are right on the cusp like the last four or five years.. ending the regular season on a winning streak will be huge

44 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That was the first Syracuse game I watched all season. Fun watching them come from behind like that, but it was also against mediocre competition.

What does everyone think our odds are of making the tournament?

Firmly on the bubble. I don’t think they will Make it. 

I also doubt they will hold an NIT tournament. I think it would be cool if some of the teams that don’t make the NCAA, instead hold a mini-tourney— maybe like an 8-team bubble tournament over a week. 

20 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Braswell, not Newton.

I was guessing that Newton was injured. Newton looked great early in the year, and then JB mentioned getting him “back in” a few games ago. It made me think that he was dealing with some Injury, but I could be wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was guessing that Newton was injured. Newton looked great early in the year, and then JB mentioned getting him “back in” a few games ago. It made me think that he was dealing with some Injury, but I could be wrong. 

Could be but boeheim just plays a short bench always 

He's usually not playing two forwards off the bench unless there's foul trouble.. and even then he has no problem playing people with three and four fouls

My mom always told me if you don’t have ANYTHING nice to say....

Kadary Richmond is far and away the best player on this team.  Also, Marek Dolezaj is one of my favorite players of the last decade.  Kid always brings it.  

That was painful and disgusting 😔

G’nite ‘Cuse nation 🍊

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My mom always told me if you don’t have ANYTHING nice to say....

Kadary Richmond is far and away the best player on this team.  Also, Marek Dolezaj is one of my favorite players of the last decade.  Kid always brings it.  

That was painful and disgusting 😔

G’nite ‘Cuse nation 🍊

Yeah I've been saying Richmond is the best player for a while