Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He's been accused of publicly lowering his best players draft stock. I forget who it was recently.. maybe Michael Carter Williams? Where he told the media that a clear NBA first rounder shouldn't be drafted, wasn't NBA ready, needed more development at college, etc. I mean he explicitly said something like he wouldn't draft his own guy into the NBA. That's messed up and rubs fans and players alike the wrong way.

Not a good reputation. I'm sure there's truth to what he's saying sometimes, and it gets overblown, but the MCW thing was BAD. He really didn't choose his words carefully.

He keeps getting NBA buzz a la Brad Stevens at Butler. I'd have to say now Bennett is the best in-game coach in college basketball, would be cool to see him try it in the NBA.

However he seems to have built a powerhouse at UVA whereas Brad Stevens' Butler wasn't meant to last.

That wasn’t Michael carter Williams I don’t believe 

that situation was with tyler Lyndon leaving early and he was right , he wasn’t ready

he is a straight shooter and told Tyler he needed more time and he didn’t listen

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That wasn’t Michael carter Williams I don’t believe 

that situation was with tyler Lyndon leaving early and he was right , he wasn’t ready

he is a straight shooter and told Tyler he needed more time and he didn’t listen

I believe this to be correct.  To be fair, however, Lydon did prove to be a 1st round pick.  He made himself about 3.5 million, and is still on his first deal.  He has been up and down from the Nuggets to their G league affiliate.  I believe he is with the Nuggets now.

I’m not sure that any more years in college would have improved this outcome.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I believe this to be correct.  To be fair, however, Lydon did prove to be a 1st round pick.  He made himself about 3.5 million, and is still on his first deal.  He has been up and down from the Nuggets to their G league affiliate.  I believe he is with the Nuggets now.

I’m not sure that any more years in college would have improved this outcome.

I believe Boeheims mantra about leaving early has always been if you’re a lottery pick, leave... if not... improve till your a lottery pick

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I believe Boeheims mantra about leaving early has always been if you’re a lottery pick, leave... if not... improve till your a lottery pick

Lydon might have been one of my favorite players on that team his sophomore and junior years. Dude turned into the hulk in the most important moments. but if you can go pro you do it man. I'll compromise if the mantra is maybe 1st rounder. Lydon was never going to be a lotto.

but at the end of the day it's such an important decision for a young man THAT DOES NOT NEED TO GO PUBLIC AND HARM HIS DRAFT STOCK. Best case scenario he's right, Lydon stays and improves. Worst case he's wrong and he potentially lowered Lydon's earning potential by saying he wasn't ready.

Do these things in private. Talk to the young man yourself about the biggest decision he's going to make

I'm not going to get any sleep until I figure out what's going on with this AB deal haha.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

19 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Lydon might have been one of my favorite players on that team his sophomore and junior years. Dude turned into the hulk in the most important moments. but if you can go pro you do it man. I'll compromise if the mantra is maybe 1st rounder. Lydon was never going to be a lotto.

but at the end of the day it's such an important decision for a young man THAT DOES NOT NEED TO GO PUBLIC AND HARM HIS DRAFT STOCK. Best case scenario he's right, Lydon stays and improves. Worst case he's wrong and he potentially lowered Lydon's earning potential by saying he wasn't ready.

Do these things in private. Talk to the young man yourself about the biggest decision he's going to make

I'm not going to get any sleep until I figure out what's going on with this AB deal haha.

Tyler Lydon only stayed for 2 years... hence why Boeheim was upset

even battle stayed 3 so far

Edited by Buffalo716

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tyler Lydon only stayed for 2 years... hence why Boeheim was upset

even battle stayed 3 so far

Dangit I thought junior.. I mean my point still stands. 

He's sort of an NBA tweener no? Those guys don't really go up in the draft just having the unfortunate skills to go with their size. Like he's probably learning the NBA as a wing SF which Boeheim never would have had him do.. Sort of like Rakeem Christmas being a dominant C ultimately undersized and needing development as a stretch 4. I'm probably mixing up players right now. Too hyped for the AB news.

Nvm he's a great stretch 4 prospect. I thought he was a bit smaller. Boeheim's probably right. He could have improved. We also desperately needed Lydon to stick around. Boeheim just shouldn't have gone public. And this isn't his first time. And my main concern is it ruins his recruiting for top prospects.

