Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Probably battle

Stupid they'd start boeheim over dolejaz

It's Battle. Baylor 5/5 from 3 already. The zone gives up that shot all day you just gotta bet on college players missing.

5/5 is ridiculous. Nothing you can do about that. Hope they get cold..

17 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Probably battle

Stupid they'd start boeheim over dolejaz

I guess Boeheim figures Battle needs another guard on the floor with him. The 2 have been a good back court when together recently.

Dolejaz oughta get just as much minutes as the starters regardless.

Buddy looks rough on defense out there. Flailing at players, no chance at rebounds haha

This dang Mason dude's drawn like 3 offensive fouls for Baylor

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gotta keep Battle out of foul trouble

The same guy keeps drawing charges

Think next year's team might be even worse assuming Battle leaves despite his non-existent draft stock, but then again, a part of me is more interested in seeing next year's team because of the uncertainty.

I was never high on this year's team once we lost Bazley and I also felt like I knew what we'd get with them. I really have no idea about next year. Assuming Battle leaves, I have no feel for what we're going to do at PG or C. If we play the freshmen, we should theoretically have the best shooting team we've had in a long time. Feels like next year might be a disaster if Carey doesn't take a gigantic leap in year 2 though...I like Goodine and Girard but I'm not sure either of them is capable of being the PG that breaks defenses down like we've been severely lacking.

With Boeheim's offensive system (and I use that term loosely because there's not much to it), you really need:

1. At least one guy that handle the ball, both pass and shoot out of ball screens, and sometimes create his own shot 1 on 1
  2. Shooters on the wings and at least one secondary ball handler
  3. A big man that can set screens, catch the ball, and either roll to the hoop or shoot the jumpshot

This season, we basically didn't have any of that. Battle's never been a gifted passer. Chukwu and Dolezaj certainly weren't much of a threat after setting screens. And Hughes and a small stretch of Boeheim were the only shooting we had. It was just never going to work.

I love Chukwu and he was an absolutely incredible defender for us, but his offensive limitations on top of our unwillingness to throw him the ball even when he was completely unguarded was a huge weakness for this team. Add in the insane number of minutes that we give to guys like Brissett that bring almost nothing positive to the team and we had all the makings of a disappointing year; I'm honestly surprised we were as good as we were.

I really hope that we can pull some strings between now and the beginning of next year to bring in a center and a ball-handler (though I REALLY like the looks of the Duruji kid too). Maybe just throw Carey, Goodine, and Girard to the wolves and suffer if they can't handle it and bring in a C and Duruji instead.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

.. and Mason has 16 points

one game potentially coming up on the weekend are both 3 point chucking machines

rough season, that 8/9 game is a meat grinder for two decent team early

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

rough season, that 8/9 game is a meat grinder for two decent team early

While staring down the barrel of Gonzaga. Without reseeding. Seeds in the tournament have a funny impact. I saw an SB Nation chart explaining how 10s have more wins than 8s, and why the level of the difficulty between the 2 is just about even if not in the 10s favor.

I think 5s are the anomaly that is far less successful than 1-4,6

18 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

While staring down the barrel of Gonzaga. Without reseeding. Seeds in the tournament have a funny impact. I saw an SB Nation chart explaining how 10s have more wins than 8s, and why the level of the difficulty between the 2 is just about even if not in the 10s favor.

I think 5s are the anomaly that is far less successful than 1-4,6

Tennis runs into the same thing with seeding problems, many have dined off that one time they lucked out due to an early Grand Slam upset.

The NBA doesn't reseed, allows for 2 games to be played in the second round before the first is finished.

It certainly gets tiring watching teams bang threes vs our zone all game long.  I just want to see man to man once in a while to make teams earn it.  We got some good athletes..  

I'll never understand Boeheim's obsession with it.  Let it be your base D but switch out of it from time to time.  Baylor did and it worked in the 2nd half.

3 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

It certainly gets tiring watching teams bang threes vs our zone all game long.  I just want to see man to man once in a while to make teams earn it.  We got some good athletes..  

I'll never understand Boeheim's obsession with it.  Let it be your base D but switch out of it from time to time.  Baylor did and it worked in the 2nd half.

i was at two engagements he spoke at, the first one he said he doesn't do anything but sit there with a cup of coffee and the newspaper at practice, and even less during games

i have never doubted that for one second.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Tennis runs into the same thing with seeding problems, many have dined off that one time they lucked out due to an early Grand Slam upset.

The NBA doesn't reseed, allows for 2 games to be played in the second round before the first is finished.

I'm not complaining at all. I think it's fun. Makes March Madness all the more crazy.

It's a silly concept to determine the champion and that's what's made it so popular.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P