Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

On 3/31/2020 at 6:50 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I would love to land this kid.  Perfect PG depth for 2020.

Not to be a downer, but it sounds like the interest in this case is not mutual (and really, not sure if he's super interested in Syracuse or if he just wants to make his list look better by throwing us in the ring...it sounds like he's an Oregon-lean).

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So Patrick Tape decommits from Duke and then this....?

Would be a nice get. I have concerns about him, but at worst he's a solid backup to Sidibe.

Edit: Sounds like it will be very shocking if he commits anywhere else but Syracuse. This one is pretty much a lock.

Edited by DCOrange

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hearing whispers about Illinois transfer, Alan Griffin ??????

looks like it is official now. I don’t know anything about him, but seems like he will fit right in and make up for losing some of Hughes scoring.

edit: didn’t realize he was a sophomore transfer, as opposed to a grad transfer. So odds are he sits out a year? 

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

39 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

looks like it is official now. I don’t know anything about him, but seems like he will fit right in and make up for losing some of Hughes scoring.

edit: didn’t realize he was a sophomore transfer, as opposed to a grad transfer. So odds are he sits out a year? 

Yea he has almost no chance to play immediately

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Looks to be that way.  I guess he is applying for some kind of transfer waiver from the NCAA.  That is less likely to be approved.  What is more likely, however, is the NCAA is meeting later in April to vote on a proposal to grant immediate eligibility to all transfers.

Edit: Just did some digging, and it appears the coaching staff expects him to be eligible for the 20-21 season.  Apparently, it is widely anticipated that the NCAA is going to change the transfer rule at the end of April making all transfers immediately eligible. 

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

7 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

very strange. 

TBH, I never bought in to the report that Syracuse "flipped' Tape after he committed to Duke.  Boeheim is close to Krzyzewski, and I don't think he'd try to flip a Duke commit.  '

IIRC, Boeheim asked for Krzyzewski's blessing when Gbinije transferred to SU.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

TBH, I never bought in to the report that Syracuse "flipped' Tape after he committed to Duke.  Boeheim is close to Krzyzewski, and I don't think he'd try to flip a Duke commit.  '

IIRC, Boeheim asked for Krzyzewski's blessing when Gbinije transferred to SU.

yeah, the whole thing seemed very odd. I assumed the “flip” related to Duke signing someone else or one of their bigs deciding to stay in school, cutting into Tape’s PT.

But I will say— very odd that Tape publicly decommitted if it was just a situation of some cold feet. 

I guess we will never know the whole scoop because no one cares enough at this point! 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

yeah, the whole thing seemed very odd. I assumed the “flip” related to Duke signing someone else or one of their bigs deciding to stay in school, cutting into Tape’s PT.

But I will say— very odd that Tape publicly decommitted if it was just a situation of some cold feet. 

I guess we will never know the whole scoop because no one cares enough at this point! 

? ? ? 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Was reading a little about him. Strange that he had no Major offers until a few months ago. Seems like a rawish prospect maybe? 

He is fairly new to oraganzied basketball. Just started a few years ago. He was playing in CNY but transferred to a post graduate academy down south for a year

He grew a few inches and packed on weight. He went from a low-mid major guy to getting power 5 offers the last few months

Great rebounder and surprisingly good touch around the basket

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Was reading a little about him. Strange that he had no Major offers until a few months ago. Seems like a rawish prospect maybe? 

In the free games of his that I watched, he looked like he still didn’t really know what he should be doing on a basketball court. Kind of just floated around on offense while the other guys played and just stood in the middle on defense and waited to see if anyone would attempt to drive at him. Very very long ways away right now but you can’t teach his size. He would have been a redshirt for sure at SU though. 

Edited by DCOrange

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Eli is staying in the draft.  Kill it, kid.

I wish him good luck, but I wonder what the point is. There’s no chance he gets drafted. Even his best mocks have him maybe at the very bottom of the second round, and the mocks usually overshoot on bubble guys like Hughes.

So he’ll probably bounce around the G-league for a few years and hopefully the stars align and he gets into the perfect spot. But odds are, whether  he stays or goes, he has a solid overseas career. 

so, if that’s the case, why not play another year of fun D-1 college hoops?