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Welp....

should still make the tourney but... this team is the most inconsistent I can remember 

Florida, Bama, STJ and Texas all lost yesterday. Their resumes are all weaker than Cuse. Cuse will definitely be in the tourney. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tierlifer said:

Florida, Bama, STJ and Texas all lost yesterday. Their resumes are all weaker than Cuse. Cuse will definitely be in the tourney. 

I definitely think SU will be in but TX and Florida prolly have no shot... SU would definitely make it in over Alabama...

St. Johns definitely doesn’t have the talent of SU... but they have put together a good season... they are gonna be right around that bubble probably 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:04 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Welp....

should still make the tourney but... this team is the most inconsistent I can remember 

Agreed. Lot's of individual talent, but no one that has the x-factor of leadership/charisma to get them all playing as a team or hold them together when they go cold in the 2nd half, which we've seen a lot of lately.

More to why I barely pay attention to Syracuse basketball 'til now.

Regular season college basketball, unlike both the NFL and obviously college football, is relatively meaningless.

Hell, it's meaningless even in relation to the NBA.  In the NBA, the regular season tells you who's almost a lock to be in the "final 4" championship games of each conference because they're best of 7 series.

While in college basketball the "one-n-done" NCAA tournament is fun to watch, it's almost no indicator of the best team for that season.

Boeheim becomes a better coach and the Orange always become a better team in the tournament, for some reason, and I'm just expecting that yet again this season after a very BLAH regular season.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

More to why I barely pay attention to Syracuse basketball 'til now.

Regular season college basketball, unlike both the NFL and obviously college football, is relatively meaningless.

Hell, it's meaningless even in relation to the NBA.  In the NBA, the regular season tells you who's almost a lock to be in the "final 4" championship games of each conference because they're best of 7 series.

While in college basketball the "one-n-done" NCAA tournament is fun to watch, it's almost no indicator of the best team for that season.

Boeheim becomes a better coach and the Orange always become a better team in the tournament, for some reason, and I'm just expecting that yet again this season after a very BLAH regular season.

It was a lot more exciting when the only team from the ACC that was allowed into March Madness was the winner of the ACC Conference Tournament.

Of course it meant every year that at least 2 of the top 5 teams in the country were not going to the Big Dance.

36 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

No Tyus Battle = automatic loss

Shoulda just forfeited to Pitt

EDIT: Wow talk about premature Buddy Boeheim went OFF in the second half. Chip off the old block.

Look at this fair weathered guy lol

you think SU without Battle = a guaranteed loss to PITT??  Effing Pitt lmao

i expected a W ... not against Duke but tonight 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Look at this fair weathered guy lol

you think SU without Battle = a guaranteed loss to PITT??  Effing Pitt lmao

i expected a W ... not against Duke but tonight 

Haha. I'm a fan I swear! I just don't have much faith in the team lol. I don't think I've seen them without Battle and we're SO dependent on him yes..

I shamefully thought we were heading to a blowout, even from the lowly Pitt, being down by so much late in the first half. We just have no gosh darn shooters!

Anyways my shameless negativity is a very nice reverse jinx. I'm pretty sure that's what got us into those last 2 final 4 appearances as a 10 seed. Boy I was telling everybody Syracuse had no business in the tournament, in the round of 32, in the sweet 16, in the elite 8, by the final 4 I'm saying it's championship year.. and we lose haha.

16 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Haha. I'm a fan I swear! I just don't have much faith in the team lol. I don't think I've seen them without Battle and we're SO dependent on him yes..

I shamefully thought we were heading to a blowout, even from the lowly Pitt, being down by so much late in the first half. We just have no gosh darn shooters!

Anyways my shameless negativity is a very nice reverse jinx. I'm pretty sure that's what got us into those last 2 final 4 appearances as a 10 seed. Boy I was telling everybody Syracuse had no business in the tournament, in the round of 32, in the sweet 16, in the elite 8, by the final 4 I'm saying it's championship year.. and we lose haha.

SU just Has more talent than Pitt even without Battle.

Pitt has like 2 four star recruits.

SU has like 5 without Battle. It’s still Syracuse 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU just Has more talent than Pitt even without Battle.

Pitt has like 2 four star recruits.

SU has like 5 without Battle. It’s still Syracuse 

Hey.. my reverse jinxes work. It's tried and true. You saw the evidence live 

Now we're SURELY losing to Duke amiright